- Text Size +
Chapter 34

“I’m waiting.” I helped her with her bags, glanced over at the kids and smiled as they all held hands and walked out to the car. And as we piled in, I started the tale.

“And there you have it. She slapped me yesterday, with her ring and Nick, well, Nick got pissed.” She grabbed my arm and took the brace off, frowning as the color.

“A little pissed?”

“Look, it was stupid, and I’m not defending him. Nick is not a physical person. He just got pissed and I’m sure my slapping him around wasn’t healthy.”

“No, but leaving marks on your wrist isn’t either.” I glanced over at her.

“Me leaving a black eye isn’t either here.” She shook her head but started laughing. “I don’t want to talk about him, or her, right now, please?”

“Fine, fine. So, when do I meet AJ?”

“She’s not here to see me, no, it’s my best friend.” I rolled my eyes, clutching at my heart in mock agony.

“Shut up!”

“They are actually on the bus to their next city, so we should be there in a couple of hours and depending on if their tired or not, you might be able to meet him tonight!”

“I look horrible!”

“Hey, that’s not my problem girlie!” She glared at me.

“You’re just wrong!”

-----
I pulled up to the hotel, noticing that the buses were around back. Which was prefect, it told me the guys were already inside and that meant poor Kris was just gonna have to wait.

“Stay here while I go check in. Sure you wanna stay with me? It’s nothing to get another…”

“No, I’ll love to stay. We need bonding time.” I smiled as I got out of the car and made my way inside. I leaned against the counter, smiling as the clerk walked over.

“Thought you ditched us.” I turned around and smiled at AJ as he walked over.

“Never. Just had to pick up my friend.” I waved outside and AJ frowned. “What?”

“Your wrist.” Shit! He wasn’t supposed to see that. I quickly put my hand behind my back. “Bull shit, don’t pull that crap. Why is your wrist in a brace?”

“I twisted it, AJ. I was picking up one of the twins and just moved it wrong.”

“Let me see it.”

“Really, it’s just sore.”

“Theresa.” I sighed but held my hand out to him, allowing him to pull the brace off. I heard the intake of breath and knew that in the faint light he could see the bruising. “He did that?”

“I was going to slap him again and he just grabbed my wrist. It’s no big damn deal.”

“He didn’t have to grab it so hard. I’m gonna kill him.”

“Alex!”

“No, this is wrong.”

“Let it go.” I glanced at the doorway, seeing Kris there with the three kids, her eyes wide open. Despite the situation, I had to smile. “Look, go to bed and we’ll talk about in the morning.” I caught his eyes and knew he was upset but now was not the time to get into it. He quickly gave me a hug and kissed my cheek.

“You know I would gladly kick his ass, right?” I chuckled and nodded my head. I watched him leave before I turned my attention to Kris, waving her in.

“What’s up?”

“Rena had to go to the bathroom.”

“Over there.” She smiled her thanks and made her way over thee. I knew her way to well, I could see the questions burning in her eyes when she walked up to the door, but I wasn’t going to explain anything, yet.

-----
“Is that her?” I glanced up from my menu and turned behind me to see who just walked through the door. “Ugh, could she try and look like you anymore? Better yet, could she look anymore hoeish?”

“I look like a hoe?” Kris glared at me before she glanced over at the couple.

“She’s ugly.” I busted out laughing, causing their heads to turn in our direction.

“Kris!”

“It’s true! Damn, homeboy is stupid!”

“Girl, come on. The kids…” We both glanced at the kids who were very intent on talking to each other and ignoring everyone else. “Never mind. Play nice.” Kris rolled her eyes at that comment. “For me!”

“Fine, fine, for you only.” I tried to stop laughing, but damn, it was nice to have one of my best friends with me. She could be the best back bone, of course, when she wanted to be.

“Theresa.” I glanced up from my menu again and smiled at Nick.

“Hey there. You remember Kris?” I asked, waving in her general direction. Nick’s eye caught the brace and I could visible see him stiffen. Maybe he actually hadn’t thought he hurt it that badly.

“Of course. How you doing?”

“Just great! Thanks to your wife, my bad, ex wife. I’m Kris.” Kris said, holding her hand out a rather pissed off Terri.

“Terri. Nick’s girlfriend.”

“Would honestly love to say it’s a pleasure, but we both know it’s not. So, I won’t lie.” I covered my face, trying to very hard not to laugh because I could only picture the look on her face. I cleared my throat and finally glanced up at Nick. His lips were trying not to smile as well.

“Well, I can see we won’t be friends.”

“Did you honestly think we would be?”

“No, thank goodness. I don’t usually hang out with people who smooch off of others.” I quickly stood at that.

“Nick…”

“You don’t need to talk to my man.”

“Terri, get out of here. You’re not wanted by anyone at this table and that includes these kids.” Terri ground her teeth before she turned on her heel and marched out of the restaurant. “She’s your girlfriend, hush her up.”

“She has a right…”

“Not to dis on my friends.”

“But Kris…”

“Shut it, Carter.”

“Mommy? Daddy? Don’t fight!” I closed my mouth and turned to look at Tamara.

“No fighting baby. Wanna eat here or go to McDonalds?”

“You can’t ignore me.” I quickly whirled around and glared at him.

“I’m not ignoring you. I know damn good and well I can’t.”

“Stay, eat, we’ll go elsewhere.” He nodded his head to the Kris, kissed the kids and than walked out of the restaurant. I stared after him, more than ready to punch both of them.