- Text Size +
Chapter 36

I stood shocked for a moment, as did the other girls, not to mention the kids. That was the last thing I thought would happen, my best friend protecting my honor. I glanced over at AJ and smiled before I rushed over to Nick. I forced his head back and helped him to the bathroom, glancing behind me as AJ left the stage to go outside.

“You just had to say something,” he mumbled as I applied the tissue. I smirked as I pushed harder and heard him squeal. “What was that for?”

“Don’t be an ass, Carter! I’m sorry, but that stupid ass stunt was wrong and you know it! And if it weren’t for those kids, I would have already beaten the shit out of you.” He frowned as he held the tissue now.

“I know. I..it was…” I held up my hand.

“I don’t wanna hear it.”

“But I…” I glared at him and he sighed.

“Just let it go.” He nodded his head at that. “Keep applying pressure to it.”

“I can’t believe he did this.”

“I’m glad he did.” I gave him a pointed look. “Alex was defending my honor. I remember you did the same thing once upon a time.”

“Well, I couldn’t just let some guy treat you like shit, ya know.” I raised my eyebrow and had to giggle at his look.

“That’s all Alex was doing!”

“Really now? I thought you and him were getting closer?”

“Alex and my love life is nothing to you.” I sighed, seeing he wasn’t gonna let that go. “No, there’s nothing. He’s just my best friend here.”

“So, I don’t need to kick his ass?” That had me laughing! Right, wasn’t the nose and sore stomach proof enough Carter would get his ass kicked? Sure, AJ was smaller, but he had power behind him!

“I’ll pay to see that!” He smiled and than winced.

“Wasn’t that our first kiss?” I busied my hands, trying not to sound stupid when I asked the next question, but in all truth, could anyone really ever forget their first kiss with the person they loved?

“What was our first kiss?” He grabbed my hand, his thumb running over the back of it.

“The night I punched that guy?” ‘Oh, shit, why the hell did he have to be sweet!’ my mind screamed! I could stay mad when I was pissed off at him, but not when he was sweet, and the smug ass bastard knew it!

“Yeah, it was, and?”

“And I think it’s really when we stopped fighting that attraction.” I glanced up at him and sighed. He was right, that was our first kiss, it was the first time he asked me out and it was the first time we openly admitted to having feelings. Of course, that was a long ass time ago. I pulled my hand out of his grasp.

“It was, but that was a while ago and quite a few things have changed.”

“Like?” Okay, sometimes he was sweet, the other times he was down right stupid. I narrowed my eyes at that.

“Do you have to ask? You do recall, as well, that night you looked at me, said you loved the fact that I wasn’t all girlish. I also recall asking you later on if you would want to change that and I do believe you answer to that was no, never.”

“I was young than.”

“Trust me sweetie, the fact that you are older doesn’t make you smarter or wiser.”

“You fell for that charm.”

“Yeah, I was stupid than. I believed that forever meant something to you. But, I forgot that if Nick doesn’t get what he wants, he throws a huge ass fit. Somehow he has it in his mind that the world revolves around him and does everything he says. Trust me, I learned once, I won’t be so stupid again.” I turned, seeing Kris standing at the door way, a smile tugging at her lips.

“The kids wanted you.”

“Thanks. Kay, dumb ass, keep applying pressure. And when it stops, you can go play. And before you ask, he didn’t break it.” I tossed him a look over my shoulder, once more ticked at him and his way of thinking. I liked my arm through Kris’s and started making our away back to the stage. She stopped suddenly, causing me to almost lose my balance. I frowned, than followed her gaze, seeing the Great Alexander enter, my hero! I squeezed her arm before I walked over to him. He glanced up, a smile there as he saw me.

“Hey you.”

“Hey. Um, Alex…” he shook his head, his hand resting upon my arm.

“Resa, you have no reason to say anything. Nick was a bastard for what he did. I won’t mention it to anyone else, but I have to admit, punching him felt really damn good.”

“I know, and I want to thank you for that. You’re my hero now.” He laughed, his eyes holding mine. “I’m not proud of what happened and I guess part of me was all the more foolish for wanting to believe something more would come of it.” His fingers brushed a strand of hair away from my cheek, pushing it behind my ear.

“I know it sounds odd, but Nick wouldn’t do that. Sure, he’s a dumb ass, but he does feel something for you. I’m not sure what’s going through his mind though, and why he’s fighting it.”

“Because it’s Nick, and he’s confused and he doesn’t do confusion well. Not to mention things aren’t within in his control. Nick is way too spoiled, always has been, so he hates when things just don’t go his way.” I wrapped my arms around AJ’s neck, squeezing him slightly. “Thank you. You have been such a strong hold through out all of this.” I pressed my lips against his cheek, watching as that smirk came out.

“I wouldn’t mind one of those later, ya know.” I rolled my eyes, turning around and waving my hand for Kris to come over. “Who’s that?”

“One of my dearest friends. When the kids started day care, so did her daughter. Oh, Rena is so cute, a ball of energy. I had to bring them out.” I watched as AJ’s eyes took in her appearance, seeing the smile tugging at his lips, instead of that damn smirk. “Kris, this is Alex, Alex, my best friend.”

“Hi.” She blushed, her teeth tugging on her lip.

“Hi. I’m glad you could make it out.”

“I was asked.” I rolled my eyes at that, seeing her laugh at that. “I didn’t mean to intrude on you all. I’m gonna go back…”

“Intrude? Kris…”

“No, moments with your boyfriend are always supposed to be private.” My jaw dropped as I saw her turn on her heel and march back over to the stage.

“Boyfriend huh?” I closed my eyes, freezing as I heard that all too noticeable whiny voice.