- Text Size +
Chapter 38

“You look like you need a friend?” He glanced behind him and than turned back around, shrugging.

“Nick…”

“J, don’t even, okay? You’re not sorry, and I know damn good and well I needed it. Besides, it was only a matter of time before you found out and you have always defended her. Why should this be any different?”

“Wanna explain what’s going on in your mind? They’re complaining about the smoke you know.” Nick smiled and shook his head, once more glancing over at AJ.

“Man, have you ever loved two women at the same time?” AJ quickly sucked in a breath.

“Dude, that’s..um, wow. You know, I honestly can’t say that I have.”

“I know I shouldn’t be talking to you, you’re the last person who’s going to give me sane advice, but, it dawned on me today, when Terri made those comments about the kids, that forever is a rather long time. I love her, there’s something about her, but on the same note, I love Resa. That’s never stopped, and I’m not sure it ever will.”

“It sounds like you have a serious problem there man.”

“You are no damn help.”

“What do you want me to tell you Nick? Your right, my advice might not be the best, but I can tell you that Terri doesn’t love you for you, and you are aware of that, or at least you better be.”

“I know, I know, I know. But that doesn’t stop my feelings. If I merged Theresa and Terri, that would be the perfect woman, ya know that right?”

“Maybe for you man.” Nick glanced over at him, raising an eyebrow in question.

“Someone caught your eye?” AJ quickly glanced away, a blush creeping up over his cheeks. “Oh, someone has. Let me see, has to be someone who just came around…oh, yes, Miss Kris and her darling daughter Rena!”

“Whatever man!” Nick chuckled as AJ quickly got up and left. But he stopped, turning around and glancing at Nick. “Resa has always been one of my best friends. I won’t lie to you man, and say I never thought about dating her, I did, almost tired it. But she’s too close to me to date her. Not to mention, I don’t have her heart, never did. I personally think man; you need to examine your heart.” Nick glanced up at Alex, his blue eyes clear.

“What if she changes?” Alex shrugged; not needing to ask who the she was that he was referring to. He knew both parties to well.

“Nick, dude, you know better than to live life based on what ifs. If you love someone, you love everything about them. Faults, bad habits, stupid sayings, everything man.” Alex raised his eyebrow. “You need to really to think over it.”

-----
I sat down next to her, laying my head on her shoulder. She groaned, and than tried shaking it off.

“Oh, for crying out loud!” I busted out laughing, moving away from her. “So annoying you are!”

“Oh, stuff it Kris, you know you love me.”

“Only because you brought me on here.” I rolled my eyes at that. She laughed, throwing some popcorn at me. “Talk to me.”

“About what?”

“Him.” I stopped picking up the popcorn and glanced at her.

“What do you want to know?”

“You didn’t want to change then, why change now?” I tugged on my lip, nodding my head, not knowing how the hell to answer that. I glanced outside, watching the scenery before glancing at her.

“I was young than. I thought if you loved someone, it stayed. That you never had to change never had to be...” I paused, my eyes roaming over things but never really paying attention. It slammed into me, into my thoughts, exactly what Nick wanted. Sure it was a change, and maybe it was a little more girlish, but even when I met him, I still dressed up, had some make up, did try to make him notice me. And as time went on, and marriage happened, and than kids, I figured the love would always be there, but I never figured on the passion. That’s what faded, the passion. I wasn’t, well, I sure as hell couldn’t claim I was ever sexy, but I wasn’t beautiful anymore.

“Theresa?” I had, lost it, dogged down if that made sense. The make up became less, and my attire was nothing more than jeans, which were certainly more baggy than tight and tee shirts, which were about two sizes to big. What guy would want that?

“I..I…”

“Theresa?” Kris scooted over, her hand rubbing my arm. “What is it girlie?”

“It all makes sense.”

“What makes sense?”

“Nick. What he thought. What he did. What he said. Hell what he asked. It just hit me, I now get it.” Kris’s brows scrunched together in confusion.

“Um, not following.” I shook my head, laughing.

“You wouldn’t. You know Nick asked me to change. And I always thought he was after something. He was, but he wanted me like I used to be. I went down a very bad hill and had changed. I just, I figured he loved me, why did I need to try and look good.”

“Oh, you let things slide.”

“Yes.”

“And what he wanted was to really have the old you back?”

“Maybe a little more improved me, but yes.”

“Wow. And it’s just hitting you now.”

“Now I really thought about it. Now, I really don’t want him back.” Kris leaned back against the arm of the couch, her arms crossed over her chest. “What?”

“Don’t want him back?”

“Nope,” I answered.

“Are you for real?” I glanced over at her, my eyes locking with hers, no smile tugging at my lips.

“As real as a heart attack.”