- Text Size +
Chapter 45

He quickly jumped up from the couch, making his way over to the door, surprised to find Brian standing there. Nick swallowed a couple of times, patiently waiting to hear what this man said. Not like he didn’t get all off his chest last night.

“Man, I’m sorry.” Nick froze in his tracks, more than surprised.

“Why? What you spoke was the truth.”

“Yes, but it’s your life, not mine.”

“But you’re our friend. I can’t take back what happened. I was stupid, I wanted to push her away and that was the only way I thought possible.”

“You achieved that.”

“I did, and I’m starting to regret it.” But before Brian could ask and Nick could comment, Baylee flew into the room.

“Okay, okay, can we please do it now?” Nick looked from Baylee to Brian, an eyebrow shooting up in a silent question.

“I may have, kinda told Baylee that you were the king of pranksters and jokes. And when I made a mention of shooting water balloons from our hotel room one day, he thought it was funny and wanted to do it again.”

“Bri, you are aware I’m a grown man with two kids of my own right?”

“Yeah.”

“And you’re older man with a kid of your own, right?”

“Yeah.”

“So, why would we act like kids again?”

“Because, NICKY, everyone knows you’re still a kid here.” That was all the encouragement Nick needed, ushering his kids and Baylee into the bathroom to fill up the balloons.

“Do we have a target Uncle Nick?”

“Anyone below is subject to a water balloon. It’s just the way it goes.”

“But what if we hit someone like mommy?”

“Than you pray she’s forgiving Thomas.” The twins laughed, splashing each other with water already. “Hey, hey, save it for the balloons. It’s better. Ready guys?” The kids nodded, trying to tie the balloons, their tongue’s sticking out their side of their mouths.

“They remind me of you man.”

“They are my kids Bri. I swear, they get more and more like me every day. I really have no idea how Resa does it.”

“Eh, if you ask me, I think half the time she’s too much like you. A big kid at heart. That’s why you two work, ya know.” Nick made no to move to voice his thoughts, but in his heart, he knew the truth. Knew exactly what Bri meant and he really couldn’t agree more.

“Here, let me tie them for you, otherwise we’ll be here all day.” Nick made quick work of them before heading over to the window, laughing at the unsuspecting people below.

“When daddy?”

“In 3, 2, 1, drop them.” Both kids looked at each, saw Terri down below, beamed and dropped two balloons right on her, laughing as she screamed.
“NICK, TAMARA, AND THOMAS! When I get up there, I’m hurting you!”

----
I glanced around me, sliding my key card into the room, taking a deep breath before entering. This felt so wrong, but I needed the answers, and I needed them now. Finding drugs at three different times, in the same dressing room, was not a good feeling to have. And, well, not that I wanted to be checking his room, but it was the best thing to prove it wasn’t him. And it’s what part of my job was. I sighed, walking around the living room, seeing nothing out of the ordinary. But, than again, I couldn't just skim over it and say I really looked.

I ran my hand over my face, knowing if he was to stash anything, it wouldn’t be here. Too many people stayed in his room. More than likely, it would be in his bedroom. I made my way in their, shaking my head at the clutter that was already forming. Amazing that that man never seemed to lose anything while on tour. On the surface, nothing looked off the wall. Taking a deep breath again, I closed my eyes, hating this with every passing moment.

I made my way over to his nightstand, thinking if he was to hide it there, it would be beyond stupid. Most anyone would check there first. And as I opened the drawer, I felt my heart stop. Laying there was the bags, not to mention some needles. I sat down on his bed, pulling out the drugs, too shocked to do anything but stare. He was…I couldn’t…I had hoped…words couldn’t even connect in my mind at this point. How the hell did I tell management this shit? I was given strict rules, keep all drugs at bay, and I hadn’t done that. I had been too focused on my own personal problems, on my own personal vendetta that I didn’t see what I should have seen. But, none of the signs were there in him.

I grabbed the needles, placing both items in a larger bag, knowing that the rest of the room was clean. I checked my phone, knowing that I had to set up a meeting as soon as possible, but before that, I need to have a confrontation and it was one I was dreading. How the hell…where the hell did I start? I shook my head, softly closing the door than turning around to run smack into Kris.

“Hey. What are you doing? Why were you Alex’s room?” I swallowed, seeing Alex come up right behind Kris.