- Text Size +
Chapter 50

I groaned as I heard the ringing in my ear, knowing that damn ring tone. I flipped my cell phone open, squeezing my eyes shut.

“Carter here.”

“Someone sounds grumpy.”

“What can I do for you George?”

“Hey now, do not get that bitchy attitude with me.” I rolled my eyes, my temper on a tight leash. “I’m getting asked by my superiors here what your game plan is.” I gritted my back teeth, biting the inside of my lip to keep my anger in check.

“George, you, and your people will get an update and a game plan when I think it’s necessary to give you one. In the mean time, sit on your damn fingers and rotate, because I just don’t give a shit.” With that, I slammed my phone shut, growling. I picked up my gym clothes and quickly changed, grabbing my gym bag on the way out of my room. I checked on the kids, seeing them asleep, along with Nick, a smile on his lips. I growled again, even more pissed off. I stalked out of the room, yelling at the security guard who was on the phone than made my way to the gym.

-----
Forty five minutes later, I eased up on the punching bag, seeing AJ headed my way. I shook my head, watching has he grabbed the bag, looking at me. I shrugged, punching it with even more force, sending the bag into his chest. His eyes opened wide, letting out a whoosh of air.

“What…the...hell was that for?”

“You wanted to hold it. I know you’ve been watching me beat the shit out of it for the last few minutes.”

“Yeah, I did notice. Do you wanna talk?” I grabbed my towel and water bottle, raising my eye brow at him.

“No offense Alex, but no.”

“Oh, uh, okay. I understand, but…”

“Look, I have a lot of shit going on, the last thing I need is to discuss it with the likes of you. You wouldn’t understand anyway. Not that it matters. I’m calling management and leaving anyway.” With that, I grabbed my bag and walked away, leaving him stunned. I shook my head as I headed to the elevator, feeling even more pissed off at Alex and Nick for doing this to me. I stepped off the elevators, deciding I needed to check Alex’s room one more time before talking to management.

I leaned my head against the door, taking a deep breath as I slid my key in finally and stepped into the room, glancing around before heading into the bedroom. I made a quick dash to the nightstand, opening both drawers and letting out a breath when I found nothing. I sat down on the bed, pulling my lip between my teeth. If Alex was the one doing drugs, he would have missed the stash that I have taken these last few times. So, what if he wasn’t doing it? Who the hell would have access? No one! But, when all this happened those many years ago, he was more than pissed when his stuff was taken away. So, if not him, someone was placing this shit. Again, who?

“Resa, what are you doing in Alex’s room” I quickly jumped up, pushing the drawers in and turning to look at Kris. She watched my movements, her brows wrinkling together. “What are you looking for?”

“Uh, nothing. What are you doing coming out of his bathroom?”

“I fell asleep on the couch with Rena. And we just got done taking a bath.”

“Right. Taking it a little far a little fast, don’t you think?” Mentally, I cringed, not quite believing that slipped out of my mouth.

“Wait, what are you implying there, Theresa?”

“I’m not implying anything. I just think you’re moving a little fast, unless you’re out to snag yourself a man.” My eyes opened wide after that.

“That’s what you think, huh? Some damn friend I have! What a bitch you are!”

“Kris...wait…I…”

“Screw you! You are such a fake as it is. And why would I believe you now? You don’t believe anything or anyone!”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re looking for drugs! In Alex’s room!” My jaw dropped as Alex stepped into the open doorway, his eyes darting from me to Kris and back to me.

“Is that true, Theresa?” I swallowed hard, seeing Nick step up behind AJ, the twins clinging to each of his hands. I glanced around at all the faces staring at me, than quickly covered my mouth, running past everyone and down the hall way, down the stairs and out the lobby, passing both Kev and Bri.

-----
“She seriously thinks you’re doing drugs?” Howie looked up at AJ, his eyebrows raised in disbelief.

“I don’t know dude. Resa and I have been close. I’m not sure she would believe that or even if she does. She has no grounds for it.” Alex sighed as he paced the room, all eyes on him. “You guys know I’m not doing that!”

“We know man. But that means that someone around us is and that someone planted it,” Brian said, running his fingers through his hair.

“I think that’s part of the reason she’s leaving.” Nick’s head flew up at that.

“What do you mean, Alex?”

“This morning, Resa was beating the hell out of a punching bag and when I talked to her, she said she was talking to management about leaving. I didn’t think she would though.”

“Damn it!” This time all heads turned to Nick. “Theresa has been with us for years. I hate to see her leave because things tend to get somewhat tough. And you call can stop staring at me! I know I’m part of it as well, thank you!”

“Man, all of us here don’t like Terri,” Kevin softly stated, not wanting to raise Nick’s anger anymore.

“I know Kev. Look, I just have to work through some things. But, I know Resa. She wouldn’t leave. She loves us and her job too much.” With that, Nick got up from the chair and stalked out of the room, reaching for his phone.

-----
I finally stopped running and rested against the side of the building. I knew Alex wasn’t behind the drugs. Both my heart and my mind screamed it. And, although that was a good sign, there still was a bad side. Someone was sneaking drugs into places behind my back and than planting them. Someone had to be conniving and vindictive for something like that. My mind flashed different faces through it, and yet rejected them right away. Wait! I both frowned and smiled as I thought of a roadie whom I should have questioned more. He could have gotten into the dressing room, that wouldn’t be so hard. But, in a room? No, which means he was working with someone.

And now, thinking about it, that was not cheap cocaine. That was the top of the line, which means that was a pretty damn penny. More than what a road crew could afford. So, who could he be working with? I slowly started walking back to the hotel, my mind reeling, not paying attention to the group of girls I ran into.

“Excuse me ladies.” They all smiled before one of them opened their eyes wide.

“Aren’t you Theresa Carter?” I paused, glanced at her and nodded. “Gosh, you’re so much prettier than Terri.”

“Oh, thank you. And you are?”

“I’m Angel. This is Summer,” she said, pointing to the lady on her right. “And this is Paula,” pointing to the lady on her left.

“It’s a pleasure ladies.”

“And certainly much nicer than Terri. She just walked by us and ignored us.” I looked at Summer, frowning.

“I’m sorry.”

“Even lifted her nose in the air. She’s such a hoe. I don’t see why Nick left you for her.”

“Thank you, Paula. You just did wonders for a girl’s ego. I’ll see you later.” I raised my eyebrow as I left, the wheel in my mind spinning even more.