- Text Size +
Chapter 57

I turned my back, covering my mouth, the same as Kris, hoping the laugh wouldn’t come out. But the moment Terri started cussing and screaming, we couldn’t help, we busted out laughing.

“Damn it Theresa, I have a fat lip and a scar on my face thanks to you and now I have food all over me!”

“That wasn’t my fault.” I stood up, laying some money on the table and turning to Terri, looking her over. “That was yours. Let me give you a touch of advice, if you want to stay with Nick and all. Don’t be mean to the fans. Trust me, at any given moment in time, he will chose the fans over you!” I gave her a saucy wave, than linked my arm through Kris’s as we walked back to the hotel.

“Woah, that woman was heated!”

“I know, and it was lovely wasn’t it?” I smiled all the more as Kris laughed.

“Wish I had a camera on my phone.” I stopped in the middle of walking and turned to Kris.

“You’re brilliant.”

“We know this, but why now?”

“If I can get a recording device, stick it on a pin or something and attach it to Terri, I maybe able to get the proof I need. I could follow her one day, but I don’t have the time for that. I can get that little microphone though; I have so many friends who have tons of gadgets.”

“And you give it to Terri how? Seeing how she’s your bestie and all?” I gave her a huge grin and shrugged.

“Nick of course!”

-----
I heard the door open and shut as I finished pulling my hair into a French twist and heard Nick talking to the kids. I grabbed the black pin stripped jacket and walked out into the room, smiling as he sat down on the couch with the kids. He glanced up, his eyes taking in the very professional business suit.

“Where in the world are you going?”

“I have a meeting. I shouldn’t be gone long actually.”

“With who that you look so fancy? And I do not recall ever seeing you in something like that.”

“I didn’t own a lot, they were suits if anything not skirts. And a meeting with management. They called me earlier, said I needed to talk to them. So, I’ll be back later.” I bent down, giving the twins each a kiss, chuckling as Nick stuck his cheek out, kissing it as well. “Behave!”

“We always do!”

“Right. Do not destroy my room guys. Or it’s coming out of your check buddy boy!”

-----
Ten minutes later, I sat down in the conference room, looking at the people, my foot tapping on the carpet, listening to what they had to say. I sighed, for the umpteenth time, wanting to smack each and everyone of them.

“Look, I’m not saying that I am totally positive it’s Terri. I’m simply saying I know it’s not the guys.”

“And you know this how, Ms Carter? Because you’re friends with all the guys?” I slammed my hand on the table as I stood up, smoothing out my suit.

“You asked me for my report, and informal one at that. I told you I didn’t have proof, solid proof, but I had my hunch. I’ve been in this business, I’ve seen the signs. My best friend is AJ and I saw the problems he went through. My own husband wasn’t safe from the sins of fame either. I know what I see, but I can’t give that to you without you questioning it. I’m asking for a little more time. Give me a week and I will get that proof you need.”

“Ms Carter, how can we be sure it’s not some lovers quarrel? Or some personal vendetta against Terri? She’s a harmless enough woman, from what I’ve seen.”

“She is, Ms Lawrence, honestly? And what if I told you she was ruining your incoming cash flow because she slapped a fan who longer wants to be a fan and spend the hundreds of dollars. Are you so naïve that you think fans hold such little power? Or what if calling them names made them change their minds about being so loyal? Open your eyes. Terri is not good news. Yes, I have problems with her due to my ex husband, but this is not something personal. This is about her doing something illegal and the fans, the guys, us, paying for it. Now, do you want me to do my job or are you going to hound me?” They looked at each other before nodding. “Thank you. I promise, in one week, you’ll have what you need.” With that, I grabbed my jacket and quickly left, slamming the door behind me.

-----
I walked around the hotel, letting my thoughts run wild, thinking of other ways I could get the proof, just in case this stupid little chip didn’t work. Not that I didn’t have faith in my friend; my faith was lacking in Nick. I was sure he wanted his kids, but I wasn’t sure anymore where his heart or his true feelings may lay. I sighed, reaching up and undoing the twist, feeling someone behind me and smiling as I turned.

“Hey stranger.”

“Hey yourself. It’s not everyday one finds you all fancied up. Lookin’ might nice in that suit.”

“Always a flirt. And where is your bodyguard?”

“James needed some fresh air, I didn’t think a few minutes would hurt.” I rolled my eyes at D.

“Shame, shame, shame.”

“Why are you all done up?”

“I had a meeting, with management. They aren’t exactly happy with my process about this whole drug deal.”

“They know about it?”

“Oh yeah. They know everything.”

“Why, do you report everything?”

“Not me. But they have others that do. So, they were drilling me about it and I’ve been here thinking.”

“Trying to figure out how to nail Terri?”

“What?” Howie shrugged as I gave him a pointed look. No one but a select few knew my thoughts. Unless your wife was Terri’s best friend and you yourself were one of my best friends.

“It’s pretty simple. Besides, Leigh told me she talked to you. She’s worried, not just over Terri, about you. She doesn’t think Terri’s quite stable anymore.”

“No shit on that. Not with the stunts she’s been pulling.”

“I know. So, any ideas?”

“A couple. But most of them involve Nick, since he’s really the closest one to her. I…I’m just not sure I can trust him.” Howie gently placed his hand on my arm, drawing my eyes back to his.

“Nick would do anything for you and the kids. Anything. I think Nick’s feelings are getting less and less confusing. He really does know who he wants, it’s just a matter of telling her. Resa, trust Nick. If he knows you really trust him, really have faith in him, he would…he will…kick Terri to the curb.” He turned around, starting to push James once more before stopping and looking at me. “Theresa.” I looked at him, hardly ever hearing him call me by my real name. “Nick loves you. He knows he made a mistake. Don’t let the past ruin what he wants to do in the future.”