- Text Size +
Chapter 59

I dived into the pool, yanking up the girl before she could swallow to much water and hefted her up on the edge, quickly getting out and patting her back, letting her cough up the little she did get out. Terri came up, sputtering and wiping the hair out of her face, as well as the other girls.

“You stupid bitch! Terri, she could have died!”

“They shoved me!”

“And you had no damn right say what you did.”

“It’s your word against mine Resa!”

“Bull shit, I have proof. Did you forget D was here?” At that, her eyes opened wide, turning and seeing Howie sitting on the steps at the shallow end, James patting the water. “Not to mention the other girls and all the kids! God, you only think of yourself! What the hell he sees in a self centered, shallow, uptight, snooty bitch is forever beyond me! Kids, get your towels, let’s go.” Howie picked James up, helping the rest of the girls and walking over to Samantha.

“It’s not much hon, but how about I give you, and your friends, backstage passes and front row seats?”

“T..thank you H…H..Howie.” She smiled, wrapping my towel tighter around her.

“Your welcome. It’ll be at will call, under Theresa Carter.” She nodded her head and I smiled at D.

“Take the kids up; I’ll take care of the girls.”

“Finally,” Terri muttered, walking over to her stuff.

“Not like that.” The girls gathered up their stuff and started walking out. Terri stood by the edge of the pool, watching them leave. I hosted my bag over shoulder, unable to resist and shoved her back in the pool, her cell phone in hand, quickly closing the gate to her heated shrills and name calling.

-----
I plopped down on the couch, clutching my wrap against my chest as I just stared at Nick. “Why are you doing this?” Nick Carted does not take anyone shopping, except his kids, and even that depends on his mood and what his kids need.

“Because La Fuente is a nice place to go to. And you need a nice outfit.”

“I have nice outfits.”

“Okay, something no one has seen you in.” I bite my lip, glanced at the kids and shook my head.

“But I’m not eating there. I’m working, and you know that.” He sat down on the coffee table before me and rested his hands on my knees.

“La Fuente is our place. I’m going there with no one else but you.”

“And what about your girlfriend?”

“Terri just gets to deal with being alone for a night.” I let out a sigh, running my hand over the back of my neck, hating Carter and the charm he possessed.

“Does it have to be the mall?”

“Yes, no, stop stalling and go put something on.” I laughed as I watched him. He was like a kid on so many levels, the tiniest things making him happy.

“You don’t like my suit?” I asked, finally standing up. Nick stood as well, his hands brushing my arms and his eyes turning darker.

“I do. And I prefer no man seeing you like that. Now…go!”

-----
Twenty minutes later, I linked my arm through Nick’s, actually enjoying his company. He had my laughing the whole way to the mall. And, it almost felt like he was trying…too court me, for lack of a better way of describing it. He was that man I once remembered and loved. The same sweet, charming, romantic, yet kid like Nick. And that was starting to scare me. Had things changed over the course of the last few months? A huge…YES! It was what I wanted, I couldn’t deny that. But at the same point in time, I also knew that I didn’t want the same ol’ Nick. I loved him, no doubt, but I grew up. Things within me had changed, and I wasn’t asking Nick to change, I loved most of his ways, but I needed him to grow up a little. To see me as me, not just a wife and value our relationship, our home.

It was way too easy to let things slide if you weren’t willing to work for it. And I know that’s where a lot of our problem laid before. Nor did we talk to each other anymore. I saw the way Brian confided in LeighAnne, I heard it often enough. And I saw the way Howie and Leigh were patient with each other and helped one another. There, at the end of our marriage, Nick and I weren’t like that. Granted, we started off that way, but we didn’t end that way. And the blame, laid at both of our feet.

But, like I said, I changed. I know that. I know what happened and I’m willing to learn and grow from that. The problem was, was Nick? If he honestly wanted me back, honestly wanted his family, I wasn’t seeing it. Sure, he was courting me, trying to win back my affections (let’s be honest, I’m not sure he really ever lost it) but I needed more. And I wasn’t too sure he could give me more. Or if he even knew how to give me more. I wasn’t asking for the world, believe me, I knew better than that. But a small little star to have wasn’t too much trouble I thought.

“Penny for your thoughts.” I lifted my eyes from the floor to his brilliant blue ones, having to agree with all those plenty of fan fiction writers that said his eyes often rivaled the ocean. They did, they were truly a gorgeous blue. And even sparkled, if you had the heart to look close enough.

“Did anyone ever tell you, Nick, that you’re eyes sparkle. They get this...bright blue to them when you’re happy?” His lips lifted up…and I’ll be damned, Nickolas Gene Carter just blushed! “What the hell is that?”

“What is what?”

“On your cheeks. They are pink! Nick, are you blushing?”

“No.” He turned his head, but I saw that pink get even deeper.

“Yes you are.” I grabbed his hand, linked his fingers with mine and made him turn to look at me. “And you have no idea how damn sexy you are when that happens.” I rolled my eyes as that sweet little smile turned into a smirk, shaking my head to ignore the smart ass comment he was about to give. “So, we need a dress.”

“Yes we do. And I’m picking it, so let’s go.”

-----
I looked in the mirror at the blue and silver dress, playing with the long flowing skirt and smiled, happy to finally find a dress after two hours of searching.

“I like it!”

“Finally!”

“Nick, you picked dressed that were too short or too skimpy. I am a mother for crying out loud.” He stood up behind me and rested his hands on my shoulders.

“You are, but you still have the right to be out in public and look sexy. Look at this dress. It’s a thin, off the shoulder style, a low back and a rather low front that gathers right under the breasts, so it’s actually highlight your top body of your body very much.” I stared at him in the mirror, my skin burning from his contact. Somehow, I managed to breath, granted, it was cut short when he leaned down and brushed his lips over my neck. I shivered as I closed my eyes.

“Nick…”

“Hmmm?” I wanted to believe that this sweetness would never end, but my eyes shot open as I heard a rather loud gasp behind me and saw Terri staring at us.