- Text Size +
Chapter 60

“What the hell is going on Nick?” I glanced from Terri to Nick, feeling like a fool ten times over. I was about to walk back into the changing room when Terri grabbed my arm. “Oh no little wifey, this involves you too. Are you trying to steal my man? What are you doing here anyway? What happened to having a night out with the guys, Nick?” Nick’s jaw clenched and I realized that he hadn’t told Terri a damn thing. That, he in fact, had lied to her. Part of me was rather pissed off by that notion, and the other part, the other part was a little more happy, yet I couldn’t understand why.

“Terri, quiet it down. You don’t need to make a scene.”

“Like hell I don’t. Why are you with Resa?”

“Because I’m taking her shopping.” Terri looked like she just got slapped in the face by that simple statement.

“Shopping? For what? Why the hell is she wearing such a fancy dress?”

“Because she’s going to La Fuente.”

“I know, as your bodyguard.”

“No, as my date.” Terri’s jaw dropped as she looked at him than at me.

“I’m your girlfriend, Nick, not her. Remember, you didn’t want her anymore. You’re not allowed to change your mind.”

“I’m not changing my mind, Terri. This dinner is a huge deal for us, for the guys. And, I’m sorry, you’re not going.” I glanced down at the floor, my heart dropping. Okay, I wasn’t happy anymore. But, wait, no, he needed to stay with Terri, I wasn’t done getting my proof and the chip would be to me within two days.

“Yet Resa here gets to go? Kris, the newest edition gets to go? What the hell am I missing?” Nick pinched the bridge of his nose and I stepped up to him.

“Terri, I wasn’t asked by Nick, I was asked by management. Nick was just being nice and offered to get me something. But this was a quiet dinner and it was only supposed to be for those who have been there from the start. As you know, AJ does not follow the rules.”

“Neither does Nick, or did you forget about the affair?” I wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of even flinching before her, for I knew that’s what she wanted. Did the dagger hit the mark? Oh yeah, but I knew better.

“No, I’m not stupid blondie.” I looked at Nick, shrugged my shoulders and grinned at Terri. “Did you ever stop to think that the shoe might be on the other foot though?” With that, I left, heading back into the dressing room.

-----
Nick covered his mouth so he wouldn’t laugh as he saw the outraged look on Terri’s face.
“What did that wench just mean?”

“Nothing. Just let it go.”

“Fine. So, am I going to La Fuente? If I do go, I’ll forget you lied to me and I promise we make it up tonight. I even have this sexy little number I just bought.” She walked up to him and ran her nails down his chest. “Like when we first got together and I always wore those little numbers for you. What do you say sweetheart?”

“Terri, do you think our relationship is based upon sex?”

“Well, no, not really. You love me, just like I love you.”

“Really? Or do you love the things I can do for you?”

“Nick, no, I love you.”

“Terri, are you being honest with yourself? With me?”

“I know everyone says means things about me, that I only want you for your money for what you can do for me, but that’s not true. I want you, really, just you.”

“If that’s the case, why are you beating up on my fans?”

“I am not.”

“I know everything you have done. Really Terri, please. If you love me, don’t let them get to you.” She sighed, crossed her arms and than huffed.

“Fine, I won’t be bitchy to them. Now will you please send Theresa on her way?”

“No. I have a couple things I have to discuss with her about the kids.”

“Okay, okay, got it. But, I still get to go to La Fuente right?” Nick glanced down at her, something in him twisting as her looked at her. She no longer appealed to him anymore. In fact, it could be stated that he started finding her rather plain.

“Yeah, if you promise, no more abuse to my fans. They mean to the world to me Terri; I won’t have you hurting them again!”

“No more, got it. Than I’ll see you later sweetie.” She stood on her tip toes and kissed him, letting it linger, yet he honestly felt nothing but revulsion towards her. A sure sign that he was falling out of love with her. He sighed, glanced at the dressing room and froze.

“Don’t worry Carter, I heard and saw it all.” I handed him the dress and walked up with him to the cashier.

-----
I sat down at the table, swirling my ice cream around, feeling Nick’s gaze on me.

“What?”

“You’re thinking of something?” I shrugged. My brain was on overload actually with all the thoughts flooding through it.

“I can’t pin point one thing actually.”

“Try to.” I licked my spoon and finally looked up at Nick.

“Are you trying to make me the other woman?”

“No. At least, that’s not my intention.”

“Than what is, Nick? Because I’m getting really confused. All afternoon you’ve been sweet, funny, charming, the way you once were. Than Terri rolls up, and you’re kissing her, telling her things that you told me weren’t going to happen. So, I’m really confused.” Nick sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

“I don’t have…the same feelings for Terri anymore. I don’t, I don’t know. I spend time with you and it’s like, you feel right for me. You…make me want to be better. I even resorted back to wearing it.” He held up his left hand and I just about fell out of my chair as I saw the gold band sitting there. “Terri hasn’t noticed, I doubt she would. And since I’ve slipped it on, I really haven’t touched her. I don’t want to.”

“So, are you willing to believe me now when I tell you I’m dead certain she’s the one with the drugs?”

“Of course. I don’t recall really doubting you. I just didn’t want to think about how badly that would have meant for me and how I screwed up. But do you have proof?”

“No, I honestly don’t. But I was sorta hoping I could count on you for that?” Nick’s eyebrows rose up as he looked me.

“Please don’t ask me to do something stupid…”

“No, no, it’s nothing more than giving her a gift. And to make sure she wears it at all times.”

“A gift? Like?”

“A simple label pin. I got a friend who’s going to give me some chips so I can place them around. I need to record her, but I have nothing. She won’t hang around me and if you spend all your time with her, she’s gonna know something is up. So, I figured this way, we can nail her by her own mouth.”

“But I don’t have to do anything.” I tugged on my lip.

“Yeah, you’re gonna have to put up with her until things are done. We can’t tip our hand too soon here.”

“I’m not good at this spy game.”

“I’m not asking you to be good Nick. I’m asking you to be helpful for your band, but more importantly for your family…whatever part of it you want.” I gave him a smile as I reached my own left hand to cover his, letting my own wedding ring catch the light.