- Text Size +
Chapter 7

All heads turned and glanced at Terri and her outburst. Tamara glanced at her and burst into tears, making Terri sit up and roll her eyes in annoyance. Tamara finally climbed on her dad’s lap, her head resting against his chest. He glanced up and his eyes locked with mine. I stood up, and he quickly followed, leaving Terri.

“Hey, wait for me.” Nick turned and glanced at her.

“Family discussion. I’ll be right back.”

“I’m family too!” I grabbed Tamara from Nick’s arms and walked to the bedroom, more than pissed off at Terri! Who the hell did she think she was to yell at my child, and than for her to say she’s family? Over my dead body!

“Thomas Elijah, get your ass out here now! And you can say goodnight, because you, mister, are not coming back!”

“Mommy!”

“One time, give me one more time and your ass will be grounded! Now, march!” I waved bye to everyone and made my way to our room, hearing someone else in the hallway. I turned slightly, raising my eyebrow.

“What, Nick?”

“We discipline as a family, remember?”

“Right, and where you were these last couple of months? Oh, that’s right, forgive me, you were with that stupid, blonde ass, little…” I stopped the rant, seeing that the all kids, yes Nick too, were staring at me. “You were with her. Trying to play, what were you playing?”

“In front of them is not the time to bring it up!”

“Why don’t you run back to little miss know it all, and let me run my family. I’ve been doing one hell of a job so far.” I turned my back on him, sliding my key card in and pushing the door open. Although, with one arm holding onto a little one and the other clutching Thomas’s shoulder, I couldn’t slam the door in Nick’s face. He followed us, reaching over to take Tamara back. “No, I have her. Thomas, sit on the couch. And you too young lady.”

“But mom!”

“Thomas, your mom said do it, do it! Or I’ll be grounding you!” I wish I could sit here and explain what it is about a father that makes kids listen. Is it the deepness of the voice? The fact that they SOUND like they have authority? Don’t get me wrong, my kids were good, and listened to me, but like every other kid, they gripped and sometimes took their sweet time, but no, not this time. In fact, I was guessing I would get restraint from the kids, but thanks to Nick, none was coming. “Now, Tamara, Terri isn’t here, so you have my attention.” I had to cover up the smile. Tamara was smart indeed, and I was guessing that Nick knew perfectly well all those tears weren’t over the fact of whatever Thomas did.

“Thomas said I was a girl.” This time, Nick glanced over at me and I had to turn my back so my little one would not see the smile.

“Princess, you are a girl.”

“I know, but he said that boys didn’t play with girls. And than he pushed me. Told me to leave, and when I didn’t, he pushed me again.”

“Is this true, Thomas?”

“But she is a girl!”

“And you’ve never had a problem playing with her before!”

“Thomas, Tamara, to bed, both of you!” I said, my hand massaging the back of my neck.

“Mom!”

“Don’t start young man. Right now, I want you both to brush your teeth, and into bed!”

“Will daddy kiss us goodnight?” I turned and looked at Nick, shrugging.

“Yes, little man, I’ll be there. Listen to your mother.” They sighed, and with heads hanging down, went into the bathroom to start their routine.

“Two days into the tour and I already have them fighting.” I rotated my head and felt Nick’s hands start to massage my shoulders.

“You know as well as I do, they’re going to be doing this. I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long.”

“True. I’m not paying you for this.” He chuckled, his fingers working out the kinks.

“Are you stressing?”

“Not over work, or the kids, really, it’s nothing. You know tomorrow you all are stopping for two days, and Leigh wants to go shopping.”

“And you’re going with?”

“Of course. I can’t leave the kids alone with LeighAnne though.”

“Leave them with me.”

“Um, Nick, you’re working. You have a couple interviews to do tomorrow.”

“In the morning. Leigh won’t be up by that time.” He sat down on the arm of the couch and I actually realized just how I was standing, right smack in the middle of those legs. His eyes held mine, and I know that I lost all will power to think.

“I can’t ask..”

“Ask? They are my kids, you know?”

“Don’t I ever? They act, look, and talk like you. If you’re sure you’ll be okay.”

“Theresa! It’s not like I haven’t spent time with them.” He stood up, his body inches away from mine.

“I don’t want Terri yelling at my kids.” Once more, his eyes held mine. His knuckles brushed my cheeks, and I could feel the power that was driving us. And staring into those eyes, I knew he felt it too! I stood, motionless, unable to think, to react, knowing though, that I had been longing for this, for those lips, those hands, just everything and anything that was him!