- Text Size +
Chapter 73

I paused, smiling slowly as I just leaned against the wall, even more surprised when Nick took the lead vocals. That was AJ’s song, why the hell was Nick singing it? Although, I didn’t get to enjoy it for too long before my phone beeped.

“Yes Roger?”

“Hey boss. Terri and Leigh just left something about getting some medicine for Terri.”

“Thanks Roger. You just stay put.” I beeped my phone off and glanced at my watch. Terri wouldn’t do something with Leigh there. I knew Terri didn’t trust anyone with this little problem. I picked my phone back up and browsed through my contacts, spotting Leigh’s cell number and hit dial, hoping she would tell me they were shopping.

“Hello?”

“Hey Leigh, its Resa.”

“Oh, hey, how are you?”

“Good. You?” She softly laughed and I realized Terri was right there. “I get it. She’s there. I just want to know if you are really shopping.”

“Yes.”

“Have you left Terri’s side?”

“Nope.”

“Good. Is she getting upset that you aren’t leaving?”

“Kinda.”

“Even better. Don’t. If she leaves, I want you to follow her.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” This time, it was my turn to laugh. Terri was blonde, and I thought dumb, but she would not put herself in danger like that. This was Terri, used to the high life.

“No. I think you’ll be okay. You can text, or call, if anything does happen.”

“Will do. Talk to you later.”

“Bye Leigh.” She hung up without even saying goodbye and looked over at Terri as she rose a brow.

“Who was that?”

“A friend. So, did you find something that might help you here?”

“Um, no.” Terri pulled out her cell, read the text message, than looked up at Leigh. “Maybe we should try another store.” Leigh turned and looked at the whole aisle that had cold remedies and figured she would try to get a little information.

“Is there something going on that you want to talk about?” Terri’s eyes quickly flashed up to Leigh’s, and Leigh could see that Terri was debating if she should say anything or not.

Terri finally sighed, forced a laugh out and shook her head. She needed to leave, and she hadn’t hoped that Leigh would go with her. She had, at one point, trusted Leigh, called her one of her best friends, but Terri could feel like she was losing ground. Just like she knew that her relationship with Nick was slowly sinking. And that only meant that she had to become desperate. She was not about to lose that man; she really wasn’t a fool, like how everyone thought.

“How did you keep Howie on such a tight leash?” Leigh chocked a little bit as she looked at Terri.

“I beg your pardon? Howie is not on a leash. He never was! Howie stayed with me because he loved me.” Terri rolled her eyes.

“And people call me a fool? Every fan out there knows how you keep that man all wound up.” Leigh clenched her fists and stepped closer to Terri.

“Listen here…you better get off that high horse Terri. You talk about me tying up Howie, look at you? Nick hasn’t been able to please the fans like he wants because his girlfriend told him he couldn’t. I may not be well liked, but I can promise you that you are the one that the fans hate the most. And in that case, Nick is only going to end up hating you for that. You have talked about not wanting to lose him and you have no idea just how close you are to that.” With that, Leigh spun around and left the store. She had promised to keep an eye on Terri, sure, but not at the cost of being put down. She quickly flagged a taxi down and told the driver to take her to the venue.

-----
I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face as I walked into the back, glancing around, watching James run over to Leigh. I paused for a moment, wondering what had happened that would make Leigh come here. I walked over to her as well, just lifting a brow as she turned to me and offered a smile.

“I’m sorry. She…pushed the wrong buttons and it just pissed me off. I had to leave or I was going to smack her. I think it’s bad enough that I blew up about how the fans hated her the most.” I crossed my arms and couldn’t help but laugh, causing looks from Howie and Leigh.

“You always defended her, said she wasn’t the most hated and blah, blah, blah. And now you throw that in her face. It’s just priceless. And damn funny. You always jumped on my case too.” Leigh looked at Howie who just shrugged.

“You did hon.”

“I’m sorry….” I waved my hand at her, shaking my head.

“Honestly, don’t even sweat it. I know why you did the things you did. Granted, we my not have the closest friendship, but I do know you. And Terri. She is pretty damn good at playing the people around her. Not to say you were more easily swayed or something.” This time, it was Leigh who waved her hand to stop me.

“Honestly, you don’t need to go on. We are good, Resa.” I smiled and gave her a quick hug, forgetting about the song and the questions I had for nick.

-----
I sat down on the couch, throwing my jacket over the arm and looked at Nick as he plopped down next to me. He closed his eyes, crossed his arms and lean his head back.

“Uh, no, you aren’t falling asleep on my couch, Carter. Don’t you have some sick girlfriend or something to go take care of?” He opened his eyes, turned his head and glared at me.

“You aren’t funny.”

“I wasn’t trying to be. Get outta here, I’ll wake your ass up tomorrow.” He nodded, stood up, kissed my forehead and finally headed into his own room. He tried to quietly slip in but she was up, sitting on the couch, watching TV. She looked at him and stood up, smiling. He took in her attire, his jaw dropping as she wore his favorite Bucs jersey.

“Hell no, out of my clothes and out of them, NOW!”