- Text Size +
Chapter 76

I paused, slowly swallowing, wishing I could make the simple connection between that woman and Terri. Yet, to my knowledge, no one had a clue. I cleared my throat and then placed a hand on each twin’s arm, looking at Nick.

“We better go. I’m not getting them involved in this.” That snapped Julie back to attention and her eyes narrowed.

“Does Terri know about this little outing?”

“You know what Julie, not everything that I do has to be cleared by her, no matter what you, OR SHE, might think. Sorry. I have a life of my own and kids to take care of. Now, excuse me, I got to pay for these.” He held up the two outfits and we blew past her, her jaw dropping. Gosh, if it wasn’t Terri ruining a perfectly good and fun day, than it was her little goons or friends. I rolled my eyes as I followed Nick and the kids, stepping off to the side when he took out his wallet. “Do you want anything?”

“Me? Nah, I’m good. I just got some new clothes so I’m fine.” Nick just lifted his brows and smirked.

“If you are referring to those clothes that leave little to the imagination, than those are not clothes.”

“I beg your pardon Carter, they are clothes.” He grinned and took the bags than took my hand, lifting a brow to Julie as we passed her, her phone attached to her ear.

“Hey Resa, can I ask you something?”

“Of course you can. What’s up sexy?” He swung his arm back and forth, not thinking anything of the pet name I called him.

“Even though the divorce is final and all, why didn’t you change your last name?” I paused, stopping to look at some perfume I saw in the window, thinking that over. That was a very good question and how could I explain that without giving my whole heart away? Maybe there wasn’t really a way and that’s what he wanted to hear? I chewed my lip, thinking that maybe the time would pass and he would give up the question. Sometimes, just sometimes, I could steer him away. But when he stepped up to me and started looking at the perfumes as well, I knew the truth. He wasn’t giving up, so that means I was stuck answering it the best I could without giving too much away.

“Honestly Nick?”

“Please.” I nodded my head than walked over to the play land area, letting the twins go have fun.

“Honestly…because deep inside, I always felt you were never, really gone. That someday you would come back to me, once you realized what you had lost and couldn’t get back with her. My love for you has never drifted away, like yours did. I mean, you were my world, you and the kids…”

“Wait, hold up here. My love for you never drifted Resa. Believe it or not, I still love you, very much. Even while I was with Terri.” Nick sighed and leaned back against the bench. “Did you think that all those years we were together meant nothing to me?”

“No offense Nick, but you just didn’t divorce me, you cheated on me. That’s a lot more harder to swallow. Had you left and than found her later on, it would have been different.”

“I understand that. The only reason I even saw her was because I needed a shoulder to lean on. I needed support. And I wasn’t getting that from you. So, I glanced elsewhere and she was more than willing to offer it. Not,” he looked at me and held his hand up before I could start my protest, “not that it was right, it wasn’t. We were both going through some rough times and didn’t share with each other like we should have. I realize that now.” I licked my lips as I watched him, wondering exactly what he meant and wondering exactly where this was going.

“So, um, was that all you wanted to know?”

“No.” He watched the kids for a few minutes, collecting his thoughts before turning his head to look back at me. “Is that why you still wear your wedding ring?” I glanced down at the diamond on my left hand and played with it, shrugging.

“It may sound cliché, it probably is, but if I couldn’t have you, I didn’t want anyone. This way, no man was hitting on me or coming my way. I was able to, mourn for all the losses, alone.” I twisted my lip, than sighed. “Why didn’t you get rid of yours?”

“Because…” He tilted his head and shook it a bit. “Because you were never really out of my life. I know that makes no sense and is not a reason to keep a ring, but it’s the best way I can describe it. I’m aware that I was the one who left, who had the mistress, who filed for divorce, but in the end, I had this feeling that at some point, some day, we would be back together. My foolishness was bound to catch up to me and I knew I would be back with you. After all,” he paused and reached out with his left hand, taking my left hand and smiling, “soul mates are kinda bound for all time with each other.”

“Soul mates, Nick?”

“Soul mates.” The smile I had slowly slid off my face and I licked my lips again as I stared into his blue eyes. Soul mates had a very nice ring to it and I could feel something inside my stir. His other hand reached up and cupped my cheek, pulling my head slowly closer. It was then that I realized, if he kissed me now, it would be the first time in public and that snapped my head right back.

“Not here.” He wrinkled his brows in confusion. “We are too close and I’m no letting her go.”

“Right.” He took my left hand and placed a kiss over the ring before getting up and offering me his hand, linking our fingers once I placed my hand in his. I smiled as I stood up, gathering the kids, never once thinking of the paparazzi that would be lurking in corners, taking shot after very detailed shot.