- Text Size +
Chapter 80

“Nick! How long have you been behind me?”

“Not very long.” He smiled at her and then walked into the living room area, lying about what he told her. He had heard every damn word and he was going to make sure everyone knew just how low Terri was. “Why? Did something happen?” He tried to look concerned, but that act was getting hard to play.

“Oh, no, nothing. Was just asking, that’s all.”

“Oh, okay than.” He sat his bag down then went into the bedroom.

“Uh, Nick, what are you doing?” Terri followed him, her brows crinkled as she watched him start to change.

“Tamara and Thomas wanted a daddy day, so I’m heading to the park to play some ball with them.”

“Is Resa going?” Nick pulled his shirt on and gave her a pointed look.

“Resa, is by rights, my bodyguard. So, yes, Resa is going.” Terri chewed on her lower lip.

“Can I go?” That made him pause. He was kinda hoping of spending the day with his family, or at least before the show. But then again, his ass would be on the line if he screwed anything up.

“Hon, I thought you hated spending time with my family?”

“Oh Nick, I never hated it. Your kids just hate me. But if you are serious about us and marriage, then I better get to working on the hate they have for me.” Nick just looked at her, wondering how her mind worked sometimes. When had he talked about marriage? And even better yet, when had his kids showed open hate for her that wasn’t brought on by her first? Nick just mentally shook his head, for he knew there just weren’t answers or least, there were, and he knew them.

“If you want Terri. But it’s hot.”

“No problem hon. I’ll take shades!” Terri stood up on her tip toes and kissed his cheek before grabbing her hat and shades, taking his hand as they walked out of the room together.

*****
“Mommy, where is he?”

“He’s coming Thomas baby. You got your ball Tamara?”

“Always! It’s the one I beat daddy with all the time.”

“Who’s beating me today?”

“Tamara claims she is.” I turned around, smiling at him but feeling it slip as I saw Terri right next to him. “Do we have company?”

“Hope you don’t mind Resa. Nick thought it would be best if I came along, got to hang with the kids more.” I looked from her to Nick, seeing the truth clearly written in those blue depths and shrugged.

“Suit yourself. But be careful. I saw the clouds moving in.”

“Nick will protect me.”

“Right.” I tired to smile, thinking that this was the good thing. But like everything else, my brain had two parts. The rational, security side said it was perfect, for it was allowing Terri in and letting her think everything was just good. But the other side, the jealous woman who still loved her husband and longed to be in his arms, hated the idea! And to be honest, that side was ruling out the rational thinking on the other side.

“Mommy?” I bent down to Tamara’s level and took her hand.

“What is it baby?” She looked at Terri who was walking out the door, to Nick who stopped right at the doorway than finally to me.

“I don’t want Terri to go. She’s rude, and she always makes daddy watch her.”

“Oh sweetheart, I know. I’ll make a deal with you, okay?”

“Okay.”

“If you allow Terri to come this time, then maybe tonight, after daddy’s concert, he can come over and we can watch Cars! How’s that sound?”

“Can we have popcorn?” I smiled at Thomas, knowing he thought like his twin.

“I say it’s a family date.” I glanced sharply to my left, hearing Nick’s voice. “What? I can’t miss popcorn and Cars with my family.”

“Okay, deal?” They both nodded and jumped on Nick. “Now come on.” I did a quick glance around, smiling as I saw no fans and headed outside, following Terri and Nick, who had both arms busy with the twins, and here I was, stuck carrying their basketball.

*****
I leaned back, watching the rolling clouds, hearing the thunder start to get louder. That did not look good, but they were too wrapped up on the game to notice. In fact, I wasn’t sure how, but Baylee and Brian ended up coming over as well. Which was pretty funny, because all three kids really had something on their dads, for they were winning. I couldn’t stop my chuckle as I say Thomas pass the ball to Baylee and Baylee lay it up, quickly getting the two points.

“Uh, hello guys, these are your kids, why are they winning?” I laughed even more as Nick glared at me, which caused the few fans who had showed up to chuckle too. They walked over to me, very shyly and smiled

“Mrs. Carter,” I glanced at Terri as she snorted some, “would it be possible to take a picture with Nick and Brian?”

“Uh, ladies, I’m not so sure about that. They are sweaty. But I’ll ask, maybe you’ll get lucky.” 10 minutes later they wrapped up their game, the thunder rolling in even faster. “Hey, wait up, there’s a few fans asking for pictures, would you guys be dolls?”

“Nicky, let’s go! It’s going to pour!”

“Hold on Terri, I want to meet the fans.” With that, I waved the girls over and had them take a few quick pictures.

“Okay, it’s about ready to pour. We’ll see you later at the show girls!” I waved to them and the started ushering everyone out of the park, following up the crowd. We were halfway down the field when I realized that Terri had not followed us and was running to catch up. And of course, the down pour had started.

“Wait up guys!” I stopped to watch her, and then started walking again, finally feeling someone grab my arm with such force that it dragged us both down. I heard her scream as the momentum she had, caused us to slide in the mud then land both of us in a huge mud puddle.