- Text Size +
Chapter 81

Nick turned as he heard the scream, his eyes opening wide, trying so hard not to laugh as he watched both of us slide on the grass and then finally land in the puddle. He glanced at Brian who watched as well, and then both of them finally crack up and rush over to us, trying to help us up.

“Nicky, this is your fault!” Terri wailed as she tried to grab onto his arm.

“How is it my fault? I told you to be careful!”

“If we left earlier, we would have missed the rain!” She finally got her legs steady and rose up, the mud covering at least her lower part, and in that regard, she was lucky. But not me. Nope, I took a straight nose dive in and was covered head to toe.

“Look, it doesn’t matter. We have got to get back to the hotel and into dry clothes! They can’t get sick and I don’t want the kids to either.” I started wiping the mud off as best as I could, feeling the daggers that she sent at my back.

“I don’t like this being on me. Nick, help me wipe it off.”

“I don’t have anything Terri, I’m sorry!”

“Didn’t you bring a towel?”

“I did, and it’s from the hotel. Somehow, I don’t think they would like to get it back with mud all over it.” He took her arm, leading her as quickly as he could. I watched them, noticing that they were quickly leaving us behind and heard the sniffle of the twins.

“Hon, don’t start.”

“Daddy forgot about us!”

“No he didn’t. But you know how Terri is. It’s all about her. And she will whine until she gets her own way.” Brian caught my eye and rolled his eyes and I tried not to laugh, making our way back to the hotel.

15 minutes later, I leaned against the wall of the side of the hotel, the door man being so very adamant that I was not to go into the hotel looking the way I did. I sighed, leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes, smiling as I heard approaching footsteps and gurgles.

“Well, if it isn’t Howard.”

“How did you know it was me?” I peeked an eye open and looked from him to James.

“James is the only one who gurgles like that.”

“James, you got me in trouble!” James just laughed. “So, why are you out here? And why are you covered in mud?”

“The guys were playing some basketball and we didn’t beat the storm. And as we started walking back, Terri got left behind. So, she tried to run to catch up, caught my arm and made us both slide into a huge mud puddle. On the good side, my skin is starting to feel really soft!” That caused Howie to quickly bust up laughing.

“So, you…got a…mud bath?” he finally asked me between chuckles.

“Yup. What are you doing out?”

“The slight rain was calling my name. James loves the rain so I figured we’d take a quick walk around the block. And no, no crazy fans or anything.”

“In all truth, they really have stopped being so crazy. I think a lot has to do with how accessible you guys have become.”

“That’s true. Is Nick or someone bringing you clothes?”

“Yeah, Nick is.” I turned my head as I heard Nick answer and grin.

“Oh wait up; I don’t wear anything that has to do with the Bucs Nick. Those aren’t mine.”

“No, they’re mine. I don’t have a key to your hotel room.” I bite my lip, smiling all the more and took his clothes.

“Does Terri know?”

“Nope. She jumped in the shower the moment we got into the room. And you know she would have freaked if you had them.” I smiled all the more, that giving me such strange satisfaction.

“Thanks. Such a sweetie.” Nick nodded and then without pause, quickly leaned down and gave me a soft kiss, right on the lips and right in front of Howie. What actually caught me off guard, more than anything, was the fact that he had done that in front of Howie. Not that Howie didn’t know anything or that he couldn’t be trusted, I just didn’t think Nick would have kissed me, still being with Terri, in front of anyone. And as he pulled away, I glanced at Howie who only smirked, a brow raised slightly and for the first time in a long time, I felt myself blush.

“Shall we get you changed and up to take a shower?”

“Yeah. You’re clothes are going to get dirty.”

“I know. They can be washed.” I pulled the jersey on, using the sleeves to my other shirt to wipe some mud off.

“You know, so can towels.” I pulled the pants on, shaking my head to his laugh. I turned my back, never once catching the look that passed between Nick or Howie, nor the excitement that clearly was showing off of Nick.

“Wanna explain to me D, why certain chicks are so damn sexy in men’s clothes?” That caused Howie to laugh all the more.

I passed by my room, knowing that the twins would have gone with Nick, so I knocked on the door, smiling as Thomas opened the door.

“Mommy!”

“I was only gone a few minutes sweetie.” I stepped inside, glancing up as Terri walked out of the bedroom, smirking as she looked me over from head to toe.

“Why the hell are you wearing Nick’s stuff?”

“Because this is what he got me. He couldn’t get into my room. And I don’t fit into your clothes.”

“Thank God for that, I wouldn’t want it tainted by you anyway.”

“Terri, I wouldn’t be caught dead in your clothes. They are way too slutty for me.” I heard a snicker and turned around to see Nick leaning against the door way. “Right, let’s go get cleaned up kids, got things we gotta do.” I waved to Nick and headed to my room, catching that Nick was having a slight problem with something down below.