- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I think the chapter just about everyone was waiting for...so hopefully I did it justice and enjoy!
Chapter 88

I watched the cops take Julie away, my arms crossed. I let out a breath, the last few days seeming to take a lot of me. The listening, the organizing, the managing and coordinating, just everything!

“You okay?” I nodded at the quiet question.

“It just takes a lot out of someone Howie; getting things to work out in this type of favor. I still can’t believe how she managed to set everything up.” I turned around and looked at Howie. He gave me a faint smile and then hugged me.

“And though one part of the job is done, you still have one more person to deal with.” I sighed and closed my eyes.

“Don’t remind me. I think that whole scene is going to be a whole lot uglier then this was. In fact, I’m kinda shocked. I thought Julie was going to be a lot more difficult.”

“She had the power to be, but she was also smart enough to know how stupid she had been.” I kissed Howie’s cheek.

“Thank you for being there; and for helping. Without you guys, this wouldn’t have been possible.”

“Please Resa. Without you, we probably all would have been screwed over. Now, can we watch the show down with Terri?”

-----
I pressed a hand over my stomach as I made my way to their room. And I as neared her door, I started regretting my choice to do this alone. Not that I was scared of her. I just…okay, I guess I was. I saw how lions were when you backed them into a corner, and this was not a different situation. From what I knew of Terri, she would be coming with both teeth and nails blazing.

I took another deep breath and knocked on the door. Hell, I had dealt with drunk and pissed off fans and yet I dealt better with that, then I was with this. I swallowed as I heard her hit something, than cussed, all before finally opening the door. Her eyes dragged over me and she sneered.

“If you’re looking for Nick, he’s not here.”

“I’m not Terri. I’m looking for you. I wanted to talk to you.” At that, she lifted a brow.

“What the hell do we have to talk about?”

“About you and you being a bitch. And the shit you have pulled. And the people that you hurt with you damn stupid antics.”

“What the hell are you talking about? I haven’t done anything.”

“You haven’t?” I lifted my brows in mock surprise. “Are you sure about that? Because I really think differently.”

“Oh, please enlighten me here. I’m just dying to know.” I followed her into the room, not bothering to close the door behind me.

“I bet you are. So, how about I start with the drugs you seem to be buying with Nick’s money! And yes Terri, those drugs that ‘seem to clear your head’ also go along with fertility drugs.” I lifted a bottle out of my pocket, shook it, than tossed it to her. She caught it, read the label and then frowned.

“What are these?”

“You can read. Did you think I wouldn’t know what you were up to? Please. I have ears and eyes everywhere.”

“Bull shit. I’m calling your bluff. You knowing that drug bit could just be a lucky chance.”

“Really?” I sat on the edge of the couch, crossed my legs and drew out the recorder from my other pocket, starting to play back the last few conversations she had had. With satisfaction, I watched the play of emotions on her face, and though it was mean, I loved watching it. I finally stopped the device and looked at Terri, waiting for her to say anything.

Her eyes stared at the floor, her hands clenched at her sides, her chest heaving. She was furious; there was no denying that. How the hell could all of her dreams come crashing in? She had everything worked out; everything was going to be perfect. But then the bitch walked in with her stupid brats.

I almost smiled as I could see every thought in those blue eyes and was more than ready for her attack. She finally looked up at me, her eyes blazing. She threw the bottle at the wall and lunged at me, her hand quickly swinging out to slap me. I grabbed her wrist and flung her down on the couch. And though I was ready for the first move, I wasn’t quite expecting her speed in getting up and coming after me again.

She shoved me back against the wall, and for a brief second, I saw the dots and flashes of light as my head hit the wall. And sadly, that was the advantage she needed.

Before I could block her, her knee came up and connected with my midsection at the same time as her hand made contact with my cheek bone. I tried lifting my arm, but felt it being forced back down by her.

“I won’t let you destroy everything, Theresa. Julie will defend me.”

“Julie?” Terri stopped her assault and I coughed a bit, both of us turning to look at Nick as he stood in the doorway. “Julie is gone. Fired. Arrested.”

“What?”

“She’s done Terri. As are you. I want nothing to do with you anymore.”

“You can’t mean that. You just gave me these gifts.”

“You’re right. How do you think we managed to record every little damn thing? The only way to catch you was to record it. But I never thought you were that low.”

“Nicky honey…”

“Just stop. I hurt my wife, my family, for you. I betrayed the people I love most for you! You were so close to having your dreams come true but your stupid ness blew it.”

“I….was?”

“Doesn’t matter now. I fell out of love with you. I hate you; hate what you have done and what you have become. I’m glad you will be out of my life for good.”

“Nick, you can’t mean that. We had good times together. And what are you going to do? Go back to that wife that you used to tell me you hated? To the one woman who had you so locked up that you didn’t know which way was up?”

“I said a lot of bull shit in anger. But, what I do is no longer your concern. We are past done. And if I had any smarts, I would have left your ass the moments I started suspecting you were using me.”

“Nick, I love you…” Nick yanked the necklace off her neck and held up the pendant, showing the tiny bug.

“This is why I gave you what I did. You aren’t worth it otherwise.” Terri started to fight as the two other security guards grabbed her and carried her out.

“Talk about a killer blow, Nick!”

“I know, but it’s the truth.” He took my spot on the arm of the couch, playing with the necklace and then finally looked up at me. “Think I could pawn it and make some money,” he asked, holing up the pendant.