- Text Size +
Chapter 9

I walked into the room behind LeighAnne, leaning against the wall as I watched Terri make it a show of kissing Nick. I heard the collective ‘eww’s from the twins and had to grin, for she pulled away and glared at them. I shook my head, realizing that Terri might just be walking a rather thin line with those two.

“Aight little ones, time to head out.”

“Mom! We’re winning!” I glanced from them to the TV and realized there were playing some damn video game. Nick’s kids indeed!

“Come on, it’s time to eat. Because, if I know your dad, he hasn’t fed you yet.” I glanced over at Nick who ducked his head and heard Brian chuckle. “Let’s go guys. Maybe, if you’re good, I might let you all come back later.” They jumped up, eager smiles on their faces.

“That might not work. I had plans for Nick and I.” I watched as both kids lost their smiles and so badly wanted to smack that smirk off of her face.

“Terri, it can wait. If the kids wanna come back, I have no problem. In fact, we haven’t eaten either, so I may join them. You’re more than welcome.”

“I already ate, thank you.” Nick glanced from her to me and I shrugged.

“You ate? With Leigh?”

“Yeah. We had dinner. But, go, play family man.” She turned around and marched into the room, slamming the door behind her. He sighed and stood up, taking the kids hand.

“Come on Brian, you all need to eat too. You’re more than welcome to join us.”

“Yeah, LeighAnne, it would be great.”

“How is that they ate, yet you didn’t Resa?” I glanced back at Brian as we made our way to the elevator. I waved Dave and Rick off, smiling as they nodded.

“I don’t eat on the job, per say.”

“Per say?”

“If I’m keeping guard like that, I won’t. Can’t be distracted.”

“Yet you just waved off our bodyguards!”

“The fans become less possessive, if you will, when you’re with your family. Haven’t you guys ever noticed that?” They gave me blank looks as we stepped out of the elevator and over to the restaurant. “Table for seven, and private, please.” The waitress nodded her head, grabbed four menus, three kids’ menus and walked us back to a rather dark corner.

“This is the best I can do, is that okay?” I nodded my head, allowing Brian and LeighAnne to sit on one end, than the kids slide into the middle, leaving me alone to sit next to Nick.

“Daddy, can I have a cheeseburger, please?” I shook my head at Tamara. She hadn’t even glanced at the menu.

“Oh, pizza, dad, please, please, please?” And than Thomas, well, he was just plain Nick’s kid, did I have to say more?

“Yeah, that’s fine guys.”

“You know, that’s not healthy for them,” I mumbled, glancing over the menu.

“They’re young, they’ll burn it off.”

“My point, Nick! They’ll burn it off for me, around me! They’ll be too damn hyper and I get stuck with it!” He laughed and shrugged. “LeighAnne, some help here?”

“Girl, I got my own problems with Baylee. He’ll ask for ice cream for dinner and Bri will say yes, no problem.”

“Why is that dads have no sense of good food, healthy food. No, load ‘em up with junk food while they’re young!”

“Pardon me, we’re right here, you know! Baylee, if you want ice cream, mom says it’s okay!”

“Sweet!” LeighAnne glared at Brian before she turned to Baylee.

“Is it really okay if they have that?” I glanced over at Nick.

“You don’t have to ask. If you approve it, that’s fine. I’ll just make sure they’ll stay the night with you.”

“Terri won’t like it.”

“Sorry. Maybe next time you won’t be so quick to say yes, huh?” He reached over and pinched my side, his fingers tickling me. “Stop, okay, okay! Yes, it’s fine, they can have that. But water, no soda!”

“Deal!”



I fumbled with the key card, grumbling as it finally took. Tamara shifted, her head hitting my collar bone, at the same time that I felt my phone vibrate. I shrieked slightly, having Nick glance over at me, his eyebrow raised in a silent question.

“Tamara moved and her head just collided with collar bone. She’s vicious even in her sleep. Not to mention my phone just went off.” I flipped the light switch on in the living room and quickly went into their bedroom, laying my little girl down; Nick quickly following with Thomas.

“I guess it was a long day?” I chuckled as I kissed both of them and made my way out.

“Well, first with you, than three hours of laughing in the restaurant. Yeah, it was pretty long.” Nick smiled as he sat down on the couch, his head resting along the back of it. I flipped my pone up and laughed, getting a look from Nick. “What?”

“Who’s that?”

“My friend Kris. She just had to send me a text message saying that I wasn’t supposed to forget about her. Something about an Alex and fainting.” At Nick’s strange look, I shook my head. “You wouldn’t understand.” I watched as he only nodded his head, yet went back to resting his head on the couch. “Are you tired?”

“They take a lot out of you.”

“Five year olds tend to. Two of them is even worse.” He chuckled.

“They’re good kids though, good looking too.” I rolled my eyes, and laughed as he peeked his eye open to glance at me.

“They are, actually. They get it all from me, thank you.”

“Theresa, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be leaving you alone to take care of them.”

“Nick, we live in two different states.”

“Yes, but California is not that far away from Arizona, and you know that.” I glanced down at my hands, playing with the ring on my left hand.

“Granted it’s not. But, you have a life to lead. You’re Nick Carter, from the ever wonderful Backstreet Boys. And you have a girlfriend, who I think can’t stand those two little ones.”

“That’s beside the point. I’m a father, and I’ve been slacking on that. I love my kids.”

“Nick, I never questioned that. Just because we’re divorced doesn’t mean I don’t know you, or anything about you. You adore those kids, I’ve always known this. And, personally, I’d rather not have Terri deal with them, but if that’s the woman you want, than she has to learn to deal with that fact that those two kids play one hell of a major role in your life. Which is something you need to think about too, because I won’t have my kids getting hurt, Nick!” He sighed, his hands running over his face.

“They won’t get hurt!”

“They better not. I tolerate a lot from you, you’re well aware of this, but I will kick your ass, and hers, if my kids are hurt.” That brought a smile to those lips and I felt my breath catch in my throat. How was that humanly possible? I was talking with the man I loved about the woman he was currently with, and he still turned me to jell-o? Please, can anyone else see this as being so very wrong? I stood up, taking my jacket off and placing it on the couch.

“What was that?”

“What was what?”

“That thud against the couch? What’s in you pocket?”

“Oh, my phone and my gun.” Nick quickly shot off the couch and walked over to me, his eyes holding mine.

“Gun?”

“Yeah. I have to have to it.”

“No, you don’t. Okay, this job is a lot more dangerous if you have to have a gun! I don’t want you doing it.”

“Nick, I’ve always had a gun, in fact, I have about five. And some knives, actually. It’s my job, I’m security! Better yet, I’m the manager of all of this.” His hand cupped my cheek, making me stare into those eyes.

“Promise me.” I gulped. I mean, those eyes alone stole my breath, how the hell was I to do anything. “Promise me, you’ll be safe.” I could do nothing but nod my head, and I thought for sure I would feel those lips, for I saw something flare up in those eyes.