- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay here chapter 2. Thanks for the banner Erika :)
Who was she kidding she was like always... late. When she walked into the restaurant she spotted him already waiting for her. It didn’t take her long to get the table, she cleared her throat, “Hi sorry I’m late.”

“Hey glad you made it I thought you were not going to come after all.” He said to her as he helped her with her seat. “What would you like to drink?”

“Uhm water,” she said nervously as she watched him take a seat again. “How long have you been waiting?”

“It doesn't matter you're here so, let's order dinner and talk.” Alex gave her a smile she looked nervous to him but it actually made her look cute. “So are you going to tell me?”

Before Tori could answer though the waiter came taking their orders. She felt so awkward being here and she was just about to spill the beans out to this man in front of her. He cleared his throat so she finally looked up at him and not the napkin in front of her, “Here's the thing Alex...” she paused for a few seconds. “My sister is getting married next week and of course I have to go. I need a date to accompany me and I unfortunately lack in male friends that I could ask to accompany me. I've known you for a while now as a faithful customer of “Tori's Cupcakes” so I thought I could ask you for the favor.”

The smug look on his face made her feel like this maybe was a bad idea. “It's just with my business I have little time to mingle and well if you look at it you get a free trip everything paid.” Tori felt like she should flee.

“I said I would do it... on one condition.” He arched his brow, “I want your red velvet recipe.”

Tori smiled, “Deal. I’m desperate here you don’t understand the scrutiny I go through with my family.” she felt relaxed something told her it would be okay. “My family thinks I’m cursed because I have yet to marry and have a family. Especially now that my younger sister is getting married.”

“Are you?” His question caught her off guard.

“NO!” Her voice had gone up an octave. “I just haven't found the man that makes me feel like he's the one.” She stared at him and then she blurted it out, “Its not like you have a significant other.”

Alex's smile faded a little, “mute point.” It was all it took to make his happy face turn gloomy it wasn't long till dinner arrived and they ate quietly. Tori felt guilty having made such comment it seemed to have killed all conversation. She was now hoping to get out of there soon.

“Listen you don't have to do this.” Tori finally broke the silence as the waiter took away the plates. Alex had insisted on paying so she now felt obligated to wait till they both walked out.

He took a deep breath and he smiled again, “I will do it but don't you think I ought to know more about you besides that you have wicked baking skills and that you have a beautiful smile?” His mood seemed to have changed back to a chipper one.

The compliments made her blush and then it dawned on her that he had said her smile was beautiful. She just ignored it though and answered him, “Your right you should know the basics and I should know yours too.”

“Yeah like the fact that I hate cats and that I don't eat anything that looks weird. My favorite colors are black and red.” Alex began to say as he helped her out of her chair.

“Oh okay maybe I should write this down.” Tori said as she walked beside him. “I'm allergic to cats, so we have something in common sort of.”

***********

“No thanks that's enough for me I have to drive back to my house.” Tori said as she declined more wine. She was still trying to comprehend how Alex had convinced her to come to his place.

His place was an office with with a bed in it. He actually lived in West Palm Beach but ever since he had taken over his grandfathers shop he began to stay longer times in Miami so, he made himself a bed in his office. “Why not sell the shop?” Tori asked looking up at him.

A chuckle broke through him, “No I can't this is my grandpa's pride... besides I like it.” He took a sip of wine, “So why is it that you don't have a boyfriend?”

Tori gripped the glass tightly to not drop it as the question hit her, “I did have one but he ended up cheating on me with one of my employees.” Suddenly her stomach did not feel good after bringing back that memory. “I vowed to myself that I would take my time finding the right guy then I just got engrossed in my shop that I just completely stopped dating.”

When Tori looked up his brown eyes were staring at her and her stomach did flips. “It's late I should go but I’ll call you with the arrangements for the trip.” She stood up and and placed her glass on the desk. “Thanks again for doing this...I am in debt to you for this.”

Alex walked her to her car and watched her drive away. He still had to understand his actions and he also had to find someone to tend to the shop while he was gone.

Tori could still see him standing from her rear view mirror as she made the stop. “Tori Olvera what have you done?” she sighed now she had no choice she had to go with it; there was no turning back.

**********

Tori was busy in the back of her shop finishing the last of the flying arrangements, when her employee Jackie yelled. “Tori someone is looking for you.”

“I can't right now Jackie...” Tori said looking up from her computer. “Is it a complaint?”

Jackie laughed and blushed, “No it's the guy that always buys the the red velvet cupcakes.” She whispered next, “He has a rose. I think it's for you.”

That got Tori's attention and quickly she walked out ignoring Jackie's giggles. Sure enough there stood Alex, who seemed to smile as she came out. “HI.” she managed to say looking at him questioningly.

“Hey,” he gave her a smile and leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek. “Oh this is for you.” He handed the yellow rose to her. “I was also wondering if you wanted to go to lunch?”

Tori was still trying to understand what was going on, “well, I was kind of in the middle of something.” Her nerves were kicking in she bit on her lip feeling awkward.

Jackie was already in the front when Alex had asked her to lunch so she spoke, “Hey Tori don't worry about it I’ll help, you go have some lunch.”

Tori could feel her face turning red and bit her tongue as she excused herself to get her purse. Jackie was going to get if from her later, she hurriedly put the rose in water and then she was on her way to eat lunch with Alex.

“I hadn't called you yet.” She blurted out once in the car biting her lip as the way it came out of her mouth. Talk about harsh, “sorry I just didn't expect to see till I called you.”

“I know,” Alex said smiling at her... “but I was thinking it would more credible or believable if we went out? Besides I still have a lot more to learn about you. We should practice don't you think? I mean honestly you still look at me awkwardly if we are to pull this off your suppose to look at me with love and vise versa.”

She knew he was right but yet this had still caught her off guard... “Right! Where are we going.” She had to admit it was nice to have someone take her to lunch and bring her a rose.