- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay here the next chapter. eek, hope you all like :)
“Papi,” Tori smiled as she saw her father. He was standing on the porch watching everyone pounce on her and her fake beau. She ran to him as he opened his arms, “your still very guapo papi.”



He laughed at her comment as he embraced her, “Victoria you have not changed mija.” Jose kissed his daughter’s cheek. “You’re the pretty one you know.”



Alex was watching Tori and her father interact before he cleared his throat. “Hello sir.”



Jose turned to look at the man standing in front of him, “Hello and who are you?”



“Papi this is Alex my boyfriend.” Tori said quickly.



“I see,” Jose walked down the steps and stood in front of a nervous Alex. “Jose Guadalupe Olvera Ramirez.” He extended his hand firmly.



“Hi, I’m Alexander James McLean.” Alex felt compelled to say his full name too.



“Isn’t he cute,” Magdalena gushed as she looped her arm around Alex. “Now come on mijo lets go inside I am sure you and Tori are starving. Besides you look too skinny we need to fatten you up this weekend.”



There was laughing all around as everyone began to walk inside. But they stopped when they saw the red and blue lights approaching as the cop car made a halt. Tori groaned and sighed heavily. “Tori!” A tall bald man said whistling. “Get your ass down here and say hi to your brother!”



“Fine,” Tori said walking up to him. “I can’t believe you’re bald?” she hugged him.



“I here you brought a boyfriend.” He gave her a grin.



“Yes and you better be nice to him Roberto.” She pointed at him and was about to call Alex when out of the cop car emerged a much shorter man a smug look on his face.



“Hola Tori.” The young man said as he stared at her. “You look nice. Florida has been good to you.”



“Hi Howie.” Tori cleared her throat. “Uh…It’s nice seeing you again.”



“Howie is my partner.” Roberto said as he wrapped his arm around Tori. “I’m starving lets eat I know Ma made tamales. Where’s this boyfriend of yours anyway.”



Tori was glad for Roberto and she put on a smile as she pointed out Alex. “His name is Alex.”



Alex had seen it all but had stayed quiet till now as he was shaking her brother’s hand. “Nice to meet you.”



**********



“Wow your family can throw a party huh?” Alex said as he caught Tori sitting alone on the porch.



“Yeah, that we can.” She smiled at him as he sat beside her. “How you like my family so far?”



He chuckled, “It’s interesting but in a good way. Your mom really is trying to over stuff me though.”



“Wait till you meet my Nana.” Tori said smiling as she took a sip of her mojito. She sighed, as she looked out into the vast land. “Thank you.”



Alex was about to respond when they heard the laughter coming from outside. Roberto stopped and stared at them. “So Alex the guys and I thought it would be good to take you fishing with us tomorrow to Lake Mendota.” He was smiling widely.



“Roberto,” Tori said standing up.



“What Tori? Alex needs to be initiated into the family. I mean Nick survived right Nicky?” Roberto said as he eyed Nick who was with him among other cousins and friends.



“I'd love to go.” Alex said standing up smiling. He wrapped his arm around Tori's waist, “Don't worry babe I've fished before.”



“Fine,” Tori said eying her brother. “Roberto if there's one scratch on him tomorrow and your mine. I know about you and your fishing trips.” She was now standing inches away from her brother she had to be on her tip toes but she was serious. “Oh and you Chuy you better not give him some of your homemade Tequila!” she told her cousin as she eyed all the men.



“Oh come on Tori,” Howie said coming from in between the crowd. “I'll make sure everything goes smoothly.



“Mas vale,” Tori said as she grabbed her glass and chugged the rest of her drink.



“Mija whats wrong?” As soon as her father came out everyone became quiet.



“Nada papi Roberto here is taking Alex fishing tomorrow.” Tori said. “You know how that normally goes.”



“Is that so Roberto...I haven't gone fishing in a while. I might just join you all tomorrow. Besides I have to get to know Alex more.” Jose said eying Alex.



“See it’s settled don't you worry Tori. Alex will be in good hands. You worry about your baking for the rehearsal.” Roberto said smiling.



“Fine but you'll have to pick him up cause we are staying at the Ramada.” Tori said still a little annoyed she knew that fishing trip was going to be a big disaster. Alex did not know what he was getting into.



“Wait a minute you are not going anywhere... I fixed the basement for you two.” Jose said smiling proudly.



Great. Tori felt herself blush. Now she was stuck in the basement with Alex. “Thanks papi, but really we don't mind.”



“Victoria you’re staying here and that's that.” her father said in his firm macho voice.



Tori knew not to say anything more, “Okay if you insist.”



Just then her mother came out with a camera. “Okay everyone gather around now its picture time.”



Suddenly everyone was all gathered together and a running Esme made in time to be in it. “I'll be fine don't worry.” Alex whispered to her as he got close to her for the picture.



“I hope,” Tori said softly as she smiled for the picture.



**********



It was past eleven and everyone was still wide awake. People were dancing now and Alex seemed to have fun as he danced with her mother. He seemed to be taking in the ambient naturally which was a good sign.



Tori just watched as she swung herself on the tire swing. She did miss some part of this life she once had. “God I hope everything goes well.”



“Why shouldn't it?” Howie said.



Tori's heart stopped as she saw him beside her. “My god you scared me.”



He chuckled, “It's nice to see you again, you look beautiful.”



“Howie please.” Tori said as she stopped swinging.



“What Tori? Wait I’m not trying anything I promise I know you can't see me like that. But the truth is the truth you know.” He took a drink of beer. “Alex seems nice and he is a very lucky guy.”



“I'm the lucky one.” Tori said feeling uncomfortable as Howie stared at her. “I'm sorry Howie.”



He chuckled and sighed, “Just remember that I’m here always.”



“Thanks,” Tori said feeling awkward. “I should go inside its a little cool outside.” she began to walk to the house feeling relieved. Howie sometimes made her feel guilty knowing that her parents would have loved had she accepted him as her husband. To bad she just couldn't see him as more than a friend.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks Erika for your help :)