- Text Size +
“I’m sorry about this,” Tori said nervously as she grabbed her carry on bag. “I didn’t expect dad to fix the basement just for us.”
 
“You have to stop apologizing Tori. Really its fine, besides the bed is big enough.” Alex said as he dug through his luggage.
 
Tori’s eyes grew as she looked at the bed. Oh no she was not sleeping in the same bed with him, “No after doing this for me you can take the bed, I’ll sleep on the floor.” She gave him an awkward smile before heading into the restroom.
 
Once inside she sighed, god she wanted to keep calm. It was only three days that’s all. She hurriedly changed into her pajamas and stepped out to find Alex already dressed in pajama pants and a wife beater. She couldn’t help but look at his arms and the many tattoos that decorated his arms, “if you need the restroom I’m done.”
 
“Thanks.” He smiled at her as he grabbed a pillow from the bed. “Do you mind if I borrow one of these.” Alex placed it on his makeshift bed on the floor.
 
Tori looked at him surprised, “I can’t let you sleep on the floor.”
 
“Well I can’t let YOU sleep on the floor,” Alex said pointing at her. Alex left her as he disappeared into the restroom.
 
The knock on the door startled her. “Tori it’s me.” Esme asked from above.
 
Tori quickly grabbed the pillow from the floor and picked up the blankets placing them on the bed again. “Yeah sure,” She finally said as she pretended to brush her hair.
 
Esme came down the stairs with a small box. “I know you’re tired but I have to show you this, it’s your dress.” She gave her the box.
 
Tori took the box and looked at her, “Thanks.” She opened the box and took out the aquamarine colored dress. “It’s beautiful.”
 
Just then Alex came out and smiled at them. “hey.” He said nervously as he saw that Tori had picked up his makeshift bed.
 
“Oh hey, sorry I just need Tori to try on her bridesmaids dress in case we need to fix anything.” Esme said smiling at him. “Well…” she looked at Tori with an anxious voice.
 
“Oh right let me go try it on,” she began to walk toward the restroom.
 
“Oh come Tori please its not like I haven’t seen you undress before. We all know Alex has quit being so shy all of a sudden.” Esme said as she took a seat on the bed. “Besides you’re going to need help with the zipper.”
 
“Right.” Tori nervously began to remove her clothes the faster she did the faster this would be over. “Can you help me with the zipper?” She looked at her sister who quickly got up and helped her.
 
“Wow mom was right you did loose weight.” Esme said but you could here the hint of jealousy. “It looks good. What do you think Alex?”
 
Alex stuttered a little, “It looks nice.” He continued to stare at her and he couldn’t help smile when he saw the red tint forming on Tori’s cheeks.
 
“Perfect,” Esme said heading to the stairs. “See you tomorrow, good night.”
 
“Night.” Tori said trying to sound calm and not mad like she really was.
 
“You really do look nice; I had never seen you in a dress.” Alex said as he began to fix his bed again.
 
“Thanks I guess. Listen lets do this I sleep under the covers and you on top. The floor seems hard and cold.” Tori said as she went the right side of the bed. “Just stay on your side.” she gave him a weak smile. Then she realized she was still wearing the dress and quickly grabbed her pajamas and ran to the restroom to change.
 
********
 
Tori opened her eyes when she felt the light tap on her shoulders. “Tori I need you to wake up.”
 
“I’m sorry what time is it?” She asked.
 
“Its six in the morning sister of mine,” Roberto answered smiling at her. “I came to take Alex but your all up on him.” he pointed toward them.
 
Tori felt a hot flash when she realized she was cuddled her head on his shoulder. Crap! She must have done that during the night. She quickly moved away and cleared her throat. “Sorry…”
 
Alex got up to get ready. “You’re fine.” He said before disappearing into the restroom.
 
Tori took that moment to warn her brother again, “Roberto you better behave.”
 
“Relax Tori I actually like this dude he isn’t like the other Frou-frou’s you’ve dated. He actually looks descent.” He chuckled, “Don’t worry about me sis you should worry about dad no?”
 
Roberto was right damn. She only hoped that Alex remembered everything they had talked about. “Just bring him back in one piece.”
 
“We will you enjoy your day hermanita,” Roberto said as Alex came out ready to go.
 
*******
 
Tori hadn’t been able to sleep anymore so she was up early. She found her mother already in the kitchen making breakfast. “Its smells good.”
 
“Sit mija want a burrito?” Magdalena told her daughter as she served her a cup of coffee.
 
“Yeah sure,” Tori smiled at her mother she missed this. “Thank you mami.” 

”Good morning,” Esme said waltzing in all happy.
 
“Morning,” Tori said smiling at her. She never understood her sister and her ways. Esme was too competitive and she knew it wouldn’t take long for them to bump heads.
 
“Nana arrives today,” Esme said, “I can’t wait for her to see my dress.”
 
“I think I should get started on these cupcakes.” Tori said trying to avoid unnecessary talk with her sister.
 
“I think I should go with you,” Esme said standing up.
 
Tori was about to protest when they heard the loud scream! “Tori!” In came a tall brunette who quickly embraced Tori. “I can’t believe you’re here! So where is he?” she asked looking around.
 
“He went fishing with the boys.” Magdalena spoke handing the brunette a cup of coffee. “Laura is taking Tori to get the things for the cupcakes.” She stared at Esme.
 
“Yes I am, whenever you’re ready Tori.” Laura said.
 
“Yeah well I’m ready lets go.” Tori said as she smiled at her cousin. “Its better this way Esme you have to get ready for the rehearsal you know. You should be getting pampered.”
 
“Yeah call your maid of honor Camila to go with you.” Laura said smiling at Esme.
 
“I guess you both are right I should, let me go call Camila.” They watched her leave and quickly they left.
 
Once in the car Laura sighed, “So tell me what his name is and how you two met?”
 
“Well… I met him at my shop.” Tori began smiling as she felt more comfortable with being with her cousin. “It was love at first sight.” She hated the fact that she was lying to her but it was just a small white lie right? “He became a constant shopper and then one day he asked me out and well here we are.”
 
“I heard from Letty that he is tatted up!” Laura said smiling from ear to ear. “How did my uncle take that?”
 
Tori found herself laughing, “He hasn’t said a thing but then again Alex is a gentleman.” She was smiling as she remembered how well Alex had taken in the situation.
 
“I can’t wait to meet him tonight at the rehearsal,” Laura said excitedly.
 
Tori only smiled as she felt a pang in her gut just thinking about how Alex was doing. She wondered if Roberto was true to his word and was Alex still in one piece. Then her dad was with them? Her dad tended to be a little over protective. She began to pray a few hail Mary’s in her head hoping for the best on that fishing trip. “I can’t wait for you to meet him either.” She finally said as they parked at the Piggly Wiggly grocery store.