- Text Size +
“You should go get ready mami,” Tori told her mother as she sighed in relief. “Now I just have to put the icing on them.”

“Yeah and I’ll help with that,” Laura said as they looked around at all the batches of cupcakes cooling.

“Fine I’ll leave.” Magdalena said as she took off her apron and walked away.

“You did it Tori,” Laura sighed heavily. “Well let’s do this we only have a couple of hours left.”

Tori knew Laura was right and she began making the frosting. Before she knew it all the cupcakes were almost done and Laura had left to get ready. She was in the last batch of cupcakes when she heard the commotion coming from just outside the door.

Soon Roberto was inside laughing and talking about how many fish they had caught. Tori was smiling but continued to work on the last cupcakes. When she felt someone was staring at her she looked up and was met with Alex's brown eyes.

“Hey,” he said walking into the big dinning room where the table was full of cupcakes. “Wow these look good.”

“Thanks.” Tori said as she looked at her work she was proud of it. “I just hope everyone likes them.”

“I'm sure they will you’re the best baker I know.” Alex said as he pointed to her cheek.

“What?” Tori asked wiping her cheek.

“You have frosting... wait its still there.” Alex approached her and his thumb wiped her cheek. He was very close and he could feel her get uncomfortable. “I had fun.”

“Yeah?” Tori asked making herself look at him. He was so close she could feel his breath near her face, “so Roberto kept his promise?”

Alex chuckled a little, “yes and I’m in one piece. The conversation with your dad was also very enlightening I must say.” He gave her a smug smile as he left.

“Wait what he say?” Tori asked but couldn’t go after him she had to finish frosting. Great her dad had talked to Alex and she had a feeling it was not a good talk about her. Why did her father have to be so damn protective?

“See you later sis,” she heard Roberto scream before he left. She hurriedly finished her task in hand; she had to still get ready…

************

Tori had been quiet as she was getting ready. Alex was already dressed and sat quietly doing god knew what on his phone; she could see him from the mirror where she now was struggling to make her hair look descent.

“Mother Fuck-,” she stopped from finishing her sentence and put her finger in her mouth. That was it she gave up she looked fine. Damn curling iron had really gotten her.

“You alright?” Alex asked looking at her with a smug smile.

“Yes just burned my finger with this curling iron.” Tori said clearing her throat, “So are you going to tell me what my father told you?”

Alex looked up from his phone and stared at her. “IT was nothing bad really. Just you know he wants me to take care of you and most of all he doesn’t want me to hurt you. He said if I did he would make me into barbacoa?” He widened his eyes in horror.

Tori rolled her eyes, “my daddy is not capable of killing a fly, so you have nothing to fear.” She said after applying on some lip gloss. “Ok I’m ready let’s go.”

“I know.” Alex responded as he stood up and stared at her. “You look nice by the way, red really looks good on you.”

She smiled at him and looked at him, “You look good in a tie too.” She grabbed her purse and with that the two went upstairs where her father waited. “Daddy.” Tori said startled to see him look so nice in a suit.

“Let’s go mija they’re just waiting on us.” He smiled at her and led them to his truck.

The ride to the rehearsal dinner at the hotel was awkward as her father listened to his music and whistled along. Tori only sighed as she kept turning shades of red.

**********

Tori was exhausted by the time they had finished practicing how they would come into the reception tomorrow. She was glad that Esme had thought of it all and Alex was going to be her partner and not Howie like she had expected.

Now everyone was enjoying the night with all the close friends and of course Esme had made her say a toast; for practice she had said. Now here she was drinking up her fifth or sixth flute of champagne and watching her Nana interact with Alex. He was a charmer because her grandma continued to laugh at whatever it was he was saying.

“I must say he is very hot,” Laura said sitting beside Tori. “I think I’m actually jealous that you found him first.” She dug through her purse and took out six small tequila bottles. “I think we need to start the party up, I sent Mario to get the karaoke system down.” She was smiling as she chugged a little bottle.

Tori couldn’t help laugh at her cousin, “You are crazy Laura! Esme is going to kill you.”

“No she is not she is going to thank me you’ll see.” Laura handed her a bottle, “Come on drink.”

Tori shook her head, “No I’m good.”

“Oh Hell no!” Laura said giving her a look, “You down this or I tell Alex about that one time in college when…” she didn’t finish talking cause Tori’s hand was on her mouth. “That’s what I thought drink up.”

Tori sighed and downed the little bottle, “god I forgot how strong tequila is by itself.” She felt the burning sensation slowly make its way to her stomach. Laura handed her another one and Tori didn’t think twice she drank it.

Soon Mario her cousin was setting up the Karaoke and to Tori’s surprise Esme was the first to sing. She had found it very funny how everyone was now joining in. “I’ll be right back.” Laura told her leaving her and made her way to the mic.

“Hey,” Alex startled her as he sat by her. “I see your cousin is about to sing.”

“Yeah she sings well too.” Tori said looking at Alex. “My family is a little crazy as you can see.”

“I’m having fun don’t worry.” He gave her a smile but her glassy eye look told him she was tipsy. He was about to tell her something when his phone interrupted him. “I have to take this, I’ll be right back.”

Tori nodded only as she watched him leave the reception. She was too busy enjoying her cousin sing. Before she knew it Laura was calling her name and a round of applause came. She was getting persuaded to sing; the way she was feeling she didn’t need much persuasion so she made her way to the mic.

“Your favorite,” Laura said handing her the mic as the Ranchera song began to play. She began to laugh as she realized what she was going to sing.

She heard her brother whistle as she began to sing. She hadn’t sung in Spanish in a long time but she found that when you’re feeling good the words flow out easily. She began to feel the song and what it said about heart break! She got into the song she hadn’t notice that Alex was back and was watching her intently.

Finally she heard the applauds and the whistles from her family, “Wow that felt good.” She said as she handed the mic to someone and made it to a chair. She was feeling good right about now, “where’s Laura?” she asked looking around and did not see her.

Tori needed more tequila so she began looking for her cousin and soon she was outside looking for her. “Laura?” she called out as the breeze hit her and she came to a halt “Oh,” suddenly she didn’t feel so good.

She felt the floor under her move and suddenly she could not control her step, she began to fall but before she fell she felt strong arms take hold of her. “Hey!” she gave Alex a weak smile.

“Hi it seems you’re a bit drunk.” Alex said helping her stand keeping his arm around her. “Come on lets get you inside.”

“No I was looking for Laura,” she said as she tried to walk toward the parking lot, but his grip was not allowing her. “I just want more tequila.” She giggled as she held onto him when she felt herself tripping. “Oops maybe your right.” She looked up at him he was smiling at her.

“We should go inside,” he told her.

“Wait,” she said blowing a strand of her hair away from her face. “I just want to thank you for doing this. I owe you big time don’t I?” she asked him as she stared into his brown eyes. “You’re such a gentleman.”

“Tori I think you should not talk about that right now.” He was now laughing in amusement. Tori was actually a cute and loud drunk.

“You know Laura is right now that I look at you…” she got closer to him only inches away from his face. “You are cute,” she sighed and smiled before she caressed his face. “Really cute,” she murmured as she closed her eyes and her lips connected to his.
Chapter End Notes:
heh, hope you all like. :)