- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This was the original ending for Chronos Project written WELL before I actually got close to the actual end of the story. I thought I would share it with you now.

 She stood in the kitchen watching the clock tick away the seconds. Today was the big day, the day that would change the rest of her life forever. There were a couple of times she thought she was going to lose him for good. She was very close to losing him completely the second time, but help from an unlikely source kept him in her life.

She couldn't keep her fingers from tapping out a random melody on her mug as she waited. Movies always made the waiting part seem terribly long and full of anxiousness, now Julie could knew why and agreed wholeheartedly.

 

She smoothed her dress as she kept her eyes on the clock, finally she could take watching the clock no more. She moved to the table where some flowers were and began to pick at them, pulling a few out randomly and sticking them back together to make a new arrangement. No one would really notice anyway.

 

For one god awful moment she thought it wouldn't happen, perhaps something had changed, something went wrong. Julie started to breathe in short practiced breaths in an attempt to calm herself the way she was taught.

 

Her eyes glanced back to the clock.

 

“Dammit Julie,” she chastised herself. “Watching the clock is not going to make it happen any faster.” She desperately wished she had her mom to talk to but she had passed too long ago, her heart finally giving out. A friend would be nice too, but those she could talk to about it were long gone from her life and others would hardly understand her nerves.

 

'What if he does something to screw the day up,' she thought. “No,” she said out loud as a way to confirm what she already knew to be true. “Kevin would never be able to screw today up.”

 

Feeling more confident after speaking the words out loud she busied herself with the books in front of her. Work didn't stop, not even for a day like today.

 

She was still in charge of rounding up the remaining faction of volunteers Nick had swayed to his side in the original split. The misguided and untrained crew had elected a new leader, a more outspoken leader and even more determined than Nick to try to fix the past, right the wrongs. They were growing increasingly more subtle in their changes and it was becoming difficult to find the exat point of change. Julie was determined to find every change and every volunteer to see things corrected.

Her determination was partly why Howie let her bring work home, even on this day.

 

She felt close to a breakthrough on one particular case when she heard the phone ring.

“Showtime,” she said to no one. “Hello,” she answered.

 

“Hi Julie,” Kevin's voice sounded distant.

 

'Oh god perhaps it wouldn't happen,' she thought for a split second. “Kevin, are you going to do what I asked before...”

 

“I told you I would,” Kevin interrupted her. His voice was quiet causing Julie to smile widely.

 

“I thought we were going to meet sooner, it's several hours later than we planned.” Julie tried to sound normal but her smile, if possible, broadened more as she spoke and she was sure her excitement was coming through her voice.

 

“Yah, I'm sorry. There was an unexpected visitor today and I was needed here.”

 

“That's okay Kevin, I will be ready whenever you are, I'll wait.” Julie couldn't wait to see him that night, but she knew only too well how their work could interrupt their lives in a single moment.

 

“How come you never told me?”

 

She sighed, she knew something like this was coming. “You know perfectly well Kevin. Now go be your charming self and I'll see you later. Just not too late, they aren't open all night and it's the only place this dress would fit in. Kevin, I love you.”

 

“I love you, bye.” with that the call was over and Julie went back to her research.

 

The sun had just began to set when she heard the car door close outside. She rushed to the door and flung it open.

 

“Ever as handsome as I remember.” She flew into Kevin's arms and kissed him passionately. “Now let me get my coat, we are running right on time.”

 

She pulled out her black pea coat and put it over her white dress glancing at the calendar by the door, a circle around the date, April 25. She met Kevin outside and linked her arm through his.

“So this is why you chose...” He started.

 

Julie nodded to him and squeezed his arm. “I thought it was only fitting we should get married the date I fell in love with you.” She smiled at him. “How were they when you dropped them off?” She asked with a little worry.

 

“Your children will be find. Now let's go celebrate our anniversary Mrs. Richardson.”

 

They got into their car as a blond man sneered at their happiness across the street.

Chapter End Notes:

Did you notice anything???