- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 14

 

Aj sat on the stone bench outside of Rayne’s cave.  It was now morning and he hadn’t moved from that spot since Kevin walked him out here after he revived Rayne.  He took a deep breath and put his head in his hands, sighing as he thought back to that moment.  His eyes got heavy and he found himself drifting to sleep a little.

 

“Alex?” He heard Kevin say and he looked up, opening his eyes wider waking himself.

 

“Hey” He yawned.

 

“Wasn’t sure if that was you.” Kevin said with a light smile.  Aj lightly laughed as his friend sat down beside him.  “How’s she doing?” He asked.

 

“Alive, out cold but alive.” Aj said as he looked at the flowers across from him.

 

“Have you slept at all?” Kevin asked.

 

“No and don’t plan too” Aj said.

 

“You need sleep man.” Kevin said as Aj looked at him.

 

“I need to find Drania and I need to end this.” He said with a hint of anger.

 

“What happened?” Kevin asked.

 

“Not a hundred percent on that.” Aj said as he sat back.  “Jaina says she was outside of Rayne’s room and she heard her scream, she wasn’t sure if she had just had a nightmare so she stood at the door for a minute.” Aj told him.  “Jaina said she was screaming at someone but when she opened the door there was nothing there and then Rayne conjured her Grasp spell and threw it at nothing.”

 

“Nothing?” Kevin said shocked.

 

Aj nodded his head.  “Then when Jaina called to her, she yelled at Jaina for help and took off down the hall, she said she tried to go after her but by the time she reached her Rayne was in the globe room.”

 

“Did Jaina chase her to Winnol?” Kevin asked.

 

“No, that’s the thing, Jaina said she went in there but the globe was shut off on the Winnol side, when I got to Sarila I had to teleport over and turn it back on.” Aj told him.  “That’s when I heard the crashing sound and the light show in the room from down the hall.”

 

“So what was she running from?” He asked.

 

“Drania’s been making her see things with this spell; usually it’s been Drania and me together.” Aj said as Kevin nodded.

 

            “Oh” He frowned.

 

            “She didn’t really believe it, it’s why she told me, she knew something was wrong, but this was new, she had never ran down halls running from nothing.”  Aj said as he rubbed his eyes.  “The servants in Winnol said she was screaming for help, crawling on the floor, and then just picked herself up and threw herself into the door.”

 

            “Threw herself?” Kevin said stunned.

 

            “I don’t know.” Aj said sadly.  “It scares me to think Drania can mess with her head that much that she would be able to get Rayne to do that to herself.”

 

“If there’s anything I can do.” Kevin said.

 

“Find Nick before I do.” Aj said as he looked at him.  “I wasn’t with Rayne because I was looking for his ass.  If I was there with her maybe I could have done something Kevin.” Aj said frustrated. 

 

“I’m sorry man.” Kevin said with a frown.

 

“This is not what I wanted to be doing today.” Aj said with a sigh.

 

“What do you mean?” Kevin asked.

 

“I made plans to take Rayne out to Pera for week, she hadn’t been there in a while and it’s a very relaxing place.” He told him.

 

“Where is it?” Kevin asked.

 

“Southern Winnol, warm down there too, kind of reminds me of the Caribbean.” Aj smiled.

 

“Nice.” Kevin nodded.  “Seemed like a nice getaway.”

 

“Yeah” Aj said as he looked up.

 

“So what was so special about today?” He asked.

 

“I was going to ask to her to marry me.” Aj said as he looked down.

 

“Really?” Kevin said with a light smile.  Then he thought about everything that had happened.  “Damn man.”  Aj couldn’t help but lightly chuckle.  The sound of someone coming out the cave made both men sit up straight.

 

“Alexander we are moving her over to the resting rooms.” Kel’Ryn said as Aj and Kevin stood up.

 

“Ok” Aj nodded and then the Elvaan walked away into a doorway across the lawn.

 

“What are the resting rooms?” Kevin asked.

 

“It’s where you go if you need to be in the water longer, can’t be in the water all day, so they move you there for breaks, and then move you back after an hour or so.” Aj explained.  As Kevin nodded understanding two Priests holding each end of a stretcher came out, on the stretcher was Rayne, her eyes closed her face peaceful looking.  Aj frowned when he saw her and didn’t take his eyes off her until she had disappeared into the room.

 

“Have you given any thought on how we got here?” Kevin asked hoping a change in topic would do him better.

 

“I dunno, everyone was still confused coming out of their rooms, when they started hearing the thunder claps and all that they went back into their rooms leaving it for the guards.”  Aj said as he rubbed his eyes again.  “I met up with the guards as they were coming up the stairs after the big bang.”

 

“So it was just Rayne in the room.” Kevin said.

 

“Yep” Aj sighed.  “She can’t bring you here; I’m not saying that selfishly, there is no Druid spell like that.” Aj told him.  “I even asked Halian and she said no.”

 

“How’s her Mom holding up?” Kevin asked.

 

“I hope she’s sleeping right now, she was sitting up with me for a while.” Aj told him.  “What about the girls, how are they taking everything?”

 

“Leigh-Anne and Leigh B are freaking out Leigh B more so than Leigh-Anne.” Kevin said.  “Kris is taking it in strides, I kind of told her about this place.”

 

“You did?” Aj said a little shocked.  “About Nick and me too?”

 

“Yeah.” He nodded.  “Don’t think she believed me, she probably thought it was my way of coping and just smiled and nodded.” He laughed.

 

“But now?”

 

“But now she’s seen this place, she’s seen Rayne and you, and is very grateful her husband isn’t crazy.” He smiled.  Aj laughed a little and rubbed his eyes.  “Go to bed, I’ll sit here if you want.” Kevin told him.

 

“Naw man, go back to Kris show her around or something.” Aj said as he yawned again.  “Nothing you say or do will move me from this spot.”

 

“Alright.” Kevin said with a light smile.  “Well since I have sometime to kill you wanna fill me in on why I need to be chasing Nick down in the first place?”  Aj looked at him and thought for a minute, then realized he hadn’t even told Kevin what had happened to Nick.

 

“Where do I start?” Aj said with a sigh.  He began to tell Kevin about what he found out happens to Warlocks, how they become like addicts, they end up withdrawing and secluding themselves.  Kevin did not like the sounds of it and Aj had to fend of twenty questions.  Then Kevin let him continue and explain why Nalia and Nick took off.

 

“I don’t understand why Nalia would let Nick talk her into taking off like that.” Aj sighed.  “They didn’t have to run, I’m sure something could have been worked out.”

 

“That’s Nick.” Kevin sighed.  “Brian’s been freaking out on where Nick is, I told him I would ask you, said you had enough to deal with.”

 

“I guess he’s not too happy to be back.” Aj said.

 

“Not sure, I think he is, glad to see you but we defiantly walked in on something so he’s gone into defense mode, especially with Leigh here.” Kevin said as they watched Kel’Ryn leave the Springs area.

 

“Well as long as he just chills, we’ll be fine.” Aj said as he stood up.  “I’m going to go check up on her.”

 

“Ok, I’m going to go back to the Castle get Kris, maybe go for that walk, I’ll swing by see if you’re still here.” Kevin said as he walked with Aj across the lawn.  They said their goodbyes and separated.

 

Aj walked into her room and saw her lying on the single bed.  A light silk blanket lied on top of her and her arms laid at her side.  She looked like she was sleeping, maybe she was he wasn’t sure, she was alive, breathing, and right now that’s all that mattered to him.  He stepped aside when the maiden left the room giving them their space and when she left he walked over to her bed, sitting down in the chair beside it.  As he sat back he looked at her, her curly hair already starting to dry and starting to curl again.

 

Leaning forward in his chair he watched her closely.  He stared at her repeating wake up in his head over and over.  Sighing because he knew better his eyes drifted down to her arm.  He reached up and gently brushed his finger tips down her arm, he frowned when he didn’t get the usual goose bumps. His eyes drifted further down, to her fingers, and his heart sank when he saw her bare ring finger.  Carefully he took it between his and lightly skimmed his thumb along where the rings would have been.

 

His jaw clenched as the sadness turned to anger, his breathing started to get heavy, and he gritted his teeth as he thought about Drania.  Gently he put her hand back down and then stood up.  Leaning down he softly kissed her on the lips and then he leaned down further.

 

“I love you.” He whispered into her ear. 

 

Aj stood up and looked at her one more time.  He had almost lost her again, no more.  Drania was going to pay for what she had done and he was going to be the one to make her.  With that thought Aj walked out of the room.

 

“Alexander” Avit said and Aj looked up quickly.  What he saw made him even more furious.  There in front of him was Avit, beside him, Nick and Nalia.

 

“Alex is she…” Nalia stopped and he saw the worry in her eyes.

 

“She’s going to be ok.” Aj said trying to stay calm.

 

“Pixca told me she was gone.” Nick said and Aj looked at him, stared at him.

 

“Pixca huh?” Aj scoffed.  “Pixca tell you guys to leave too?”

 

“Well kind of yeah.” Nick said looking to Nalia and then back to Aj.

 

“Do not be a fucking smart ass right now Nick!” Aj shouted and Nick looked at him stunned.  “Do you know where I was while Rayne was dying?” He yelled as he looked at both of them.

 

“Dying?” Nalia said.

 

“Yes Dying.” Aj snapped.  “Do you know where I was?” He asked again and they both shook there heads.  “I was out looking for you two.”

 

“Alex” Nick said sadly.

 

“I am so fucking angry at the both of you right now I don’t even give a shit why you look the way you do.” He said pointing to Nick.

 

“Alex what happened?” Nalia asked again.

 

“What happened? Hmm let’s see, Rayne was running down the halls from something only she could see apparently, she ran through two Palaces in nothing but her night robe and then threw herself through a door and then onto a coffee table.”

 

“What?” Nalia said stunned.

 

“She wasn’t breathing or anything when I got to her.” Aj said “And the Priests tried raising her all the way here.”

 

“Good thing it worked again.” Nick sighed.

 

“It didn’t.” Aj said almost growling at Nick.

 

“It didn’t? But…but you said she was going to be ok?” Nalia asked confused.

 

“She is, because I saved her.” Aj said.

 

“How?” Nick and Nalia asked.

 

“Did it the old fashion way, a little CPR and some electricity to the heart.” Aj said as he looked back at the entrance.

 

“Dude” Nick said impressed.

 

“I do not understand.” Nalia said confused.

 

“Don’t need to, point is she’s alive.” Aj said as he started walking again.

 

“Where are you going?” Nick asked.

 

“Going to go have a chat with Drania.” Aj said as he headed towards the Healing Springs entrance.

 

“Oh no you are not.” Avit said grabbing him by the arm and turning him around.

 

“Excuse me?” Aj said looking at him stunned.

 

“You are upset Alex.” Avit said.

 

“Damn right I am wouldn’t you be” He snapped at his General.  He then closed his eyes and realized what he said.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“It is alright.” Avit said with a light smile.  “Just stay here Alex please, do not get yourself into trouble. I will bring her here; you can ask her questions then.”  Aj looked at Avit and sighed.  “And besides what is she going to tell you that she already has, she denies everything.”

 

“Fine.” He said as his General let go of his arm.

 

“Thank you.” Avit said with a quick bow.  “I will be back.”

 

“Aj?” Nick said from behind him.

 

“What?” Aj yelled as he turned around.

 

“We’re sorry.” Nick said quietly.

 

“Oh that makes it all better.” Aj snapped.

 

“Look Aj I had to go alright.” Nick said as Aj stared at him lightly shaking his head. 

 

“Yeah and I expected something like this from you, but you.” He said pointing to Nalia.  “You should have known better than to let him talk to you into taking off.”

 

“Me?” Nalia said shocked.  “Better than him going alone.”

 

“Don’t bring her into this.” Nick said stepping in front of Nalia.

 

“Ooh looks like someone grew some balls with the new hair.” Aj snapped.

 

“Fuck you asshole.” Nick said as he reached for Aj.

 

“What did you just call me?” Aj yelled back as he reached for Nick and the two began to wrestle.

 

“Guys stop!” Nalia shouted as she tried to get between the two.  As they were grappling with each other Nick let go of Aj’s arm to get a better grip on his robe.  Aj’s arm snapped back hitting Nalia in the face and she fell to the ground.  Nick looked at Nalia, who was wiping the blood off her mouth, then he looked at Aj who looked at Nalia a little shocked, when Aj looked back at him he pulled back his arm punching Aj in the eye.

 

“Whoa  Whoa!” Kevin shouted as him and Howie pulled Nick back.  Brian ran over to Aj making sure he didn’t take another step.

 

“Get out!” Aj screamed as Nick broke away and went to Nalia.  “Get out of these Springs and get out of my City!” He shouted as Nick helped Nalia up.  The two didn’t say anything as they walked out of the Healing Springs.

 

“Alex are you alright?” Kevin asked as he walked up to Aj.

 

“I’m fine.” Aj said and then winced in pain as he touched his eye.

 

“Was that Nick?” Howie asked.

 

“Yes it was Nick, who the fuck do you think it was?” Aj asked angrily.

 

“Why does he have black hair?” Howie asked.

 

“How the hell should I know?” Aj sighed as he sat down.