- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 16

 

            Nalia closed the drawer to her dresser after pulling out a couple of under shirts.  She turned around and looked at Nick as he pulled out a long heavy thick robe.  Since Alex kicked them out of Winnol they went back to Hevi, to pack for the trip to Tokia.  They wanted to know what had happened in Ashmourn and Augem was the first place to start asking questions.  She wondered what Rossi would say about Nick’s new look.  Nalia had no doubt he was already worried sick about Nick, not being able to leave because of Blizzard seasons.  So many people disappear and get sick during this time.

 

            “How’s your lip?” Nick asked her as he walked over to her.

 

            “Fine” She said with a light smile as she put the shirts into her backpack.  He placed his fingers under her chin and titled her head gently to the side looking at the cut and bruise on her lip.

 

            “Well I hope his eye isn’t.” Nick said as he leaned down and gently kissed her.

 

“I am sure he will cool down once Rayne wakes up.” Nalia said as closed the pack.

 

“I don’t care; he had no right to hit you.” Nick said.

 

“Nick it was an accident.” Nalia told him.  “Can you not tell how upset he is over what happened to her?”

 

“Doesn’t give him the right to take it out on us.” Nick said as he walked over to the other side of the bed.

 

“He is right in a way.” Nalia said and Nick looked at her.  “Had we not taken off, he would have been there and perhaps he could have stopped her from running out of the room all together.”

 

“I had to go.” Nick said as he looked away and grabbed his backpack.

 

“And now, now that your friends are here do you not want to visit with them?” Nalia asked.

 

“I have more important things to worry about.” Nick told her.  “It seems like I’m the only one still trying to fine Pixca.”

 

“And what am I doing?” Nalia asked him.

 

“I didn’t mean you.” Nick said as he walked over to the bedroom door.  “I’ll have time to chit chat and catch up later right now; I’m going to Tokia.  Besides this will give Aj the time he needs to cool down.” He said as he opened the door.  “Are you coming with?”

She stared at him for a moment, not sure if this attitude was him trying to find out what happened to Pixca, or was this a piece of the Warlock, it was hard to tell now, both sides of him seem to be blurring together.  Picking up her backpack she slung it over her shoulder and picked up her heavy robe off the bed.  She walked over to the door and out into the hallway where she waited for him to close up the room.

 

“Do you want to see your Mom first?” Nick asked.

 

“She’s busy in meetings, I told Bussa to let her know.” Nalia said as they walked down the hall.

 

“Is she mad at me?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes” Nalia said as she looked at him.  “But she is just as mad at me.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Nick frowned. 

 

“No need.” Nalia said.  “She does not understand.” She told him as she took his hand.

 

Within minutes they left the Hevi Palace and were now in the Dwarf Keep of Augem.  As the smoke cleared away the doors to the Globe room opened and a small Dwarf in plate armor walked in.

 

“Aye Prince Nickolas.” The man said with a bow.  “King Rossi will be thrilled to see ya.”

 

“Where is he?” Nick asked as him and Nalia followed the dwarf out of the room.

 

“He be in his living quarters.” The guard pointed down the hall.

 

“Thanks.” Nick said as him and Nalia continued walking.

 

The couple walked hand in hand down the halls of the Keep.  It was hard to believe the Castle was built into a mountain; a lot of the homes were built into the mountain side.  Nick started to wonder if that’s what they were doing in Ashmourn.  When they walked into the living room area they saw Rossi, his wife Mela, and their son Dolun.

 

“Aye Nickolas” Rossi said with a bright smile as he got up out of his chair.  “I hear ye be causin some trouble down in Kalica.” Rossi said.  “And by thee looks of ya, they be right.”

 

“Nickolas, what happened to ye hair.” Mela as she reached up to hug him.

 

“I dunno it kind of just happened.” Nick said as he bent down and hugged her back.

 

“So, tell me, what brings ye out to the cold?” Rossi asked as he walked Nick over to the chairs.  “What is all this commotion I hear coming from Kalica.”

 

“I think I found Pixca, or she found me.” Nick told him.

 

“What?” Rossi said a little shocked. 

 

“What’s in Ashmourn Rossi?” Nick asked getting straight to the point.

 

“Ashmourn.” Rossi said breathless, he then looked at Nalia.  “And what lies have ye been tellin’ him missy?” Rossi said as he looked at her.

 

“She didn’t lie about anything Rossi, she told me what she knows happened.” Nick told him.  “Now you tell me what you know.”

 

“There was an accident that is all I know.” Rossi said but Nick got the look he gave Mela.

 

“Rossi, I don’t care what happened a thousands years ago, I only want to find Pixca and what ever happened in that place has something to do with her being missing.”  Nick said.

 

“Aye Nickolas you betta not be sayin what I think ye sayin?” Rossi said as he locked his eyes onto Nick.

 

“Which is?” Nick asked.

 

“Ye think we had something to do with Ignis don’tcha?” He said as he pointed his finger at Nick.  “That thee Dwarves are responsible for Pixca going missing?”

 

“I didn’t say that, I’m just asking what you know happened there.” He asked.

 

“Aye and I told ye, an accident.” Rossi said.  “And I will not have ya come in here and accuse us.”

 

“I’m not but with you getting all defensive it makes me wonder if you’re hiding something.” Nick said as Rossi got up out of his chair. 

 

“I be hidin nothing” Rossi said angrily.  “Ye may be my son but it does not give ya the right to walk in here.”

 

“If I’m your son then tell me the truth, what happened?” Nick shouted.

 

“Enough!” Mela shouted as she stomped her foot and it caused everyone to jump.  “Rossi go check on the round a bouts, Nickolas will ye be stayin for a while?”

 

“Yes” Nick said as he looked from Rossi to her.

 

“Aye then why don’t you and Nalia go to your room and unpack.”  She told him.  “When ya both come back, ya both better have calmed down, or ya both will be sleeping with the Blizzard.” Mela said as she walked over to the door and left the room.

 

           

 

Aj sat on the small cliff that hung over the pool under the Tree Falls.  His robe pulled up to his thighs he lightly kicked his feet around in the water as he stared at his reflection, more specifically his eye.  Lost in his thoughts of everything that had happened in the few days he didn’t hear the wooden door to the Castle open.

 

“May I join you?” A voice said and he jumped as his thoughts scattered away.  He looked up and saw Halian standing beside him.

 

“Sure.” Aj replied.

 

“How are you doing?” She asked as she tucked her skirt under her and dipped her feet into the water.

 

“I’ve been better.” Aj sighed.  “You?”

 

“Falling apart.” She said as she looked down into the water.  “My little girl can’t wake up, people are trying to hurt her, and there is nothing I can do to help her.” She said and Aj saw a tear drip down her cheek.  “But she has you, so that makes me feel better.”

 

“Really” Aj said as she whipped her eyes.

 

“Do you know how special you are?” Halian said, Aj lightly shook his head and she smiled at him.  “Oh Alex.” She sighed.  “My daughter has been shunned upon her whole life, she never had many friends growing up, and really there was only Nalia.” Halian stopped in thought. “And Dyn.” She frowned and Aj looked away.

 

Dyn had hurt Rayne so much it was hard for Aj to remember they were once close friends. “Adop and I spent many nights worrying she would end up alone, we worried she would end up secluding herself from everyone but then you came along and changed all of that.” She told him.  “You gave her life again and I do not mean what you did at the Springs.”

 

Aj frowned as he pulled Halian into his arms for a hug.  She cried on his shoulder and he didn’t mind.  He was kind of all she had right now, her husband dead a year now, and then there was Rayne.

 

“Now about Nickolas.” Halian said as they pulled away and she wiped her eyes.

 

“Halian I really think.” She interrupted him.

 

“You need to let him go Alex, I know you two are close but what he is going through he needs to do on his own and he has Nalia watching him and your friends are here again.” She told him.  “If they find something on Pixca, she will let you know but for now let him find what he needs to find.  You don’t need to be the only one watching out for him anymore.” Aj lightly smiled as he looked down and then they both sat there in silence.

 

“I wanted to take her to Pera for a few days.” Aj said as he looked into the water.

 

“She would have loved that.” Halian told him.

 

“I wanted to ask you something before we left but then she started getting sicker, then Nick took off, and now this, I never got a chance too.”  Aj said as she looked at him confused.  “I want to ask Rayne to marry me and I want your permission.”

 

“You do not need it, she is Queen.” Halian told him.

 

“I know but I still want it, where I come from its important.” He told her and then his face fell with sadness.  “I should have been there, I should have protected her and I wasn’t but that will never happen again, I promise you.” He said as he lip started to quiver and a tear dripped down from his eye.

 

“Alex” Halian sighed.  “You could not have known, you were trying to find your friends, Rayne’s friends, do not blame yourself.  She will wake up, she will pull through my daughter is strong.”  She said as she hugged him.  “You have my permission; there is no one else good enough.” She said as they pulled away and it made him smile.  “Go see her, she’s a Druid, she still might be able to sense you around.”

 

“Ok.” Aj nodded

 

“I will be by later I need to go to Sarila and check on things.” She said as she stood up.

 

“Thanks for the talk.” He said as they started to walk down to the lawn.

 

“Anytime Alex.” Halian said as she hugged him again. 

 

They separated there, Halian walked across the lawn and back into the Castle, Aj took the city entrance and headed to the Healing Springs.  When he got there he was surprised to see Howie, Leigh B, Brian, Kevin and Kristin all sitting on the lawn.

 

“Hey man.” Kevin nodded.  “Where were you?”

 

“Having a chat with Rayne’s Mom.” Aj said as he looked around at everyone.

 

“Jaina’s inside and we’re out here, all is well.” Brian said as Aj looked at him lying on the grass.  He then felt something tap him on the shoulder and he turned around, seeing nothing.  Shaking it off he turned back to his friends, only to see Leigh-Anne standing right in front of him.

 

“Hi” She said with a smile.

 

“Son of a bitch!” Aj shouted as he jumped back almost tripping over his feet.  “What the hell woman.” Aj said grabbing his heart.

 

“She’s been doing that since we got back from the Magic Fields.” Brian said rolling his eyes.

 

“I’m a Thief.” Leigh-Anne smiled and then she disappeared.

 

“Great.” Aj said knowing the fun that was coming, well Leigh-Anne being able to stealth and then pickpocket was not his idea of fun.  “Well at least she’s warming up to the place.”

 

“This one almost set my hair on fire.” Howie said nodding to his wife.

 

“Mage?” Aj asked with a smile.

 

“Battle Mage.” Leigh B said. 

 

“The fire goes on the sword sweetheart.” Aj said jokingly.

 

“I know that now.” Leigh B said smiling.

 

“What about you?” Aj said nodding to Kristin.

 

“Hunter.” Kristin said squishing her nose up.

 

“Hunter’s are cool, did you get a pet?” He asked.

 

“Not yet, they said one will come to me.” Kristin said shrugging.  “But I can shoot pretty pink arrows.”

 

“Arcane arrows hun.” Kevin said.

 

“What ever they’re pretty.” She smiled jokingly and Aj started laughing as he sat down on the grass with his friends.