- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 2

 

AJ sat in his chair as he looked down at his long dark green robe and picked something off the silver trimming.  He looked up when Elder Drania, the new Elder, announced Queen Evia to the front of the stage.  He clapped with everyone else as she walked proudly to the front.  Looking to his left he saw Rayne sitting, watching Evia as she address the crowd.  Her mom Halian was sitting beside her on the other side.  On his right was Nick and beside him was Nalia.  They were all sitting on a stage in front of the citizens of Pomic and the citizens of Pixcadia as people had come from all around to celebrate.

 

“I want to thank everyone for joining the people of Kalica in celebrating this wondrous occasion.” She spoke so everyone could hear.  “Tonight we celebrate our freedom; we celebrate the return of this land to its people.”  Everyone cheered and clapped and Evia gave them a moment to do so.  “Now that this chapter of our new beginning is over, we have another chapter starting.  We must be strong, we must help restore the rest of Pixcadia, because as we move on to another chapter so do our Guardians.”  AJ looked around at the crowd; they started to whisper to each other.

 

“We now know our beloved Pixca is missing, taken from us by Ignis, and our Guardians are the ones who can find her.”  Evia told the crowd.  “We will take care of Pixcadia, so they can rid this land of the evil that corrupts it once and for all.”

 

The crowd again broke out into cheers as the people clapped for the Guardians on the stage.  AJ looked over at Nick who was smiling as he looked at the crowd, he looked beside him at Rayne and she was sitting with her hands folded on her lap, her eyes gazing at the platform floor they were on. 

 

“Rayne?”  AJ whispered to her as he gazed at the crowd to see if anyone was looking at her too. When she didn’t say anything he put his hand on her back. “Rayne sweetheart are you ok?”

 

“I just feel a little light headed.” She whispered back.  “I am fine.”  He looked at her not sure if he believed her but not wanting to interrupt the ceremony he sat back in his chair and took her hand, she lightly smiled at him and looked back to the crowd.

 

“So now let us all celebrate this wondrous day, the day all of Pixcadia can move forward in a new chapter” Evia said and the crowd cheered, whistled, and clapped as the celebration began.  As AJ clapped with everyone else he quickly looked over to Rayne, she was clapping but her eyes weren’t focused and she blinked and shook her head lightly.  Everyone on the stage stood up as people began dancing and celebrating in the square and AJ quickly turned to Rayne.

 

“I want a Priest to look at you.” AJ said as he gently took her by the arm as she stood up.

 

“Really Alex I’m..” He watched as her eyes rolled back and she started to fall.  Quickly he reached down and caught her.

 

“What is going on?” Halian asked shocked as he picked her up and cradled her.

 

“She said she felt light headed during the speeches, when she stood up she passed out.” AJ said as he walked down the side steps of the platform. 

 

“Take her to the Palace. It is closer than the infirmary.” Evia said as Avit came rushing over.  “I will go get a Priest.”

 

“I will go with you.” Halian said to her as they two woman left the group.

 

Everyone made their way to the Palace trying not to bring to much attention to Rayne lying unconscious in AJ’s arms.  He made his way up the stairs and down to the room they were staying in. As he walked down the hall Rayne began to wake up.

 

“Alex?” She said confused as she lifted her head.

 

“Just relax Rayne.” AJ said as he looked down at her.  Nalia opened the door and let AJ walk in with Rayne.  He carried her over to their bed and Nalia pulled the blankets back as he laid her down.

 

“What happened?” She asked as he pulled the covers over her. 

 

“You passed out.” AJ said to her as he helped her get comfortable.  “You’re Mom and Evia went to get a Priest.” AJ told her.

 

“I do not need a Priest I am fine Alex.  It is probably the fact I have not had that much sleep in the past couple of days.”  She told him but he lightly shook his head.

 

“I still want a Priest to check you out.” He said as he gently kissed the back of her hand.  “You don’t look that well.” AJ said as he brushed his fingers down her cheek.  When Evia and Halian walked in with the Priest, AJ stood up and stepped out of the way.  As the Priest asked Rayne some questions about what happened before she passed out, AJ walked out into the hallway.

 

“You ok man?” Nick asked as AJ turned around.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded.  “Just letting the Priest do his thing.”

 

“I’m sure she’s just tired.” Nick said as they both sat down on the window ledge.

 

“I know but the way this place is I can’t help but think it’s something else.” He sighed.

 

“Yeah” Nick nodded.  “I wonder what the guys are doing.”

 

“Bet ya Howie’s talking on his cell phone.” AJ nodded.  Nick lightly laughed with a nod.

 

“You think Kevin started his record label?” Nick asked.

 

“Maybe, I’m sure they didn’t go forward with the group.” AJ shrugged.  “Maybe he’s on Broadway.”

 

“Do you think we’re dead?” Nick asked.

 

“Dunno.” AJ shrugged. 

 

“Do you think the guys remember?” Nick asked again.

 

“Dunno.” AJ sighed.  “You mean us?” he then asked.

 

“Us, this place, what happened?” Nick said as he looked at him.

 

“Dunno man.” AJ said.  “You don’t regret staying do you?”

 

“No” Nick said quickly. “You?”

 

“No, hell no.” AJ shook his head.  “I mean I miss it, miss Ma, but I feel like I’m suppose to be here, I didn’t feel that back on Earth.”  Just then AJ and Nick looked up as Evia, Nalia, Halian and the Priest walked out of the room.

 

“Is she ok?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes she is.” The Priest nodded.  “But she needs some rest and I am not meaning a few hours of sleep.  She has exhausted herself with working on the Council and helping Princess Nalia with Kalica.”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said with a light bow to the Priest.  He then looked at everyone else.  “Why don’t you guys go to the party, I’ll stay here with Rayne.”

 

“Are you sure?” Halian asked.

 

“Yeah, if I need anything I’ll send Avit.” He told her.

 

“Alright.” Rayne’s mom said with a light smile at him.  She leaned in and hugged him and then walked over to Evia.

 

“Don’t get stupid, you’re a Prince remember, people don’t need to see your gitches.” AJ said to Nick.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I dunno ask Rossi and the people of Tokia.” AJ said as him and Nalia started laughing.

 

“Hey that Dwarf Ale is strong; no one told me it was that strong till after I had 3 mugs of it.” Nick whined.

 

“I’ll keep an eye on him.” Nalia said still laughing as she took Nick by the arm.

 

“You were just as drunk as I was.” Nick said to her as they began walking away.

 

“I also did not take my clothes off.” Nalia said to him.

 

“Well not in front of them.” Nick said as Nalia smacked his arm.  AJ shook his head and laughed as he walked into his room.  As he closed the door he looked over at the bed and saw Rayne sitting up against the headboard, a pillow tucked behind her back.

 

“Hey” He said with a light smile as she looked at him.  “How are you feeling?”

 

“Better” She said as he crawled up the bed beside her.

 

“So you have been feeling sick.” He frowned as he slid his fingers between hers.

 

“Not sick, just tired.” She said as he looked up at her.  “I honestly did not think I was that tired.” She told him as he laid his head on her lap and she gently brushed her fingers through his hair.  “I hope you did not worry too much.”

 

“Well I’m better now that you are.” He said as he looked up at her, she lightly smiled at him and he smiled back.  Then she slowly leaned down and softly kissed him.  Just like before the kiss started out small but grew to something bigger, something stronger and AJ slowly sat up turning himself to face her, as she slid down the bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nick sat at a round table, bits of food left on the plates around him, glasses half full with Ale and Wine.  He bit down on a carrot well it was called simol but it looked and tasted like a carrot to Nick.  When he felt someone approach him, he looked up and saw Elder Drania walk up to him.

 

“Hello Prince Nickolas.” She said with a bow.

 

“Hi” Nick said as he stood up and bowed.

 

“I am sorry to trouble you, I was just wondering where Queen Rayne was?” She asked.

 

“Oh, uh, King Alexander took her too their room, she was pretty tired.” Nick said.

 

“I had heard she fainted, is that true?” She asked as they both say down.

 

“Yeah, but she’s ok now, like I said just tired.” Nick replied.

 

“Perhaps I should go see if there is anything I can do.” Drania said as she stood back up.

 

“I doubt it; the Priest said she just needed rest.” Nick told her.

 

“Well then I guess I will see her when we leave for Winnol tomorrow.” She said with a light smile.  “Thank you for your time Prince Nickolas.”

 

“It’s cool.” Nick said with a shrug.  She lightly smiled as most people did when they didn’t really understand what he meant.  They both bowed and then Elder Drania walked away.

 

“Was that Elder Drania?” Nalia asked as she walked up to the table.

 

“Yeah, she was wondering where Rayne was.” Nick said as Nalia sat down beside him. “So” He aid as he looked at her.  “Everyone seems to be going home tomorrow.”

 

“Yes.” She said with a nod.  “It will be nice to see this place get back to normal.”

 

“How about we take a vacation?” Nick asked.

 

“You and your vacations.” Nalia said with a smile.  “And where would we go?”

 

“I dunno, what about the cottage?” Nick asked.

 

“Whisper Falls?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah” Nick said with a smile.  “Rayne needs a vacation too right? Besides we haven’t been there since all that crap with Ignis, maybe we’ll find something new while we’re there.”

 

“Sounds like a wonderful idea.” She said smiling.

 

“But until then.” Nick said as he stood up and reached his hand out for her.  “We dance.” He smiled.  She took his hand with a smile and he walked her over to where everyone else was dancing.