- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 21

 

“I demand to know the meaning of this!” Rexil shouted as two guards brought her into the room with Aj and Avit.

 

“Sit down!” Aj shouted at her and Avit looked at him.

 

“You have no right to talk to me like that, Human.” Rexil said angrily at him.

 

“I’m King; I’ll talk to you any way I fucking want.” Aj snapped at her as he slammed his hands down onto the table.  “You are under arrest.”

 

“For what?!” She demanded.

 

“For unlawful and unauthorized use of Mind Magic.” Avit told her.

 

“You think it was me who attacked Rayne?” She asked.

 

“We don’t think we know.” Aj told her.

 

“You have no proof.” She said as Aj walked around her.

 

“We have Rayne.” Avit said as he sat back.

 

“Impossible.” Rexil scoffed.

 

“Really and why is that?” Aj said as he leaned close to her.

 

“Alex.” Avit said not looking at him, when Aj stepped back Avit looked at Rexil again.  “Rayne is awake and she has told us everything she knows.”

 

“You lie” Rexil said looking at him.  “She remembers nothing, I made sure of it.” Rexil said and the two men stared at her in shock.  They didn’t think she would come clean this quick.  “How does it feel Alexander, to know she loved someone else before you?” Rexil said as she looked at him.  Aj didn’t say anything, he wanted to hit her, he wanted to send an ice bolt at her and watch her scream in pain but he couldn’t, he was king and besides Avit would stop him before his fingers even started to sparkle.

 

“She loves Dyn but she doesn’t remember what he did to her.” Aj said to her trying to stay calm.

 

“And you will be the first to tell her.” Rexil said.  “Tell her the first man she ever loved, tried to rape her, take her for his own.  Please let me be there, so I can see the heart break etch into her soul forever.”

 

Aj jumped at her but it was like Avit knew what was going to happen and he grabbed Aj by the arms and pulled him out of the room.  Avit pulled him down the jail hallway as he shouted at Rexil.

 

“Alexander!” Avit shouted.  “Control yourself now.”

 

“Control myself?!” He shouted at Avit.  “She took Rayne away from me.”

 

“Queen Rayne is still here Alex.” Avit said sadly.

 

“Well she might as well not be.” Aj growled angrily.  “Too look into her eyes and see nothing staring back at me, to see and hear her so hurt because of Dyn, and to know she would rather have him here than me?” Aj said as he cried.

 

“She does not know.” Avit said trying to comfort him.

 

“I don’t care!” Aj yelled.  “I do, me! I’ll feel it every time I go to bed with out her, every time she looks at me and every time I reach out she’s not there, I’ll know.”

 

“Put Rexil in jail, I want her trial to start tomorrow.” Aj told Avit and then he left the jails.

 

He flew out of the jail door into the Castle lobby unaware to the people around him; the only thing he could hear was Rexil’s voice, her words eating at him.  He walked up the stairs, his hand on the railing, he sluggishly reached the top.

 

“Hey!” Someone shouted and he turned around to see Nick at the bottom of the stairs.  “Been looking for you.” He said as he ran up the steps skipping two as he went.

 

“Not in the mood Nick.” Aj said as he waited for him.

 

“I’m not here to start shit.” Nick said.  “And I’m sorry for what I did; we should have at least told you where we were going.”

 

“Yeah you should have.” Aj said as they started walking down the hall.  Nick lightly smiled at him.  “Have you found anything in Tokia yet?” Aj asked.

 

“No” Nick huffed.  “Rossi knows something or he knows where I can look and he’s not telling.”

 

“I don’t think he will.” Aj said and Nick looked at him confused.  “Come here.” Aj said nodding him over to his room.  Nick followed him in the Master Bedroom and sat down on the couch as Aj walked over to his desk.

 

“The other night I went to Darlawind.” Aj said.

 

“Yeah Kevin told me that’s where you took off too.” Nick said as Aj walked over.

 

“I found these in the Library.” Aj said as he gently tossed three books onto the couch.  “The green one is the history of Winnol, the second one is the Elvaan recount for the War, and the third one is believed to be Myth but something tells me it’s not.”

 

“Why?” Nick said as he picked up the book Aj was talking about.

 

“It mentions the creatures you and Nalia saw, it doesn’t say where in Pixcadia it is, and I didn’t really read the whole thing.” Aj told him.  “So you’ll have to read it and see.”

 

“Wow man thanks.” Nick said as he picked up the books.

 

“If you ask me, the Elvaan’s knew the Dwarfs were up to something, by the sounds of it we were gearing up to help the Human’s because things were getting hairy.”

 

“What happened?” Nick asked

 

“They stopped showing up, it’s reported in the book they received word from the King himself, he told them there was an accident.” Aj said with a shrug.

 

“That’s what Nalia told me the King told the Human’s as well.” Nick said as he stood up.

           

            “Well I hope the books tell you something.” Aj said as the two walked out the room.

 

“Thanks man.” Nick said with a light smile.

 

“I’m still a Guardian.” Aj told him.

 

“I’ll let you know what we fine.” Nick said as the two quickly hugged.  “Are you going to go visit Rayne now before she goes back to Sarila today?”

 

“Maybe” Aj said with a light shrug.  “We picked up Rexil this morning; I want her trial to start tomorrow so I’m going to be busy with Avit.” Just then Halian and Rayne came around the corner at the end of the hall.  “Anyways I should go.” Aj said as he started talking down the hall.

 

“Wait Alex.” Nick said as he turned around and looked at his friend.

 

“Hope the books help.” Aj waved as he headed down the stairs.

 

“Was that Alex?” Halian asked as they approached Nick.

 

“Ah yeah, he had to go though, something about Rexil.” Nick told them.

 

“I need to talk to him.” Halian said looking at Rayne.  “Go in and get your things, I will be right back.” Nick watched as Halian hurried down the hall and then he looked back as Rayne walked into the room.

 

“So, how are you feeling?” Nick asked.

 

“Fine thank you” She said with a light smile.  “Where is Nalia?”

 

“She went with the girls; they had some more training today.” Nick told her.

 

“I hope they are adjusting well.” Rayne told him.  “I imagine it must be scary for them, to be in another place like this.”

 

“It was at first but I think they’re warming up to it.” Nick smiled.  “I know how scary it was for me but I didn’t let anyone know.” Nick told her remembering.  “Alex did not want to be here, he wanted to go home, I think he was like that cause he was scared too.”

“Well he has seemed too warmed up to the place.” Rayne said as she locked her jewelry box.

 

“Yeah well he had you.” Nick said

 

“Me?” Rayne said a little shocked.  “Oh right.” She sighed as she looked away and Nick frowned.

 

“He really does love you.” Nick said and she stopped what she was doing and looked at him.  “He’s saved your life a few times now, in fact if you want I can take you out by Darlawind and show you how much.” Nick said talking about the strip of open land that now ripped through the middle of the island.

 

“What’s in Darlawind?” She asked.

 

“We were out doing recon…” He stopped when she looked at him confused.  “Looking to see where Ignis was camped out on the island.” He explained to her and she nodded understanding.  “Well Ignis took Nali and I went after them, you and Alex went after us, and during the rescue things got crazy.”  He said as she listened.  “They took you and brought you to their camp. Johon tried to escape with you and AJ stopped him.”

 

“How?” She asked.

 

“Tohil spell.” Nick said and Rayne started laughing. “What’s so funny?” Nick asked.

 

“A Tohil spell?” She asked.  “Oh no wonder Nalia likes you.” She laughed.

 

“You think I’m joking.” Nick said with a sigh.

 

“A Tohil spell Nick? I’ve lost my memory for the past two years not my entire life.” Rayne said as she started to calm down.

 

“Ask Nalia if you don’t believe me.” Nick said as he stood up.

 

“And have you two joke with me all day about it?” She said with a light laugh.

 

“Then go fly by Darlawind, you’ll see.” Nick said as he walked out of the room. 

 

For the first time since the conversation started she wondered if Nick was telling the truth.  A Tohil spell, no one could cast that spell, no one could conjure the Ancient spells, Myths made up to inspire young Mages.

 

“Darling?” She heard her Mom say and she looked up.  She saw Alex standing beside her.  He looked like he didn’t want to be there, she hadn’t really looked at him before, he didn’t look like Dyn at all actually he looked like Tsa.  He had her eyes, eyes she was known so widely for.  How loving and caring they were, no matter Human, Dwarf or Elf.

 

“Everything alright?” Her Mom asked.

 

“Ah yes, yes.” She said quickly snapping too.

 

“Your Dresses are in this one and your robes are in this one.” Aj said pointing to the two large standing dressers.  “That chest over there has your Druid stuff in it.”

 

“Oh ok.” Rayne said nodding.

 

“If that’s everything I need to go check in with Avit.” Aj said and she noticed he didn’t look at her but at her Mom.

 

“Alex…” Her mother said sadly.

 

“I need to prepare for Rexil’s trial tomorrow, I’m sorry.” He said and then he left the room. 

 

Her Mother turned to her and Rayne could see the look in her eyes.  “Please Mother do not tell me who I am suppose to love.” She said turning around. “It is bad enough I have Nickolas who did not live here, lie to me and tell me Alexander conjured a Tohil spell to save me.” She said as she walked over and opened up her dresser door.

 

“He did Rayne.” Halian said and Rayne spun around and looked at her.

 

“What?” She asked stunned.

 

“Johon took you, he was trying to escape with you and Alex conjured a Tohil spell to stop him.” Halian told her.  “When Nick had brought you to safety, he released the spell and sent every one of Ignis’s men out into Ocean.” Halian told her still able to remember waking up in the water after words, as Ignis’s men pulled her onto the boat.

 

“Nickolas said it ripped through the island.” Rayne said in awe.

 

“It did, it is still there, and the Elvaans are turning into a beautiful park.” Halian said with a smile.  “Leads all the way to the ocean, they’re going to name it Meleth Cirith.”

 

“Loves pass” Rayne said as she translated the Elvaan words.

 

“Dyn must have been…” Rayne was interrupted.

 

“Dyn was evil Rayne.” Halian told her and Rayne looked up at her shocked. “He did not love you; he only wanted to hurt you.” Halian said and Rayne lightly shook her head.  “Yes Rayne.” Halian said taking her hands.  “You want to know how much Dyn loved you? He loved you so much he kidnapped you, tried to sail away on Winnol’s commanding ship, and had Alex not gotten to you in time…” Halian stopped as the thought choked her up.

 

“What Mother?” Rayne asked.

 

“I can not even say what he would have done Rayne, that’s how horrible it is.”  Halian told her.

 

“No he would never…”

 

“He did Rayne and Alex stopped him and he saved you.” Halian said. “Remember I told you about Ignis what happened to me.” Rayne nodded. “I remember what Dyn confessed to me about you.” Rayne looked away quickly her face turning red just as fast. “But it was not love, it was lust an unhealthy lust and on that ship he showed you too.” Her mother watched as she closed her eyes tightly. “I wish I could have been there to see Dyn’s face when the Elemental picked him up.”

 

“Elemental!” Rayne shouted.  “Now you want me to believe he conjured an Elemental?”

 

“He is very powerful Rayne, you all are.” Halian told him.  “But when it comes to you nothing will stop him from protecting you, even now.”

 

“Now?” Rayne said.

 

“Have you noticed how angry he’s been?” Halian said.  “But how different he is when he knows you’re around.”

 

“Well I can not just start loving him.” Rayne told her.

 

“I nor Alexander are asking you too, he’s upset because you did not tell him how you felt about Dyn.  You felt that it would upset him, that he might think you truly did love Dyn and that is why you had feelings for Alex.”  Halian took her hand.  “When you lost your memory you forgot and when you started asking for Dyn and were so upset over him, Alex figured it out, I guess.”  Rayne walked over the bed and sat down.

 

“You stopped loving Dyn long before Alex came here and you did think when he returned perhaps you could help him, that there was still something there, so you went to talk to him but he showed you exactly who he was.” Halian told her.  “It was just after that Dyn escaped and took you onto the ship.”

 

“I tried to stop him from going.” Rayne said to her.

 

“And it changed nothing and you told me that yourself.  Dyn was obsessed with Marsa and his hatred towards him.” Halian told her as she sat down beside her daughter.

 

“I am so confused.” Rayne said as she started crying.

 

“I know sweetheart.” Halian said sadly as she pulled her daughter into a hug.