- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 26

 

Rayne sat on the back of the Gryphon, her arms wrapped around AJ as they flew over the tall trees of the Winnol forest.  It had been a long time since she had been over this area. She came here years ago with her Father, meeting Kel’Ryn and the Elvaans of Pera.  The city was large, but not as big as Winnol.  Most of the city in trees and cliffs, long bridges connecting each of the buildings and homes.  Her Father told her this is how the Elvaans use to live, until Pixca built the tree Castle and many of them moved up North. 

 

Her eyes drifted from the ground to Alex and the thought of everything that had happened made her frown.  It hurt to know someone hated you so much for something you had no control over.  She never chose to be a Druid, it was given to her by Pixca, why Pixca chose a Human and not the Talent’s race of Elvaan she doesn’t know.  When she found out she was a Guardian she had hoped it would change how Rexil felt about her, but it didn’t, it made it worse, and Alex paid for it.

 

Drifting her lips down his neck she lightly kissed him and he leaned back a little, into her arms.  She remembered back to just moments ago, when she was in her room putting her things away, she had thought about what she saw, Alex saving her, bringing her back to life.  Even with her memories of him she was still in awe he would try something like that.  But then again it was her who went beyond what a Druid could do for him, bringing his friends back.

 

Rayne looked over AJ’s shoulder and smiled when she saw the Winnol flag flying high above the Pera Gryphon Tower, well it wasn’t really a tower, more like a tree.  AJ landed the Gryphon and helped Rayne down from the giant bird.

 

“You’re Majesty, it is an honor to have you and Queen Rayne here.” A tall slender young Elvaan said.  “Kel’Ryn has asked me to show you to your cottage. My name is Jaimson if you need anything I will be happy to help”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said as some servants took their bags from the Gryphon.

 

AJ and Rayne followed the Elvaan along the bridge that hung from the Gryphon tower to another building.  They walked along more bridges their eyes looking around at the beauty of the City. For AJ it had been the first time he was there, and it felt like it to Rayne as well, having not being there since she was little.

 

“Your cottage is this way.  It is the only cottage that is somewhat away from the city.” Jaimson said as he led them away from the city.  When they reached a smaller bridge they turned onto it and it led them right to their cottage.  Jaimson opened the door for them and let the couple enter first.

 

The cottage may have appeared small on the outside but the inside told a different story.  They stood in a large living area with couches and chairs and yes even a fire place.  The cottage looked like it continued in a circle, with the bedroom on one side of the room and the dinning room on the other.  Rayne wondered if the two rooms wrapped around to meet on the other side of the tree.

 

“There is a balcony off of the bedroom, incase you choose to have breakfast out there.  Someone will come to you every morning, afternoon, and evening to take your order.”

 

“Cool thank you.” AJ said with a nod.

 

“If there is anything else you need, please feel free to ask.” Jaimson said with a bow.  “I will leave you now so you could get settled.”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said again as he walked the man to the door.

 

“Again it is an honor to have the both of you here.” The man said with a smile and a bow.  They said goodbye and AJ closed the door.  He turned around and looked at Rayne.

 

“Alone at last.” He said with a smile.  When he walked over to her she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. 

 

“This is perfect.” She whispered as they held each other.

 

“Only the best for you.” He replied as they pulled away.  “Let’s go see the balcony.”  She smiled and he took her hand as they headed into the bedroom. 

 

When they walked into the room they both stopped and looked around, the bed not on any kind of stand or frame sat on the floor in the middle of the room.  Long silk like blankets in the Winnol green laid across it, pillows of the same material and colour sitting in a pile at the head of the bed.

 

“That’s sweet.” AJ smiled as he pointed to the bed and Rayne lightly laughed.

 

Two large green curtains hung down the wall and AJ walked over, pulling them back, revealing two large glass doors leading to a balcony.  He opened the doors and walked outside, a small metal table sat in the corner with two chairs on either side.  Placing his hands on the thick railing he looked out to the trees around him and that’s what they were, trees.  No houses in them, no prying eyes, just them.  AJ looked down when her arms wrapped around him from behind. 

 

“I hope you don’t go climbing these trees and break your arm again.” AJ said with a sly smile.

 

“What?” She said confused as she pulled away.  “How did you know about that?”

 

“Your Mom told me.” He said as he turned around and faced her.  “When you were in the Springs, we had a talk and she told me that story.”  Rayne lightly smiled as she looked away.  “How come you don’t talk about your child hood? I’ve told you all about mine.”  He asked as he sat down in the chair.

 

“What is there to tell.” She said as she looked at him.  “You did so many amazing things when you were little and then when you joined the group.  I spent most of mine alone in Winnol, or in my room in the Palace.”  She said at it made him frown.

 

“What about Nalia? Or Dyn?” He said reluctantly and it even shocked her he said his name.

 

“I only saw Nalia when I went home for visits and Dyn was at his school, the Mage School.  He would come and see me when he could but Rexil did not like when he was around so he could never really stay long.”

 

“So she even hated on him for being around you?” He asked as she sat down beside him.

 

“Yes, she did not like me talking to any Elvaan, especially King Marsa’s son.” She said as she looked at him.  AJ watched as her eyes got lost in thought and then she smiled.

 

“What?” AJ asked her knowing she was remembering something.

 

“When ever Rexil would get upset after finding Dyn helping me study, answering questions I had about the Elvaans, she would kick him out.  There would always be a servant from the Castle show up from Marsa inviting me to dinner.” She smiled.  “I knew it was Dyn going home and telling his Father about Rexil and it was Marsa’s way of getting back at her.”

 

“Why did you two wait so long to tell each other?” AJ asked.

 

“Alex are you sure you want to talk about this?” She asked as she placed her hand over his as it sat on the table.

 

“Yes.” AJ said to her.  “I want to know everything about you, I know who you are now, I want to know who you were, even if you were a quiet girl who didn’t do anything fun cause people are assholes.” Rayne smiled he always had a way with words.  Then he stood up and walked up to her, she looked up at him and watched as he knelt down in front of her.  “And I want to know who you’re going to be.” AJ said as he took her hands.

 

“I wanted to make sure I did this right.” He said reaching into his pocket.  He took a breath and ran the words he had practice over and over in his head.  Holding the rings in his hand he held them out in front of her.  “In my hand I hold two rings, this ring is for the love I have for you, the love I share with you and this ring is for the love you have for me and the love you share with me.”

 

“Alex” Rayne said a little breathless.  She had never seen an Elvaan proposal as they were only ever done in private.  When he opened his hand and the one ring sat in his palm she looked up at him, tears forming in her eyes.  “I ask that we become one that our bond be completed now and forever.  I ask that you wear these rings as a symbol of that bond.”  He said as he looked into her eyes. 

 

“Yes.” Rayne blurted out.  “Of course I will.”  AJ lightly laughed at her reaction as he slipped the rings on her finger.  As the rings rested at the bottom of her finger his fingers slid through hers and closed over her hand.  Leaning up he kissed her as his other hand gently wrapped around the back of her neck, his fingers softly tangling into her hair.

 

 

 

 

 

“I hope AJ’s having a good vacation.” Howie huffed as he plopped down in his chair.

 

“I’m sure he is.” Kevin said and they looked at him.

 

“I know that smile, you know something.” Brian said pointing at his cousin.  “He knows something.” He said looking from Kevin to everyone else in the room.

 

“So what if he did it’s not like it’s our business.” Kristin said looking up from her book.

 

“And you told the wife, come on, tell us.” Brain pouted.

 

“Dude, I know nothing.” Kevin said getting up and away from Brian.

 

“Bullshit.” Nick faked a cough trying to muffle the word.  He looked up in time to see Kevin shooting him a look.

 

“I’m going to bug you until you break.” Brian said to him.

 

“Well now you’ve got my interest.” Howie said sitting back in his chair.

 

“Come on guys drop it.” Kevin sighed.

 

“No one do a damn thing until he tells us, he can only take us not working for so long.” Leigh B piped up and Kevin rolled his eyes.  They all started to put their books down and look at him, even Nalia.

 

“Fine but when they get back you have to act surprised.” Kevin said looking around.

 

“Fine.” Everyone said as they perked up, realizing they were going to get it out of him.

 

“AJ told me he’s been planning this trip for a while but then she got sick, so he waited, then he was going to take her anyways but then the whole thing with Rexil happened and he never got a chance to.” Kevin told them.

 

“I thought it was a spare of the moment thing?” Brian asked.

 

“I think I remember her mentioning something about him taking her to Pera?” Nalia said not a hundred percent about her memory.

 

“Yes.” Kevin nodded.  “And while he’s there he’s going to ask her to marry him.”

 

“Get out!” Leigh B shouted.

 

“About damn time.” Nick sighed.  “Blew my mind he waited this long.”

 

“Are you sure about this?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah I was able to ask him before he left and he said he brought the rings with him.” 

           

            “Two rings?” Brian said confused.

 

            “It’s an Elvaan thing.” Kevin said with a shrug.  “One ring for him and one ring for her

 

“Well why did he bring both now? Knowing him he’d lose one.” Brian said with a laugh.

 

“Because they are getting married as well.” Nalia said and everyone looked at her shocked.  “Did he not tell you how the whole thing works?”

 

“I thought he did.” Kevin said a little irked. 

 

“How what works?” Brian asked.

 

“He gives her both rings a symbol of his love and a symbol of her love, they then spend the night together and the next day complete the bond in a ceremony with just him, Rayne and the Arch Bishop...Kel’Ryn.” Nalia explained.

 

“He never said anything about that.” Kevin said shaking his head.

 

“Well then let’s go to this place.” Brian said standing up as everyone else agreed.

 

“No, we can not.” Nalia said stopping everyone.

 

“Why, we’re his friends we should be there Nal?” Nick said looking at her confused.

 

“But he is doing this by Elvaan ritual which means they share this alone, when they come back and announce it, we can have a celebration with them but that is all.” Nalia told them.  “This is a very private time for an Elvaan couple and we need to respect that.”

 

“Well I’m not going to be able to do any work knowing this.” Howie sighed.  “Let’s go do something.”

 

“Let’s hit the Tavern.” Nick said with a smile.  “Remember last time, D had all the barmaids all over him.”

 

“Really.” Leigh B said raising her eyebrow.

 

“Shut up Nick.” Howie sighed and Nick started laughing.

 

“A break could be good.” Kevin said, even he wanted one after hearing the news.