- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 29

 

The large outdoor auditorium was full to the doors with people.  Some even sitting on the roof tops of their homes and buildings to get a better view.  Everyone was a buzz with what this announcement was about. Was King Alexander going to step down? Was he going to apologize for what happened? The people quietly talked as they waited for the event to begin.

 

Everyone fell silent when the Winnol anthem began to play and they all looked towards the Castle doors.  Avit was the first to come out and many were surprised to see him there.  The General stopped and waited for six guards to come out and then they were followed by AJ.  The room erupted into whispers again as AJ followed Avit up on stage.

 

AJ took his spot in front of everyone and looked around.  He could see them whispering, leaning from side to side and talking to each other.  Taking a deep breath AJ prepared to address his people.

 

“Citizens of Winnol, I have asked you here for two reasons. The first reason is to ask for your forgiveness.”  He said as he looked around.  “When I first came here I was scared and then when people started telling me this was my home I felt alone but you did not care about that, you accepted me.  Accepted me as a Guardian, as your King, and for that I say Thank You.  In return I chose to stay here, to accept this place as my home and you as my people.”

 

“I swore to protect you, to protect this land and what happened a few days ago were tragic and if there was any way I could have prevented it I would have.  I will personally make sure every home and every building that was destroyed will be rebuilt and I will make sure that your trust in me is restored.”

 

AJ was surprised to see the people clap and some cheering at his words, he quickly looked over to Avit, who smiled lightly at him, and nodded for him to continue. He looked back at everyone as the cheering began to calm.

 

“Rexil has taken many things from you and from me as well but I am pleased to announce that the sickness Queen Rayne of Sarila had been effected by is now gone and her memory has been returned to her as well.”  AJ smiled as the people started clapping again.  “With that being said I now have an announcement to make.”

 

“I would like to announce to you personally that four days ago, Queen Rayne and I were married in Pera.” He announced and at first the crowd was shocked, they whispered on whether or not they heard him right.  When they had confirmed with each other they had, they began to cheer.  “We were married in a traditional Elvaan wedding and we now share this news with you.”  AJ looked at Avit who nodded and then motioned for his men to open the Castle door again.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen I now give to you, your new Queen, Queen Rayne.” AJ said and he couldn’t help but show the pride and happiness in his voice. 

 

Everyone stood up peaking their heads around trying to get a look at their new Queen.  Sure they had seen her before, but now she was their Queen.  They waited and wondered would she be wearing a traditional Sarila gown or a traditional Elvaan robe. When she walked through the doors all their questions had been answered.  There was Rayne in a long green and yellow robe.  They were pleased to see her wearing the traditional crown of leaves and her hair adorn in traditional Elvaan beads.

 

The people began to bow as she walked past them, even Nick, Nalia, Kevin and the gang bowed to her as she walked past them, she greeted them with smiles.  When she reached the stairs to the stage Avit took her hand and helped her walk up.  Avit bowed to her when she reached the top of the stairs, and she smiled at him too. 

 

Taking AJ’s hand she stood beside him and they both looked out to the crowd.  Everyone still clapping many of them happy to see this reunion, many of them knowing it was coming but then left in wonder because of Rayne’s state. 

 

            Rayne stood there in front of everyone and waited for the cheers to calm.  “When I was five years old I boarded a ship with my Father and my Mother and we set off to Winnol.  I did not know it but at that moment Winnol was going to be my new home.”

 

“When I stepped off of the ship and I saw Marsa for the very first time, I thought this land to be magical.  The people to me were as tall as the trees and as elegant as the wind.  I came to love this place as my second home and when the time came I defended it like it was my home.  Even though many shunned me because I was a Human Druid, you the people embraced me and accepted me as one of your own.”

 

“I can only hope I can show the same Love and Compassion that Queen Tas showed me and all of you.” Rayne said and the crowed began to clap.

 

AJ took his place beside her again, wrapping his arm around her waist. Avit announced that there would be a celebration in town square and for everyone to join them there.  Slowly the people began to file out, making their way to the center of town.

 

As the last of the people left the auditorium AJ looked down at his friends as they joined them on stage.  Nalia and Rayne hugged and he took a shot in the arm from Nick that made him want freeze him on the spot.

 

“Congratulations you two.” Kevin said as he walked up to the couple.

 

“Thanks man.” AJ smiled.

 

“So we ready to party?” Howie asked

 

“Very” Nick nodded.

 

“We’ll meet you guys there.” AJ said.  “I wanna change, this ceremonial robe is heavy as hell.” He said as he pulled on it.

 

“MmmHmm” Kevin said raising an eyebrow as he headed down the stage stairs.

 

“Bite me.” AJ joked as he walked passed holding Rayne’s hand.  When they reached the Castle doors AJ held it open for her and let her walk in first.

 

“Thank you.” She smiled.

 

“You are welcome you’re Highness.” He smiled back at her and she lightly laugh.

 

“Do you feel better?” She asked as they walked down the hall side by side.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“Apologizing and what you said in your speech.” She said as she took his hand.

 

“Yeah, a little bit.” AJ nodded.

 

“Do not worry they will come around and they all seemed pleased with the announcement.” Rayne told him.

 

 

 

 

“Are you just going to sit there all night?” Nick asked as he sat down next to Kevin.

 

Kevin looked at him and then looked away. “What are you talking about?”

 

“You’ve danced twice and you’ve been sipping on that thing all night.” Nick told him.  “What’s buggin you?”

 

“Nothing just tired.” Kevin shrugged.

 

“Bullshit and I’m not leaving till you tell me.” Nick said planting his feet down.   “It’s AJ isn’t it?”

 

“What? No.” Kevin said as he tilted his mug.

 

“Yes it is, you’re pissed over breakfast, you’re pissed because you haven’t seen him all day and you’re pissed because he’s been with Rayne all night talking to the people and everything.” Nick said.

 

“No, Avit had been released so AJ and Rayne were having breakfast with him, he’s been busy with the announcement and now he’s doing damage control.” Kevin said shaking his head.  “I told you nothings wrong.”

 

“Ugh.” Nick moaned as he laid his head on the table.  “I give up.”

 

“You always do.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Ffff…” Nick started to say as he looked at Kevin.

 

“Hey, you guys having fun?” AJ asked as he walked up with Rayne.

 

“I am, he’s not.” Nick said looking to AJ then to Kevin.

 

“I am too.” Kevin snapped at Nick annoyed.

 

“Yeah” Nick scoffed as he stood up and headed over to Nalia.

 

“I hate that kid, I thought this place made him grow up?” Kevin asked as AJ sat down.  “Where did Rayne go?” He asked.

 

“Went to go see her Mom for something.” AJ said shrugging. 

 

Kevin looked at AJ and then rolled his eyes.  “I said I’m fine, I’m just tired so I’m sitting back and watching everyone else.”

 

“I didn’t say anything; I’m just waiting for Rayne to get back.” AJ said putting up his hands.

 

“Ok.” Kevin said taking a drink from his mug.  “So how was breakfast?” Kevin asked.

 

“Good.” AJ said as he looked over to some people.  “How was yours?”

 

“Fine.” Kevin replied.  “How’s Rayne doing?”

 

“Great.” AJ said nodding.  “Doing great.”

 

“Good, I’m glad.” Kevin said with a light smile.  “So you haven’t been around much, I mean I know you’re busy and stuff but it just kind of feels like you’re ignoring us.”

 

“So Nick was right.” AJ said eyeing him and Kevin just rolled his eyes.  “I don’t mean too dude it’s just, Rayne told me why she brought you guys here and I mean I’m glad you’re here and all it’s just.” AJ stopped, thinking about his words.

 

“It’s just what man?” Kevin asked.

 

“She died, she died to bring you guys here because she thought I needed you and maybe I did a little bit but not enough for her to give up her life for it.”  AJ told him.  “I just want to make sure she knows how much I love her, how much I need her and not you.”

 

“I guess I get it.” Kevin said trying to brush of the last word.

 

“No you don’t.” AJ said and Kevin looked up at him quickly.  “And I hope you never do.  I hope you never have to go through what I went through.  You and Kris are going to have a long life together and you’ll never have to wonder when you kiss her if it will be the last time, if you hug her will it be the last time, and when you say goodbye will it actually be goodbye.”

 

Kevin and AJ sat there in silence.  The oldest band mate didn’t’ know what to say and he felt a little selfish.  Here he was mopping because he wasn’t getting enough time with his friend that he couldn’t see how much his friend was hurting.

 

“Hey” Howie said breaking the silence and they both looked up.  “Nick wants you.”

 

“Me?” Kevin said confused and then it hit him.  “Oh yeah.” Kevin said as he stood up.  AJ watched the two men leave his face fell in confusion but then he shook it off as an arm wrapped over the back of his shoulders, he looked beside him and saw Rayne sitting down.

 

“Hello Beautiful.” He smiled at her.

 

“Hello Gorgeous.” She said as she returned the smile.  “Where did Kevin go?” She asked as she looked around.

 

“No clue Howie came over and said Nick wanted him.” He told her with a shrug.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen can I have your attention?” Avit said as he stood on the small stage in front of everyone.  “Before King Alexander came home, when he lived on Earth, he was apart of a musical group with Sir Kevin, Sir Howie, Sir Brian and Prince Nickolas.  They traveled around Earth sharing their music with others.”

 

“What is going on?” Rayne whispered to AJ as they sat at the table.

 

“I have no idea.” He replied shaking his head.

 

“And now in honor of the marriage between Queen Rayne and King Alexander they are going to share their music with us.” Avit said as Nick, Kevin, Howie, and Brian walked up onto the stage.

 

“What are they doing?” AJ asked himself.  Rayne heard him and looked at him

 

“Can we have the Bride and Groom come to the front of the stage?” Nick asked looking at AJ with a smile.  “We wrote this song in honor of them and bare with us it’s been a while since we have sung together.”  As AJ walked Rayne to the center of the square by the stage, Kevin began to count them down.  AJ took her hand in his and wrapped his free arm around her waist.  His eyes stared at her as Howie began to sing.

 

“Into my eyes she looks,

She reads me like a book.

Understanding my pain,

Never asking me to change.

My heart she has in her hand

She guards like a single grain of sand”

 

            There was no music accompanying the voices but AJ didn’t care, her head rested on his chest, his eyes closed they swayed around in a circle not caring about the people around them.

 

“She loves me, she protects me, she'll never leave me

She wants me, she needs me, she'll never break me

I love her, I want her, I'll never let her go

For she is the one, the one that I need so”

 

All four guys sung the chorus and it surprised AJ how well the guys had nailed it, almost as if he had written the song himself.  He held her hand over his heart, her lips brushed against the back of his hand and he kissed the top of her head.

 

“I’ll take her hand in mine

I'm not letting go this time

She will not walk away

No heartache for me today

Pain will never show its face

I wanna be with you forever in this place”

 

Rayne pulled away and looked up at him as they guys began the chorus again.  Their eyes locked as they danced and she lightly smiled at him.  He mouthed the words “I love you” as he wiped her tears away and she lightly kissed him on his lips.

 

 “Her arms lock me away from the world

The love is like no other with this girl

She will be mine, mine forever now

And I will sit with her on our cloud

Because...

She loves me, she protects me, she'll never leave me

She wants me, she needs me, she'll never break me

I love her, I want her, I'll never let her go

For she is the one, the one that I need so”

 

As the guys stopped singing the crowd broke out into cheers and yells, it was the first time they had heard them sing, the first time they had heard Nick sing and as AJ looked around he could tell they enjoyed it.

 

“That was beautiful.” Rayne said to them as she hugged each of them.

 

“Thanks.” The guys said at the same time.

 

“Yeah guys, that song was tight.” AJ nodded.  “I hope I don’t have to pay royalties.”

 

“I think we can let this one slide just don’t go uploading for everyone to listen too.” Howie said as AJ and him hugged.

 

“King Alexander.” Someone said from behind them and everyone turned around.

 

“Yes my dear?” AJ said when he saw the young Elvaan girl standing in front of them.

 

“Will you be singing tonight?” She asked.

 

“Uh well.” AJ said looking around.

 

“Yeah man, for old times sake, let’s get these people dancing.” Nick said nudging him.

 

“I haven’t sung in like a year guys.” AJ said as they started to drag him to the stage.

 

“You have so.” Rayne said looking at him laughing as she helped. 

 

“Alright, alright.” AJ said as he broke away from everyone.  “What song?”

 

“Let’s have a party?” Nick said quickly.

 

“Dude that song is so old.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Ok then we can do, If you want it to be good girl..” Nick said with a shrug.

 

“Let’s have a party it is.” Kevin replied as he turned from the guys and got into his position.

 

“Have we ever done this song Acapella?” Brian asked as AJ cleared his throat.

 

“We’re about to find out.” Howie said with a smile and Brian started laughing.