- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 32

 

            AJ, Nick and Nalia made their way out of the Gorge and stopped when they came to the rock infested land of Ashmourn.  The mountains were seen clearly now and even the tall steeples of the Castle could be seen jetting out from the rocks.

 

“Look” Nalia said pointing in front of them.  “More dragging marks.”

 

“Then we go this way.” AJ said as he followed the tracks.

 

“If we go this way we can climb up over there maybe find a way in.” Nick said looking around as they walked.  AJ stopped and looked around; he knelt down by the marks and followed them with his eyes.  “Don’t worry dude we’ll find her.” Nick said as he put his hand on AJ’s shoulder only to have it violently ripped away.

 

“Fuck you asshole!” AJ shouted as he stood up.  “It’s your fault she’s gone!”

 

“Dude.” Nick said stunned.

 

“You couldn’t wait could you, had to go now!” AJ shouted at him.  “Maybe if you had chilled the fuck out we would have known what was going to happen to Rayne and been more ready but no Mr. Fucking Warlock has to go all emo!”

 

“Well excuse me for wanting to save Pixca” Nick snapped.  “You know the whole reason we’re here in the first place.”

 

“We all want to find her Nickolas.” Nalia said trying to calm the two.  “And Alex we will find her.”

 

“She can’t fight, she can’t do anything right now and she’s somewhere in there.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“I know, I’m worried too but freaking out on Nick is not going to help.” Nalia replied.

 

“Oh so you think this is my fault too?” Nick snapped at her.

 

“We should have been more prepared.” Nalia said to him sternly.  “Now let us go and find a way inside.” She said as she started walking again.

 

 

 

 

“Rayne?” A voice past through her ears and she mumbled as she began to wake.  “Rayne wake up?”

 

“Alex?” She whispered as her eyes started to open.

 

“No I am sorry I am not him.” The voice said as Rayne started to come too.  She looked at the woman kneeling over her and quickly sat up.

 

“Where am I?” Rayne asked looking around.

 

“Inside Ashmourn.” The woman said.  “They brought you in here.”

 

“Who are you?” She asked.

 

“You know who I am.” The woman said with a light smile.  Rayne looked at the woman, she looked like an Elvaan, her hair long and adorn with jewelry but there was something different about her.

 

“Pixca?” Rayne whispered as she began to realize who was in front of her.

 

“Yes” The woman nodded.  “It has been a long time since a Guardian has been in my presence.”

 

“I need to get you out of here.” Rayne said as she stood up but just as fast she fell to the ground.

 

“Careful Rayne.” Pixca said as she caught the Druid before she hit the ground hard.

 

“What is wrong with me?” Rayne asked looking at her as she laid back against the rock walls.

 

“It is as you thought, the land is fighting for your power and it wants nothing more than to live again, destroyed by the dwarves hundreds of years ago.”

 

“Destroyed?” Rayne said confused.

 

“The Dwarves wanted the mountains for mining; the humans wanted it because they owned everything else in the area.  So the two began to fight, the dwarves were losing until they came upon…” Rayne interrupted her.

 

“So they were behind it” Rayne said more to herself.

 

“Yes, while they were mining for supplies they came across a man who was dead to the world, yes he was alive in every sense of the word but since he lost his beloved Silvnia he died inside.”

 

“What happened?” Rayne asked.

 

“Ignis.”

 

“Ignis?” Rayne said shocked.

 

“Yes” Pixca nodded. “He saw what the Dwarves had done to the land, to his Silvnia.”

 

“Who’s Silvnia?” She asked.

 

“Silvnia was a Druid like you but she was Elvaan and Ignis loved her very much.” Pixca told her.  “But like Druids before her the time had come to find a Dryad.” She explained.  “On this land there is a portal of sorts, a doorway, it leads to evil and darkness, so when the time came the Druids would pick one of their own, one who was very strong and powerful to give their life to this land so this portal would stay closed.  They were known as Dryads, they protected all living things, linked forever to the Land to Pixcadia and she was chosen to take her place among them. Ignis tried to stop her but she knew what she needed to do, to help keep the cycle of life going.  When she died he might as well had died too.  He retreated to the mountains to live alone without her only coming out to watch her tree when ever the sun rose or fell.”

 

“Her tree?” Rayne asked puzzled.

 

“Dryads, they are true guardians of life but they are linked to the land through a great tree so they must stay within the trees aura to survive. But they do not know who they were before just that they live to keep the cycle going.” Pixca told her.  “The Dwarves, to allow for their mining destroyed everything she had died for including killing her and her tree.”

 

“The dwarves took the land.” Rayne said as it started to fall into place.

 

“When Ignis had realized what they had done, that they had destroyed her tree he tricked them into opening the very thing Silvnia was trying to stop.” Pixca said.  “Pure evil poured from the mountains, most of it went to Ignis.

 

“Why did you not just close it?” Rayne asked she was trying to follow but she was so tired.

 

“Balance Rayne as a Druid you know this, the fight between good and evil, the balance between good and evil I can not interfere.  The Druids chose that path until Ignis stopped it.  I tried to help them but yes by then it was too late.”

 

“The Guardians?”

 

“Yes my very first set of Guardians were able to keep Ignis at bay everything was going well, cycle after cycle until Ignis went after Adamai, Rayxes, Genua and Alia.  I went to confront Ignis but the land even cried out for me and Ignis took advantage of it. From what I can tell things are still quiet a mess when it comes to my peoples memories.” She sighed.

 

“Our army is just outside Ashmourn they will come for us” Rayne told her.

 

“Yes, yes they will.” Pixca smiled at her as she took her hand.  A rush went through Rayne’s body and her eyes opened as she gasped. She looked at Pixca confused.  “You need your strength Rayne and I will lend you mine.”

 

 

 

 

 

“You know it’s a good thing Brian didn’t come with us.” Nick said breathless as him and AJ both looked down.  The three had climbed up the west cliff side; they had just stopped a few feet below a walk way leading to one of the pillars.

 

“Do you hear something?” AJ asked Nalia and then reached up and grabbed onto the cliff pulling himself up.  Nalia watched AJ climb up a couple of more steps and then she looked at Nick.

 

“Asshole.” Nick mumbled as he started to climb too. 

 

When AJ reached the walk way he leaned over the edge and reached out for Nalia, helping her up the rest of the way.  Nalia knowing AJ wasn’t going to help Nick went over and helped him up.

 

“Thanks.” Nick said as he eyed AJ.

 

“Let it be.” Nalia told him as he dusted himself off.

 

“Let’s just find Rayne and Pixca and get out of here.”

 

The group walked into the steeple and proceeded down the stone staircase.  They made there way down floor after floor making sure they stayed quiet.  AJ led the way Nalia and Nick following behind him.  Each door they came too they waited and checked to see if there was anything or anyone around.

 

“Whoa” Nick said as he stopped dead dropping to one knee.

 

“What?” Nick and AJ both whispered.

 

“Did you guys feel that?” Nick asked.

 

“No” They both replied shaking their heads.  “What happened?”

 

“I dunno I got this crazy rush of like power or something, it’s gone now whatever it was.” Nick said standing up.  “That was nuts.”

 

A loud bang came from below them and they all looked at each other.  A second later the three of them were running down the steps.  When they came to the next door they stopped and listened.  They heard shouting down the hallway and AJ pulled the door open quickly and ran out into the hallway.

 

“Look” AJ said pointing.  Nick and Nalia followed his glare and saw a door lying in the middle of the floor with a couple of goblins lying under it.

 

“Who did that?” Nick asked.

 

“One of two people.” Nalia said as they walked to the cave that looked like a cell.

 

“Which way do you think they went?” AJ asked.

 

“That way.” Nick said pointing left.

 

“You sure?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah, I can see death.” Nick said looking to Nalia and AJ.

 

“Death?”

 

“What ever it was or is, is dying.” Nick told them.  AJ felt all eyes on him and he turned around and headed down the left hallway as quick as he could.  As they traveled they saw a trail of dead goblins and soon were able to follow them to the center of the castle.  When they got to a large balcony they all knelt down as voices echoed around them.  They heard the screams of goblins and bangs of spells going off.  Slowly they crept to the large stone railing and peaked over.

 

“Rayne.” AJ said as he started to stand up but Nalia and Nick pulled him down.  “What the hell?” He said looking at them.

 

“Look.” Nalia said pointing to their right.  AJ looked and saw a Giant demon yelling at the goblins and Rayne ripped through them one by one.

 

“Is that Pixca with her?” Nick asked in a whisper.

 

“Who else would it be?” Nalia asked.

 

“I tire of you Druid.” The Demon spoke as he began to walk down the staircase.

 

“You will leave this land and return from where you came.” Rayne said as the last Goblin fell to her wraith spell.

 

“This is our land; the one you protect took it from us.” The demon said as he reached the bottom of the stairs.  “And now we will take it back!”  The demon raised his large mace into the air and was about to give it a good swing when AJ jumped up and shot a fire bolt right at him.  The mace fell as the fireball hit the demons hand and he looked up to see who had attacked him.

 

“I guess that’s our cue.” Nick said looking at Nalia.  Nalia reached behind her with a light smile and grabbed her sword and took off running towards the stairs that the demon had just walked down as Nick began summoning his Orc.

 

“Twivil leave now, Vel’era’s on his own.” A Goblin squealed as it started down the hallway but then fell dead in its tracks as Rayne’s wraith spell wrapped around it.

 

“Ha you did me a favor Druid.” Vel’era laughed as the goblin fell.

 

“Return to your land or the door will close and leave you here to die.” Rayne told him as the fought off Nalia and Nick.

 

“So, Pixca has refreshed your memory has she?”  Vel’era scoffed.  “You will close nothing.”  The demon swung his arm and sent both Nalia and Nick crashing into the other room and the door splintering into pieces.

 

An Ice bolt came flying at him and hit him in the chest causing him to step back and tripping over the steps behind him.  He sat there staring with pure anger at the Mage who stood next too the Druid.

 

“Get them out of here.” Rayne said not taking her eyes off of Vel’era.

 

“What?” AJ said looking at her. 

 

“Get Pixca, Nick and Nalia and get them out of here.” She said as she looked at him.  His eyes fell in puzzlement as he looked into her eyes, they were glowing a light blue and a chunk of her hair on either side of her head had gone the same colour blue, tangling around her dark regular locks.

 

“What about you?” He asked.

 

“Aww this is a touching moment, humanoids, no matter the species their hearts are they’re down fall.” The demon laughed as Rayne looked at him.

 

“I’m not leaving without you too.” AJ said too her still staring at her.

 

Her head snapped towards him, her eyes glowing brighter.  “Leave Alexander now!!” She shouted at him her voice deeper than normal echoed and shook the walls of the castle.

 

“Come Alexander.” Pixca said to him as she reached for him.  AJ hesitantly took Pixca by the arm and followed her towards Nick and Nalia.  The demon went to swing at them but Rayne stopped him with a spell, veins wrapping around his arms as they shot out from the ground.

 

“Nick” AJ said shaking his friend.

 

“Not now Kevin just let me sleep.” Nick mumbled.

 

“Come on Nick get up!”  AJ shouted as he gave him a nudge.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick asked as he slowly sat up.  “Did we win?” He asked.

 

“Not yet, now get up.” AJ said as he helped his friend stand.

 

“Pixca?” Nalia said as she too woke up.

 

“Hello” Pixca said with a nod.  “I am afraid Alexander is correct we must leave now.”

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Nalia asked.

 

“She’s out there.” AJ said pointing to the Castle entrance.

 

“Then let’s go help her.” Nick said trying to walk to the door.

 

“We must leave.” Pixca said stopping him.  “We will go when she has him distracted.”

 

“We can not just leave her; we are not leaving her, Alex?” Nalia said looking at him.

           

“No, no we’re not.” AJ said looking away from Pixca.  He walked over to where the doors use to be and saw Vel’era swinging his mace at her.  His arm flew up to send out a spell but it was stopped and his concentration taken by Pixca.

 

“Why are you stopping me!?” AJ yelled at her.  Just then the entire castle started shaking.  He pulled his arm from Pixca’s hand and looked around, the walls were shaking, vibrating, and then they started to fall apart.

 

“The place is gonna go.” Nick said as he looked around too.  AJ looked at the demon and he too was taken back by the sudden earthquake beneath them.

 

“Let’s go now.” AJ said as he motioned for them to start running.  “I’ll get Rayne.”

 

“Alright.” Nalia nodded.

 

“No Alexander.” Pixca protested.

 

“Just go.” AJ said to her and Nalia and Nick with Pixca both started running towards the giant doors to the castle.  AJ was following closely behind until he reached Rayne as she knelt on the ground.  A large piece of ceiling came down and landed right on Vel’era, the demon screamed as it hit him.

 

“Come on beautiful this place is coming down.” AJ said as he grabbed her by the arms.

 

“No” She said grabbing his arms and stopping him.

 

“Rayne, I’m not leaving you here, this place is going to fall in.”  AJ protested.

 

“I need to close the door, I need to give this land it’s life back Alexander, please you need to go.”  She pleaded with him.

 

“What?” AJ whispered.  “What door? What do you mean? Rayne…”

 

“Alex there’s no time; I need to do this I’m the only one who can.” She pleaded with him.

 

“Damn it Rayne I’m not leaving you here to die, why are you making me do this?” AJ shouted at her.

 

“Pixca will explain.” She then ran her fingers down his ear and drifted them around his cheek.  Leaning in she kissed him as her fingers gently pulled on the jewelry in his hair.  She pulled away and looked into his tear soaked eyes.  “Protect Winnol, protect Sarila, protect the people, and I will protect you.”

 

“No…no no.” AJ said shaking his head in disbelief.

 

“Alex please, you must leave now, do not let this be in vain.” Rayne said as her hand slid down to his.

 

“I love you beautiful” AJ whimpered as he quickly kissed the back of her hands.

 

“I love you too gorgeous.” She smiled as strongly as she could.  He kissed her one last time, then stood up and started running towards the doors.

 

“Nooo!!!” Vel’era shouted as he stood up shaking off the daze from the ceiling.  He sent his mace flying at AJ, and AJ started to duck but the mace stopped dead in front of him, then crumbled into dust.  Quickly he looked at Rayne who was standing again and staring at him.  Taking one last look at her he took off out the doors and ran as fast as he could towards Nalia and Nick.

 

“Where is she!?” Nalia shouted.  “Alex where is she?!” She yelled again.

 

A loud rumble broke out around them and it caused everyone to drop to the ground.  Everyone but Pixca watched in horror as the Castle, the entire front half of the mountain caved in on itself.

 

“No” Nalia whispered. “No, Rayne…RAYNE!!” She screamed as she started running towards the pile of rubble.  Two arms reached out and stopped her; she snapped around and saw AJ standing there.  “You just left her there!?” Nalia yelled at him and then shoved him away.  “You said you loved her!” She yelled again and shoved him again.  “And you just left her there!” She cried.  AJ didn’t say anything he stood there letting Nalia shove him, letting his tears fall.  His head turned and he looked at Pixca.

 

“Why?” AJ choked out as he looked at her.  “Why did she have to stay?”

 

“Because she is a Druid and they are the only ones who can close the door to the demon world.” She told them.

 

“I didn’t see no fucking door!” AJ shouted at her.

 

“This place is the door, her death will bring life back to this land, and she will protect it.”  She said as AJ looked back to the rubble.  Nalia dropped to her knees and started crying; Nick slowly bent down and wrapped his arms around her.

 

“Alex” Nick said as he stood Nalia up.  AJ didn’t look at him he just kept staring at the rubble.  “Alex we should go check on the others.”

 

The mention of his friends snapped him out of his daze and he looked at the two and then to Pixca.  He nodded and started to walk towards the Gorge.  Nick looked down at Nalia who was still crying, he wrapped her tighter in his arms and started to walk her along side of him as he followed AJ.  Pixca followed behind and the closer she got to leaving Ashmourn the stronger she felt.

 

“Hey!!!” They heard someone shout and they all looked up.  AJ and Nick almost cracked a smile when they saw Kevin in the distance, then Brian, then Howie, then Kristin and her tiger, Leigh and Leigh B soon followed.

 

“They all made it.” Nick sighed in relief.

 

When everyone met up they all started hugging excited and happy to see each other alive and well.  Well Kevin was a little beat up, Leigh Anne was too, but they probably saw more combat than the others.

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Kevin asked looking around.

 

“Alex?” Leigh Anne asked as everyone looked at him.

 

“Oh” Kristin gasped when AJ didn’t say anything he just stared at Kevin.

 

“What happened?” Kevin asked AJ.  AJ shook his head not ready to deal with it all again. 

 

“Where’s Avit?” He asked forcing his emotions back.

 

“He’s back at camp, he took a nasty sword to the shoulder but he’s going to be ok.” Kevin told him.  AJ nodded and started walking into the Gorge.  Nick motioned for everyone to follow as he held Nalia against him and started walking back to camp.