- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 6

 

Aj pulled back on the Gryphon reins, carefully leaning back as he landed his Gryphon near the cottage.  As he jumped down he looked over and saw Avit landing his bird.  They walked over to the pens and secured their flying mounts and walked to the front of the house.

 

“Evia said Nalia tied him up in the front room.” Avit told him as Aj opened the door.  He looked around and didn’t see anything until he gazed to the dining area and saw the leather straps lying on the ground.  Quickly he walked over and knelt down picking up one of the straps.

 

“He got out.” Aj said as he looked up at Avit.  His General picked up the strap and sniffed the end.

 

“Burnt.” Avit said as he quickly pulled it away.  “His goblin.” Avit sighed.

 

“Did you know too?” Aj asked.

 

“I knew what could happen to a Warlock yes, we all do but I did not know Nickolas was having trouble finding his balance, as far as I knew he was following the meditation.”  Avit told him.

 

“Balance?” Aj asked.

 

“Everyone has a good side and a bad side, a bright side and a dark side, with Warlocks the fight to stay balanced is very hard, for some reason a lot of them tend to shy away, become addicted to the black art, to the death they can steal from people.” Avit explained to him. “People who follow light are a little different; they are not exactly going to…” He stopped and looked at AJ with a unsure glance.  “Get pleasure and peace when someone dies.”

 

“I don’t believe this.” Aj said as he stood up.  “How come they didn’t tell me something was wrong?”

 

“I’m sure Nick did not want you to worry.” Avit said as Aj looked at him.  He then walked out the front door and started looking around into the forest behind the cottage. 

 

“Nick!” Aj shouted as he took some steps towards the forest.

 

“What if he went back to the Palace?” Avit asked.

 

“He’s probably freaked out because Nalia tied him up.” Aj said as he turned and looked at Avit.

 

“I am sure she did it for his safety and hers.” Avit told him.  “We should go back Alex, talk to Master Warlock Prewdis and Bussa and I can set up a proper search party.”

 

AJ took a deep breath and looked around one more time as Avit’s words sunk in.  He knew his General was right but he didn’t want to leave, Nick was out there alone, thinking god knows what.

 

“Fine.” AJ said with a sigh.  “But I’m coming with the search team.”

 

“Of course.” Avit said with relief he had talked AJ into going back.

 

They mounted up and took off back to the Hevi Palace.  Instead of landing at the tower they landed on top of the Palace and handed the giant birds off to a pair of guards.  They walked down the long staircase and it took them a minute to reach the bottom.  When they did Avit opened the door and they walked out into the large foyer on the Palace’s first floor.  AJ looked around when they walked into the Throne room and saw Evia and Master Warlock Prewdis there. They explained to each of them what they found at the cottage.

 

“I’m going to get Bussa and put together a search party now, he’s in the Barrack Quarters?” Avit asked as Evia walked up to them.

 

“Yes” She nodded as he excused himself and left to the Barracks.

 

“King Alexander this is Master Warlock Prewdis.” She said as she introduced them.

 

“How can we fix this?” Aj asked him not saying hello or anything.

 

“Well we need to find Prince Nickolas so we can put him back onto a routine.” He told AJ.  The Warlock talked about the importance of Nick’s Meditation, the importance that he does it everyday, and that when he starts to feel things going bad he needs to take a moment and calm himself.  It all made AJ’s head spin it sounded like the stuff his doctors told him to do, even the meditation. 

 

“Where’s Rayne?” He asked.

 

“She went back to Winnol.” Evia told him.

 

“Why wasn’t I told about what could happen to Nick, what was happening to Nick.” AJ asked her.

 

“Like I told Rayne Alex, we did not know he was having trouble with it, as far as we knew he was following everything and doing fine and as far as not telling you, he asked us not to he did not want you to worry.”  She explained to him and he took a deep breath as he leaned against a tall pillar.

 

“How’s Nalia?” He asked.

 

“She’s still a little shaken up and worried about him but either than that she’s fine.” Evia told him.  “He didn’t have her in the spell to long to do any serious damage.” 

 

“I’m going to go see Rayne, tell Avit to come get me if they are ready to head out and I’m not back yet.

 

“Alright” Evia said with a nod.  AJ said goodbye to the two people and then left the room.  He made his way up the foyer stairs and headed to the Winnol globe room.

 

When he arrived back home he headed directly for his bedroom chambers.  As he opened the door he looked around and scanned it for Rayne but he didn’t see her.  The window curtains were closed, he looked over to the bed as he let the door gently close behind him and noticed the curtains around the bed were closed too.

 

As he walked over to the bed he passed the desk and looked down at the pieces of paper scattered across it.  He picked up the one that had her signature and royal stamp on it.

 

“I hear by declare Jaina Hawlaz my Guardian and the Captain of Sarila.” AJ quietly read.  He stared at the paper; he was shocked she had actually decided on it.  Holding onto the paper he walked over to her side of the bed and pulled back on the curtains.  A light smile came over his face when he saw her lying there, sleeping under the blankets.  Sitting down on the edge of the bed, he placed his hand on the side of her hip and gently shook her.

 

“Rayne” He said as she started to move.  Slowly she rolled over and opened her eyes.

 

“How is Nick?” She asked as she quickly sat up when she realized it was him.

 

“Dunno.” AJ said with a shrug.  “When Avit and I went out there he was gone.”

 

“Gone?” She lightly gasp.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  “Bussa and Avit are getting a search party together now.”

 

“I am so very sorry I never told you, if I had known he was slipping I would have.” Rayne said as she took his hand.

 

“Its ok hun, I’m sorry I snapped at you, I’m starting to think Nick didn’t tell anyone how bad it was getting.”  She lightly smiled as she leaned in and kissed him on the lips.  “Did you want to come?” He asked her.

 

“No I’m going to stay here.” She said remembering back to her sitting on windowsill and what she saw.

 

“Really?” AJ said a little surprised that she said no.

 

“I think I need some more rest.” She said as she looked down at her blankets.

 

“Is something wrong?” AJ asked her as he wrapped his hand on the side of her arm. 

 

“I am still having the dizzy spells and I have had lots of sleep.” She said as she looked at him with worry. 

 

“I’ll get a Priest before I leave to go find Nick.” AJ said as he brushed the back of his fingers gently down her cheek.  “So what’s with this?” He asked as he held out the paper to her.  “We talked about this last night and you screamed at me for bringing it up.”

 

“I need rest so I need someone to run the daily duties.” She said as she looked up at him.  “This morning I saw…” A knock at the door interrupted her.

 

“Hold that thought.” AJ said with a smile as he got up and walked over to the door.  When he opened it he saw Drania standing on the other side.

 

“Hello.” He said with a light smile.

 

“You’re Majesty.” She said with a bow.  “I was hoping Queen Rayne was awake I would like to speak with her.”

 

“Sure.” AJ said as he stepped back to let her in.  He closed the door when she entered and then walked over to the front of the bed.

 

“Elder Drania” Rayne said with a nod. 

 

“How are you feeling?” The Elder asked.

 

“A little better.” Rayne told her.  “Did you need something?”

 

“I was just wondering if there was anything the Druids might be able to do, perhaps we could send you to the Phantasm.”  She said.

 

“The what?” AJ asked as he quickly looked at Rayne.

 

“It is alright Alex.” Rayne said as she lightly smiled at him.  “It is like a dream we can go there and seek advice from the spirits.”

 

“It is not something we do often but when certain situations call for it we will use it as an option.” Elder Drania said as AJ looked at her.

 

“Maybe you should then, if it’s not going to hurt you.” He said to Rayne.

 

“I thank you for the offer Drania but I do feel it is not necessary right now.” Rayne said.

 

“If you feel you need too please come see me.” Drania told her.

 

“Thank you.” Rayne lightly smiled.

 

“Well then I shall take my leave.” She said as she looked at the two of them.  AJ walked over to the door and opened it for her. 

 

“King Alexander?” Drania said as she turned and looked at him.

 

“Yes?” AJ said as he stood at the doorway and she stood out in the hall.

 

“I heard that Prince Nickolas is missing.” She said with a frown.

 

“Oh.” AJ said.  “Wow word travels fast.”

 

“With Druids, yes it does.” Drania said with a light smile and AJ smiled back, knowing she meant they have a tendency to over hear things while they are linked with animals.  “Will Queen Rayne be going?”

 

            “Uh no, she’s still not feeling well enough.” AJ told her.

 

            “Then perhaps I could send a couple of druids with you, might help with the search in the woods.” Drania offered.

 

            “That would be great actually, thanks.” AJ said.

 

“Wonderful, I will tell them to report to Avit.”

 

“Sounds good, thanks again.” AJ said with a nod. She bowed and then walked down the hall.

 

“What did she want?” Rayne asked him as soon as the door was closed.

 

“Huh?” AJ said as he looked back at the door.  “Oh she’s going to send some Druids to help with the search since you’re not going to be there.”

 

“Oh” Rayne said as he sat down beside her again.

 

“I’m going to go and see how things are coming.” AJ said as he took her hand.

 

“Already?” She asked.

 

“I want to get a good amount of time in before it gets dark.” AJ said.  “When night time hits we’re only going to be able to rely on the Elvaans that are there.”

 

“Well maybe I should go to Kalica, I could sit with Nalia.” She said as she started to pull down the blankets.

 

“Rayne, sweetheart.” AJ said stopping her.  “Its fine really, I’d much rather have you rest, when we get Nick back and everything resolved, we’re going to take a little trip.”

 

“A trip?” She asked confused as she laid down and he pulled the covers over her.

 

“Yep and I’m not saying anything more.” AJ said and leaned down, gently kissing her on the forehead.  “I’ll let you know as soon as we get back ok?”

 

“Ok.” She nodded.  He smiled at her, carefully leaned down and kissed her on the lips. 

 

“I love you” He told her.

 

“I love you too.” She answered. 

 

AJ closed the curtain back over and then looked down at the piece of paper in his hand.  He turned around and was going to ask her if she wanted him to hand this in for her, then decided just to go ahead, better do it now, before she changed her mind.  Folding the paper up he tucked it away into his pocket and then left the room, making his way back to Kalica.