- Text Size +

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 7

 

Nick pulled his robe around him tight as he leaned up against the rock wall in the cave he had crawled into.  It was getting dark and as the sun fell so did the temperature.  He wanted to start a fire but he didn’t want it to reveal where he was.  This cave wasn’t a very good place for a fire either, small and cramped but he needed someplace to crash for the night.

 

His body shook and he wasn’t sure if it was because of the cold settling in or because he hadn’t meditated at all and that feeling had been back for a while.  It took everything in him to fight it and now as he relaxed in the cave he found himself getting sleepy.  As he lied on the ground, he opened his eyes and looked out the cave opening, towards Hevi.  He thought about Alex and how pissed he was going to be.  Nick heard him shouting a while ago for him but this was something he needed to do on his own.  His eyes fluttered again but this time they closed.  He lied there on the hard, cold, dirty cave floor sleeping.  Everything dark, everything quite, no pain, no wanting or needing, then a voice in the distance and Nick thought about opening his eyes to see if someone was coming to the cave but for some reason he found himself not being able too.

 

“Nickolas?” The voice said again.  “Do you hear me?”

 

“Who is this?” Nick mumbled weak and tired.

 

“You are not well.” The voice said sadly.  “The darkness it calls to you?”

 

“What?” Nick asked as he felt himself coming too or at least he thought he was, he still couldn’t see anything.

 

“The Warlocks of this world suffer the most from of my absence.” The voice told him.

 

“Who are you?” Nick asked still laying on the ground.

 

“It is good that you can hear me, it means our connection is strong and I haven’t been connected to a Guardian like this in a very long time.” The voice told him.

 

“Pixca?” Nick asked shocked.

 

“Yes Nickolas.” She said and he wondered if she smiled as she answered.

 

“Where are you?” He asked.

 

“I wish I knew, in a cave, somewhere.” She replied.

 

“That helps.” Nick sighed.

 

“You must go back.” She told him.

 

“No” Nick replied quickly.  “I’m not going back there until I pass this.”

 

“You can not do it without me.” She told him.

 

“Well I’m going to have too ain’t I, since you’re not exactly here.” He snapped.  “And why can you talk to me now all of a sudden?” He asked.

 

She sighed and he wondered if he was going to get an answer at all.  “I can feel you, all four of you but you only recently have become noticeable should I say.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Perhaps it is because of the state you are in.” She said to him. He wondered what she looked like, still not being able to see anything.  “I can help you Nickolas but you need to go back and get rest.”

 

“How can you help me, you said you were trapped.”

 

“Use this, the connection we have, seek me out and when you do you will find what you are looking for.” She told him.

 

“What I’m looking for?” He asked wondering what she meant.

 

“Death.” She said and as she spoke the words Nick felt himself become calm and relaxed.

 

 

 

 

 

Aj looked around the woods his eyes picking out the leaves, the bushes, the sticks on the ground and what things looked like in the distance.  Only thing is, it was dark out and everyone had gone back to camp except the Druids and Elvaans.  Aj’s new night vision was one of the few things he still wasn’t getting use too, even though he played it off like it was the coolest thing ever.  Avit had just left his side telling him they will push a little deeper and then make their way back to the cottage, starting again tomorrow so they could get some sleep.  He walked slowly through the forest, glancing down every once in a while, checking where his feet were going to step next.

 

“Fancy meeting you hear.”

 

Aj looked up and saw Nick slowly walking towards him.  He squinted and looked harder making sure what he saw was real.  Nick was holding himself up on a tree, he looked tired and weak.

 

“Over here!” Aj shouted as he walked over to Nick.  “When you get better I’m so fucking kicking your ass.”

 

“Save it or I’ll turn back around.” Nick moaned.

 

“And go where? Besides, you don’t look like you can out run me.” Aj said he reached for Nick.

 

“Please, smoker.” Nick huffed.

 

“Not in a year thank you.” Aj replied quickly.

 

“Only cause you had too.”

 

“Maybe.” Aj shrugged and he saw a small smile break from Nick’s lips.  “Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you tell me it was getting this bad?”

 

“Cause I didn’t want you freaking out, like you are now.” Nick said as Avit and some druids helped him lay down on the stretcher.

 

“I’m freaking out because you’ve been out here in the forest by yourself. I’m freaking out because you didn’t tell me what was going on.”

 

“Is Nali ok?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah she’s fine.” Aj said “Worried about you.”

 

“I just need some sleep.” Nick said as Aj looked up and saw the cottage in the distance.

 

“You need more than sleep, you need to talk to the Warlocks and you need to deal with what ever it is going on with you.” Aj told him.

 

“I said I was fine.”

 

“I don’t think Nalia would say you’re fine, especially after trying to drain her again.” Aj snapped.  He watched his friend got quiet and he sighed as he decided to let it go for now.

 

When they arrived at the cottage they took Nick inside and let the Priest and Warlocks look at him, making sure he was ok.  Aj stayed outside with Avit, he sat on one of the chairs and looked out at the lake.  He started to remember when he was out here a year ago, fighting Ignis and trying to save Nick.  And now he was back here almost doing the same thing.  The front door to the cottage opened and Aj saw a Warlock come out.  He walked right over to him and Avit.

 

“He says he wants to go back to the Palace.” The Warlock told him.

 

“Is he well enough to fly?” Aj asked.

 

“As long as he rides with someone yes, I think getting him back to the Master Warlock would be wise as well.”  The woman nodded.

 

“Alright.” Aj said with a light sigh.  “Avit get the gryphon’s ready.”  Aj said to his General and the man nodded as he headed towards the stables.

 

When they got back to Hevi, Aj walked with the Druids as they took Nick to the medical building.  He noticed Bussa wasn’t with them anymore, figured he had gone back to the Palace to tell Nalia and Evia that Nick was back, safely.

 

Aj waited outside of Nick’s room with Avit as the Priest tended to him.  When there was a commotion down the hall he looked up and saw Bussa coming towards them with the Master Warlock.  He looked past them and saw Nalia and her Mom walking behind them. 

 

“He’s in there.” Aj said as the group reached him.

 

“Can we see him?” Nalia asked.

 

“The Priests haven’t come out yet.” Aj shrugged a little.

 

“I am going inside.” Nalia said as she walked past everyone and into the room.  Aj looked around at everyone as they slowly followed her into the room.

 

Aj stopped by the doors as everyone spread out around Nick’s bed.  Nalia stood at the foot of his bed and Aj noticed she was staring at him as he laid in the bed talking to a Priest.

 

“How is he?” Aj asked as he walked over to the Priest.

 

“I’m fine.” Nick said as Aj looked at him.

 

“He is going to be ok as long as he sticks to the meditation but he needs to rest and relax for a little while.” The man said.

 

“Then I will let him rest we shall discuss getting you back on your schedule tomorrow.” Master Warlock Prewdis said to Nick. Aj sighed to himself when Nick didn’t say anything.  When Prewdis and the Priests had left the room Aj looked back to Nick.

 

“You better follow it this time.” Aj said to him as he sat in a chair.

 

“I said I’m fine.” Nick said as he slid down the bed a little.

 

“Yeah and I thought I was ok too.” Aj said as Nick looked at him confused.  Then he rolled his eyes when he realized what Aj was talking about.

 

“This is not like you, ok.  I can do this, I’m fine.” Nick said as he rolled on his side.  “I just need sleep so if you all don’t mind.”

 

Aj sighed as he shook his head lightly.  He wanted to harp on Nick more but he knew right now it was probably helpless.  He looked around and saw Bussa and Evia leaving the room.  He looked at Nalia and saw her still staring at Nick.  Thinking it might be better to let Nalia get it into his head, he decided to leave too.

 

“Well I’m going to go.” Aj said standing up.  “I should go back to Winnol check on Rayne anyways.”

 

“She’s here, in Hevi.” Nalia said as she finally looked away from Nick.

 

“Here?” Aj said a little confused.

 

“Yes, she showed up sometime after dinner, wondering if we had heard from you.” Nalia said.  “She still does not look well, is she sleeping?”

 

“Yeah she’s sleeping.” Aj said with a nod.  “I don’t get it, the Priest said she needed rest it was just exhaustion but she doesn’t look like she’s getting better, and I know she doesn’t feel like it either.

 

“How do you know that?” Nick asked.

 

“She told me.” Aj said as he looked at him.  “She even signed Jaina’s declaration for Captain. She said she needs someone to watch things while she rests more.  I know her; she was hell bent on waiting until she was ready, then she just turns around and signs it.”

 

“What do you think it is then?” Nalia asked

 

“I’m not sure; I don’t even think she knows.” Aj said with a sigh.  “Anyways I’ll go check on her now, is she in the Palace?”

 

“Yes, she was in the Palace garden with us when Bussa came and got us.” Nalia told him.  “I believe she is still there, she did not come with us.”

 

“Alright.” He nodded.  “You.” He said pointing to Nick. “Get some sleep, we’ll talk more tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah fine.” Nick said.  Aj looked at Nalia who just looked away from him with a frown.

 

Aj walked out of the room and down the hallway.  He walked out of the building and headed down the street that took him straight to the Palace.  The people would smile and nod at him, the Elvaans would bow and even some of the Human’s did as well. 

 

“Alex?” A voice said from behind him and he turned around noticing there was no King in front of his name.  He smiled when he saw Halian, Rayne’s Mom walking up to him.

 

“Hi.” He said as she stopped in front of him.

 

“How is Nick?” She asked.

 

“Resting but they said he’ll be ok when he gets back on track.” Aj told her.

 

“Good, I am glad to hear it.” She said with a light smile.

 

“I was just going to go see Rayne; Nalia said she was in the Garden.” Aj said as he pointed back to the Palace.

 

“Yes she came here after she woke up.” Halian said as they started walking and he could tell there was something more to it in her voice.

 

“Is she ok?” Aj asked.

 

“I wish I knew.” Halian sighed.  “She woke up in panic looking for you, wondering where you were. I brought her here and Evia told her you were still out looking.” Halian said as she stopped walking.  Aj stopped a few steps ahead of her and turned around. “After that she got very quite again and has been in the garden this whole time.”

 

“You’re worried.” Aj said reading the signs on her face.  She looked at him for a moment.

 

“Yes, I am.” She frowned.  “I feel what is going on with her is more than just exhaustion but she will not tell me a thing, only that she is tired.”  Aj and her started walking again towards the Palace both quite. He wondered if she was quite for the same reason he was, thinking about Rayne.

 

“Follow that hall the gate is near the end.” Halian said reminding him.

 

“Thanks” Aj said with a light smile.  “I’ll let you know if I find out anything.”

 

“Thank you.” She said with a light nod.  He watched her walk through the foyer and up the stairs.  Turning around he made his way down the hall, watching the gate doors that lead out to the Garden.

 

When he arrived he saw her right away sitting by the small pond, her legs curled under her, her long dress covering her small feet.  He walked up to her and saw that she was crying.  Aj didn’t say anything as he sat down beside her, she looked up quickly at him, and he could tell she was shocked to see him.  Her eyes were red and soaked with tears.  He reached up and wiped the tear falling down her cheek.  When he did she started crying harder and he pulled her into his arms.

 

“Rayne, sweetheart, what is going on?” He asked her after a moment.  She didn’t say anything still softly crying as she held onto him tightly. “Rayne please tell me what is making you so upset.”

 

Slowly she pulled away and looked into his eyes.  He watched as they darted around a little and then she looked away.  Placing his finger tips on her chin he turned her face to look at him.

 

“I..” She stopped and Aj raised his eyebrows a little.  “I do not know what is wrong.” She whispered.  “I am tired even after I sleep for hours, my head constantly hurts, and..” She stopped speaking and Aj looked at her waiting for her to finish.

 

“And?”

 

“And I keep seeing you with her.” She said quickly almost snapping.

 

“Her?” Aj asked confused. “Me, with whom?”

 

“Drania” Rayne said as she looked at him.  “I saw you and her down at the Tree Falls, you were..” She sighed and wiped her eyes.  “You were talking to her like you talk to me, you were touching her like you touch me and I got mad and started yelling out the window at you but you just ignored me. So I went down there, when I got there you and her were gone.” She stopped and took another breath.  “You were up in your Meeting room with Avit.”

 

“Rayne” Aj said not really sure what to say.  “I would never, I mean I know I have in the past, but that was..”

 

“The past I know Alex.” She said as she tried to fight back her tears.  “But I keep seeing you with her, in my dreams, when I am awake.”

 

“When you’re awake?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” She nodded.  “Like at the Tree Falls and today when I woke up from my nap, I went to go see if you were back and that is when I saw you two together again.”

 

“But I was..”

 

“Looking for Nick I know and at the Tree Falls you had been with Avit in your Meeting room” She said as she looked at him and it was then he saw how scared she was.  He pulled her into his arms and held her tight as she cried.

 

“I wanted to tell you sooner but I did not want you to think I was accusing you.” She said as he felt her hands slid up her back.

 

“It’s ok dalin’ we’ll figure out what’s going on, I promise.” Aj said as he brushed his hand down the back of her head but he had a feeling who it was and when he was done here, he was going to put an end to it.