- Text Size +

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                              Chapter One

 

            AJ sat at the large round table in the Kalica Castle.  Avit dragged him here because his General said he needed to be there to discuss what to do about Rossi and the Dwarves.  The people were angry Rossi did not lend a hand and just as AJ blamed Pixca for the death of Rayne her people and those who loved her turn their blame onto the Dwarf King. 

 

He sat in his chair looking down at the silver band around his finger, metal leaves and vines wrapping their way around his ring finger, the words Solidarity and Unity etched across the front. His thumb strummed across it as everyone else talked around him.  Then someone nudged him and he quickly looked up.  They were all staring at him, Avit, Nalia, Evia, Bussa, Nick, Kevin, Brian, Howie, the girls.

 

“What?” He asked looking around.

 

“You weren’t paying attention at all were you?” Nick asked.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “Nope sorry,” He sighed as he adjusted in his seat.

 

“It’s only been a week, cut him some slack man.” Kevin spoke up.

 

“But this is important.” Nick said as he looked at Kevin.  “He’s King of two countries now.”

 

“Yeah, Thanks to you and your precious Pixca, douche bag.” AJ mumbled but it echoed around the room.

 

“Alex” Avit and Kevin sighed at the same time.

 

“She chose to do what she did.” Nick told him as calmly as he could.

 

“Yeah, she really had a choice in the matter.” AJ replied just as calmly turning the emotion of the room into the unknown.  “Are we done here?”

 

“No” Nick said a little loudly.

 

“Go Alex, I will fill you in.” Avit told him as he nodded to the door.  AJ got up and left the room letting the door slam on the way out.

 

“You’re like his freakin parent.” Nick sighed. “He needs to seriously get with it.” Nick said pointing at Avit.

 

“No, Prince Nickolas I think you do.” Avit spoke up and everyone in the room stared at him in shock.  “I would hope for the sake of Lady Nalia you would react the same way had something happen to her.  I understand you are upset with Rossi, we all are, but I do think what your friend is going through deserves a little more respect.”  Nick said nothing as he sat back in his chair staring at the table.

 

AJ walked down through the front foyer and headed up the tall staircase to the second floor of the Kalica Castle.  When he got to the top of the stairs he heard the Castle door fly open and he turned around.  A guard came flying into the building and started asking the people if he was here.  They pointed him to the stairs and he saw AJ right away.

 

“King Alexander you need to come with me.” The Man said in a rushed tone.

 

“Why?” AJ asked still standing at the top of the stairs.

 

The man looked around the room, everyone staring at him.  “I can not say here.”

 

AJ sighed and walked back down the stairs and followed the guard outside.  They walked straight through the city and outside the town walls.  He was getting confused on what exactly the man wanted him for but before he could ask the man spoke up.

 

“I didn’t want to say anything in front of the people.” The guard told him.

 

“Where are you taking me?” AJ asked the man as he stopped walking.

 

“We were out on patrol and we saw…” He stopped.  “Well you should see for yourself Sir.” The man said pointing down the dirt road to group of soldiers.  AJ followed the road a couple of more yards and then stopped dead in his tracks when the other guards moved out of his way.

 

“We found her walking the road; we weren’t sure if it was a trick or not, when we approached her she collapsed.  We thought it best to get you first, the Priest with us said she is just exhausted.”

 

AJ slowly walked up to them and knelt down beside the woman lying on a blanket on the ground.  His hand shook as he reached for her, his fingers lightly touching her hand, making sure she was real.  They stopped at the two rings on her finger still locked in place.  He took her hand and when he felt her skin against his it took everything he had not to break down right there.

 

“Go get a carriage it’ll get her through the City without to many people seeing her, I’ll stay here.” AJ told them quickly, all the men nodded and then he looked at the Priest.  “I need you to go to Winnol to the Healing Springs and tell them to get a room ready, tell them as little as you possibly can.”

 

“Yes you’re Majesty.” The man said standing and then bowed as he left.  He knew he could have teleported with her but he didn’t know what was wrong with her or how this was even possible and he just didn’t want to take the chance.

 

When the men were gone out of his view he looked back down at her, she looked peaceful, beautiful, and not like she just crawled out from under boulders and rocks.  His fingers drifted down her face there was not a scratch on her, just some dirt and he wondered if she actually walked here from Ashmourn.  Her hair was back to normal, the blue strips gone, and he looked at the robe she wore that day, not a rip or a loose thread, just dirt around the bottom.  With no one to impress, he broke out into tears.  He lightly touched her dress, her hair, her arms, her shoulders, making sure everything was real and it wasn’t some dream.

 

“Rayne?” He whispered still in disbelief.

 

He had composed himself by the time the guards had returned and he picked her up carefully and carried her into the carriage. Laying her down on the bench AJ sat on the floor of the carriage, his hand holding hers as he just stared at her.  When they arrived at the front steps of the Castle the door opened and he picked her up and carried into the building.  He ran past everyone and up the stairs, he turned left and ran down the hall as fast as he could to the Winnol globe room. 

 

He crossed over with her in his arms and relieved to see the door was open.  AJ ran down the stairs and the guards quickly opened the door for him and even he could see the looks on their faces as they stared at the woman in his arms.  When he arrived at the Healing Springs the Priest came to him right away and then stopped dead when they saw who he was carrying.

 

“What room?” AJ asked as the men stared back at him.  “What room!!” AJ shouted at them.  They quickly pointed to the room across from them and AJ marched in and delicately slipped her into the stone tub of water.  He dunked her under and then pulled her up resting her head on the head rest.  AJ pulled his arms out of the water and rested them on the ledge; he stared at her as he sat down on the ground, his eyes not breaking from her.

 

“Come out,” He said his eyes still not breaking from her.  “I know you’re here watching, show yourself.”  When he heard footsteps on the stone floor he looked up and saw Pixca on the other side of the tub.  AJ stood up his eyes showed nothing but anger.

 

“This some kind of sick joke?” He asked pointing to Rayne.

 

“No” She told him shaking her head.  “No it is gratitude.”

 

“Gratitude?” AJ asked.  “So you just bring her back just like that because you want to say Thank you? What about other people who have lost loved ones? The ones who sacrificed for your mistakes.”

 

“She is needed as much as her other form is needed.” Pixca told him.

 

“Other form?” AJ said confused.  “You mean the Dryad.”

 

“Yes” Pixca nodded.  “She is both.”

 

“Both?”

 

“This is a new world it is not the one the Dryads use to guard, Evil has seeped its way into the people and into the creatures, and I need someone who can protect both.” She told him

 

“Ah, you need her.” AJ nodded with a sarcastic laugh.

 

“And you needed her as well.  I did not realize how linked you two were, the bond between you two was very strong, and when she died, it died too and slowly it started taking you.” She explained.  “You said you would protect her did you not?”

 

AJ looked at her and realized she had heard him that day.  “Yes”

 

“And you very well can not do it if she needs to stay around the tree now can you.” She said with a light smile.

 

“No” He replied looking back at her.

 

“Maybe not in the old world but this new one, now that the door is closed again, she will need someone, more than one to watch over her, and that will be the new order of my Guardians, their new place.” Pixca told him.  “She is no longer just a Dryad, she is a gate keeper, the Keeper of Hope, for as long as the door stays closed Alexander there is always hope but let Evil in and hope will become lost.”

 

“She remembers everything and when she wakes she will know why she’s here again.” She told him.  “The less people who know who she really is the better.”

 

“I guess she could have gotten out.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“I must go now” She said with a small nod.

 

AJ looked at Rayne.  “Thank…” He stopped when he looked back and she wasn’t there. “You” He sighed as he stared at the empty space in front of him.

 

“Where…” He heard Rayne whisper behind him and he spun around.  She slowly sat up in the water as he walked over to the tub. “Where am I?” She asked.

 

“You’re at the Springs.” AJ said as she looked around.

 

Rayne looked down at her hands in the water slowly pulling them out and watching the water drip from them.  “The Springs.” She spoke quietly.

 

“Yes beautiful, in Winnol.” He said as she looked at him.  Just then he heard a commotion out side and knew the news had hit the meeting room in Kalica.  “I’ll be right back, just stay in there a little more ok?”

 

“Ok” She nodded lightly.

 

AJ got up and walked over to the door where he saw the Priests getting bombarded by questions.  He walked through the doorway and Avit was the first to see him as he stopped at the opening. 

 

“Sir is it true?” He asked as everyone began to see AJ standing there.

 

“Alex?” Nalia said as she stepped up to him.  “The people said they saw you bring her here.”

 

“Before I left Kalica a guard came and got me, took me to the forest outside of the city, they saw her walking down the path and then she collapsed from exhaustion.” AJ told them.  “I sent them back for a carriage and got her through the city and brought her right here.”

 

“I want to see her.” Nalia said as she started to head to the door.

 

“Not yet.” AJ told her, gently grabbing her arm and she looked at him stunned. “She’s still a little foggy on what happened, she will remember she just needs a little time, and I need a little time.” AJ said as Nalia took a step back. “With her.”

 

“Alright.” Nalia nodded with a light smile. “I will go and get Halian.”

 

“If you want to wait around I don’t care but I’ll fill you all in on what’s going on when I get her back to the Castle.” He told them.  Everyone nodded at him and he turned around walking back into the room.  When he entered he saw her sitting on the edge her feet dangling in the water and her eyes looking down watching them.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said as he walked up to her.  She looked up at him, her eyes drifted down his arm to his hand and she reached up at took it.  Slowly he sat down beside her, facing her with his legs crossed. Her eyes did not break from their hands as she watched their fingers tangle together.  He watched as her eyes closed and she leaned against him, her head resting on his chest, and she held his hand tightly against her.  AJ wrapped his arm around her holding her head against his chest as his head rested on top of hers.  He closed his eyes and sighed, this was defiantly real.