- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 23

           

            AJ sat stretched out on the couch in their room in Winnol.  The search parties were out searching, the patrols were out looking all over Kalica but he lied here waiting for one reason.  Rayne.  As he laid back, his arms tucked behind his head and he stared at the bathroom door his mind drifted back to moments ago.

 

            He stared at Eva as she looked out the window, the window where her daughter was taken.  He watched as the rage rushed through her and her head slowly turned to Rayne.  She stood in his arms, shaking and still lightly crying but when Eva looked at her he felt his wife’s body stiffen.

 

“How could you be so selfish?” Eva gritted through her teeth.

 

“Eva, she didn’t think…”

 

Nalia’s Mother interrupted him.  “That is the point Alexander she did not think.”

 

“I am so sorry Eva” Rayne whimpered as her voice cracked.

 

“Sorry?  Sorry that you put my daughter’s life at risk just to save your hide!” Eva shouted at Rayne. “You think because of what Pixca did to you that you are special? That your life means more than my Nalia’s?” Eva yelled.

 

“That is enough Eva” AJ said sternly but the damage was done.  Rayne broke from his embrace and bolted out of the room.  “I know you are upset Eva but you have no right to say that to her.”

 

“You will not tell me how to feel!” Eva snapped.  “Now get out of my sight!”

 

AJ left and was told by the guard at the Winnol globe that Rayne had gone through.  He decided to check their room before heading to the park to see where she was.  When he opened the door he found his wife sitting on the floor crying.  He walked over to her and knelt down as she turned to him.  She looked at him with guilt and sadness before falling into his arms crying. 

 

After he had held her for a while, when her cries had subsided, and she seemed to be calmer he pulled her away.  Her eyes were puffy, red and wet.  Leaning forward he gently kissed her on the forehead.  “Go have a hot bath and I will get the bed ready.”

 

“I want to look…” But he interrupted her.

 

“Go have a hot bath and I will get the bed ready, you are too upset to be doing anything right now.” He told her as he wiped her tears away.

 

Now he lied here waiting for her to get out, he was starting to wonder if he should go in and get her but then the door opened and she walked out.  Her robe was wrapped tightly around her; her hair was damp and hung straight down.  He stood up and walked over to her; he slid his arm behind her and walked her over to the couch.  Sitting them down he brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear.

 

“Eva is hurt and scared; she didn’t mean what she said.” He told her.

 

“Why not it is the truth.” Rayne whispered.  “How could I be so stupid?”

 

“What made you think to say it anyways?” He asked.

 

“Marsa” Rayne said with a sigh.  “Just before he left he made a comment.”

 

“What did he say?” AJ asked.

 

“He told me Tas said that just because she has passed…she still wants…” She paused still a little embarrassed.  “She said she still wants grandchildren.”

 

“Oh” AJ replied not expecting that.

 

“And when I was with Nick it just sort of popped into my head, I panicked and blurted it out.” She told him.  “Alex if something happens to her…” Her eyes closed.  “I will never forgive myself.”

 

“You said Nick was still fighting right?” He said to her as she looked at him and lightly nodded.  “Ok so maybe that part of Nick will protect her knowing we will be coming for her, if he does think she is pregnant he would not let anything happened to her, Demon or no Demon.”

 

“I hope you are right.” She whispered and it made him frown.

 

Maybe she needed to get her mind off of it.  “So can I ask what you and Marsa talked about?”

 

At first he didn’t think she was going to say anything but then she spoke.  “I asked him about Dyn.”

 

“And?” He asked waiting.

 

“He said Dyn was himself, that he is who he says he is.” Rayne said and AJ felt some anger flow through him.  He had thought the man who claimed to be his brother was nothing more than a ploy, a demon, or something Rossi or Loki had conjured up.  Now he knew otherwise.  “He said Pixca did bring him back.”

 

“Shocking she lied again.” AJ said with bitterness. 

 

“She wanted us to be distracted by him and stop prying into who she was.” Rayne told him and he fumed even more.

 

“Wonderful” AJ sighed irritated by more lies.  “Well he did help get Nick back…”

 

She interrupted him. “I do not want him here.” AJ looked at her a little shocked.  “That was Pixca, she sent me to get him when I went after Nick because when I look at him all I see is what he tried to do to me…” She stopped and he watched the pain etch across her eyes.  “He is responsible for what he did, he is the reason your Father is dead put him in jail I do not care but I do not want to see him anymore.”

 

“Alright, I will talk to Avit later today.” AJ said with a nod, he was concerned over how frightened she sounded.  “So…” AJ said getting her mind of the subject.  “Grandbabies huh?”

 

“Pardon? Oh, yes” She replied with a light nod.

 

“I guess we really haven’t talked about it at all.” AJ said as she stood up.  “Where are you going?” He asked as he watched her walk behind the couch.  He spun around to get a better view. 

 

“Going to get dress.” She replied as she walked over to her tall dresser.

 

“Rayne you should really stay here, you need to relax and…”

 

She interrupted him.  “I need to find Nalia.”

 

“They are out looking for her.” AJ told her as he stood up and walked over to her.

 

“They are not me; they can not see what the trees see or what the birds see.” She said as she took off her robe and slipped her dress on.  He knew there was no way he was going to talk her out of it, the guilt was far out weighing anything he could do to make her change her mind.  So he let her get dressed and he let her leave the room.  Following quietly beside her they left the Castle in Winnol and took the globe to Hevi.  They made their way through the Palace luckily not running into Eva at all.  When they walked outside of the Palace AJ looked at his wife.

 

“Where are we starting?” AJ asked.

 

“We will go outside of the city and walk behind the Palace, Nalia’s window faces north, and there must be something there that saw which way they left.” She told him as she looked at him.

 

“Okay” He replied with a light nod and he notice she stared at him for a moment and then lightly smiled.  He smiled back and took her hand as they stepped down the stone stairs in front of the Palace doors.  AJ knew there was no stopping her so instead of fighting he followed and made sure she was ok.

 

They walked along the stone wall and followed the path to the back of the Palace.  When they reached a spot near the north end of the wall Rayne stopped and he watched as she placed her hand gently against the tree.  A second later she looked up into the branches and stared.  A moment later she looked down and turned her head to him.

 

“We are close to Nalia’s window.” She said as he walked over to her.

 

“Do you know which way he went?”

 

“They say west towards the coast.” She replied and she started walking in that direction.

 

“Rayne you’re not thinking of walking around…”

 

She interrupted him.  “They will show me the way”

 

“Rayne” AJ sighed.  “Rayne” He said again as he chased after her.

 

“Why are you trying to stop me now?” She asked as he gently grabbed her by the arms.

 

“Do you even know what we are going to do when we get there?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She replied with certainty.  “Get Nalia back.”

 

“How, against who? Rossi’s army? Nick, the way Nick is now?” He asked in almost a pleading tone.  “We can’t do this on our own, Guardians or not, we need help Rayne?”

 

“This is my fault I need to fix this.” Rayne said and he saw the sadness in her eyes.

 

“I know you feel that way Beautiful but we can’t jump into this, we need to understand more about Loki, we need to know more about if we can save Nick. Let Eva track them down, our Gryphon’s are out there too.”  He told her

 

“She will not tell me if they found anything, she hates me right now.” Rayne sighed.

 

“Give her time to cool down.”

 

“And what about Loki the only one who knew him was Pixca, how can we get answers about him?” She asked and he was about the reply until he saw the look on her face.

 

“What?” He asked confused.

 

“Marsa…” She paused.  “I asked him what we were to do now, how do we fight the Drak’nor if we know nothing about them, about the world we use to have.”

 

“And what did he say?”

 

“He said that to get our answers about the Drak’nor we would have to go to Loki himself, but to find the answers of the world, just ask it and it will tell me.” She replied. “He made it seem like there was more out there.”

 

“More?”

 

“More land, more trees, more places we have never seen before because of Pixca.” She told him.

 

“Like she kept you all in a bubble.” He replied understanding.  “But what could be out there?”

 

“Perhaps there are buildings that were forgotten and not yet destroyed. Answers and clues to our past our real past.” She said and he saw a little bit of hope in her eyes.  “But we need to get Nalia back what if Loki does something to her too?”

 

He looked at her, the hope he saw only a second ago was gone and he took a deep breath.  “We will need to get some things first, if we’re going to be out all night.”

 

“Okay” She agreed with a light nod and then she slipped her arms around him, pulling herself against him.  “Ready.” She said looking up at him.

 

With a light smile he teleported them away back to Winnol where they could get supplies.  They both dispersed around the room when they arrived and began collecting their belongings and packing them away in a bag they each had.

 

“I should go down to my office and pull out the maps of Kalica I have.” AJ told her as he walked over to the door.  When he opened it he stopped dead.

 

“Hi” He said as Kevin, his friends and their wives stare back at him.

 

“We hear Nalia’s missing, Nick took her.”

 

“Yeah” AJ said as he quickly looked back at Rayne.

 

“Are you going with the search parties?” Leigh-Anne asked.

 

“No” AJ replied.  “We are going on our own.”

 

“Why?” Kevin asked as he looked at AJ and then to Rayne as she walked up to them.

 

“Eva blames me for what happened; she will not let me near the Palace right now.” Rayne told them.  “And I do agree with her it is my fault…”

 

“Rayne” AJ sighed but then thought twice about getting into it with her with his friends here.

“Alex and I are going to look on our own; the search parties would only hold us up.” She told them.

 

“Well then we’re coming too.” Kevin said as Howie nodded.

 

“Look we really appreciate the help but…”

 

Kevin interrupted him. “No buts, Nalia is our friend and we want to help.”

 

“Kevin” AJ sighed.

 

“That’s Sir Kevin, remember that.” Kevin replied with a crooked smile.

 

“You did say we should not go on our own.” Rayne spoke up and AJ looked at her a little shocked but she did have a point.

 

“Alright go get the things you will need, we’ll be camping out tonight.” AJ told them.

 

“Okay we’ll meet ya right here.” Kevin told them as everyone started to head to their rooms.

 

“Are you sure?” AJ asked as he looked at Rayne.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “I would much rather bring them with us then some guards and such, besides they know Nick just as well as you do.”

 

AJ and Rayne finished gathering their supplies and then headed out into the hall.  The others still weren’t around so they set down their bags and waited.  When they had waited a few moments AJ turned to her.

 

“I’m going to see if they’re ready.” He told her.

 

“Alright” She replied with a light smile. 

 

Giving her a quick kiss he walked over to Kevin’s door and knocked.  When Kevin shouted for him to come in he opened the door and proceeded into the room.  Kristin was closing up a bag and Kevin was standing waiting holding her quiver of Arrows. 

 

“Ready?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah we’re good.” Kevin nodded as his wife walked over to them.  “So what’s this about Eva being mad at Rayne?”

 

“Long story dude.” AJ sighed. “I’ll have time to explain it later.”

 

“If we see you later.” Kristin mumbled.

 

“Huh?” AJ replied confused.

 

“Kris” Kevin sighed and AJ’s eyes darted between the two.

 

“What do you mean, if?” He asked as he looked at his friends.

 

“Well I mean it’s not like you’ve spent much time with us since we’ve been here.” Kevin said as he looked from his wife to AJ.

 

“I’ve been busy.” AJ replied.  “I told you when you got here, I have this life now…”

 

“I know man but besides from a few dinners here and there all we get from you is a Hi.” Kevin said as AJ started getting annoyed.

 

AJ was about to reply when a shout from the hallway interrupted him.  “Do not touch me!”

 

“Rayne” AJ said quickly when he recognized the voice and bolted into the hallway.  He heard Kevin and Kristin follow him and when he stopped dead, the two friends almost slammed into him as he stared at Dyn.  His Brother hadn’t notice he had come out yet because he was being berated by Rayne.

 

“Because of reasons beyond my control I was friendly too you once but now I am telling you Dyn Breezewalker, you will keep your hands off me, you will not look at me, you will not acknowledge me as anything but Queen.  You are not my friend, you are not my family, you are the man who tried to hurt me in the worse possible way, and you are the man that killed King Marsa as far as I am concerned Dyn your Brother has shown you too much compassion.” 

 

“After everything I have done for you?” Dyn said in a calm tone.

 

“Done for me? What have you done for me Dyn? Beside give me nightmares and cause me to flinch even when my husband touches me.”

 

Dyn’s finger went up into Rayne’s face and AJ had seen enough and dashed over to his brother.  “You were a loner when you came to this city…” Dyn’s voice was cut off as AJ grabbed his robe and slammed him into the wall.

 

“Rayne’s right” AJ gritted through his teeth.  “I have been far to compassionate towards you.” He hissed and he read the look on Dyn’s face.  “What Brother, looks like you have something you want to say? Wanna call me an imposter? Tell me you are the real King?” AJ shouted.

 

“Sir?” Avit’s voice said beside him and he turned to look at his General.  When he did Dyn sent out a frost bolt into his stomach and AJ dropped to the ground.  He heard people struggling around him and then he heard shouting.

 

“Damn it where did he go!?” He heard Avit shout as he started to recover from the cheap shot.

 

“Alex are you ok?” Kevin said as he looked up at his friend.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine” AJ said as he leaned on Kevin to help him up.  He looked around the hallway and saw his friends all standing there looking at him, even the ones who were still getting ready were now there staring.  He looked at them confused, their faces showed worry and sadness and then he realized there was one face not looking at him.  “Where’s Rayne?” AJ asked knowing now what the commotion was.

 

“He teleported with her.” Kevin said as AJ’s heart sank.

 

“No” AJ sighed.  “Avit he could be anywhere.”

 

“I know” Avit replied with a solemn frown.