- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 27

           

            AJ popped up behind two of his spies and he made sure to stay low.  He wasn’t too worried about people on the ship hearing but they could still see him.  The two spies slowly turned to him and nodded.  It was still pretty early in the morning, the sun was starting to come up and he had been up almost all night preparing. 

 

“We are just waiting for the signal from Bussa.” He told them and they nodded again. “When I call my elemental remember to give them a couple of seconds, they may search the parameter of the ship before attacking it.”

 

“Yes Sir” They nodded.

 

He took a deep breath and waited.  Last night they place the odds that Nalia would be in Nick’s room.  They then took the risk and had a thief, who just happened to be Leigh-Anne onto the ship to watch the doors and the patrols.  Nick’s room was the first down the stairs so that is where AJ was heading.  When AJ heard the squawk of a bird he looked up.  The sea hawks were up again flying around the ship.

 

“They must be there to get the breakfast scraps.” AJ said as he noticed the two spies looking at them.

 

The one man nodded.  “They were there last night for dinner, we saw stuff being thrown from the ship, they picked up what they wanted and left.”

 

“So if everyone has eaten that should mean everyone will be starting their daily chores soon.” AJ said as the spies nodded.

 

A sound of something squawking took AJ’s attention away and he looked over to the main land.  He saw the signal and looked back to his spies.  He gave them a nod and they moved forward, quietly moving into the water.  Closing his eyes he concentrated, focusing on the spell he was conjuring.  He heard the waves of the water, a roaring sound as the elemental came to be.  He heard the shouting of the men on the boat and as he opened his eyes he saw the giant elemental standing at the opening of the cove. 

 

“Grab it” He thought and the elemental reached into the cove and pulled the ship from its hiding spot.  AJ stood up as the men on the ship started attacking the elemental with spells.  His Spies were already waiting for him near the back of the ship.  Quickly AJ slipped into the water and swam over to the back of the ship.  With the help of his spies they climbed to the large window at the back of the boat.  Carefully sitting on the edge of the ship he lightly tapped on the window.  His spies knew what to do if Nick opened the window but they also knew what to do if it was Nalia. They waited a minute or so and then heard the jostling as someone began to open the window.  AJ and his spies sat poised and ready and AJ held his breath.

 

The window opened and AJ exhaled.  “Nali” He said as the wind blew her hair.

 

“Alex?” She replied and she smiled.  “What is going on?”

 

“I have them distracted with my Elemental.” He told her as he looked inside the room seemed empty.  “Can you climb out?”

 

“With your help I should be able too.” She replied with a nod.

 

“Alright step up…” But as he spoke the window slammed closed almost knocking AJ and the spies off the little lip they sat on.  They heard a yell and some commotion from inside.

 

“Change of plans.” AJ said quickly as he pushed on the window and it opened.  Quickly he climbed inside.  Trying to not fall off the window ledge and making sure he could see inside the room AJ was the first one in.

 

“I knew that was you.” Nick said as AJ looked up and saw him holding Nalia. Then a puzzled look came across his face.  He moved them back to the door and opened it.  “Rossi, keep an eye out for the Druid!” AJ looked at him a little puzzled.  If Rayne wasn’t here, who was seen flying with him?

 

“Alex?” Nalia said and AJ looked at her.

 

“We’ll get you out Nalia” AJ told her but he just saw her smile and then she brought her elbow around smacking Nick in the face.  He let go and as she did she took off right at AJ.

 

“Just needed to hear where you were.” She said quickly as they both stood at guard and stared at Nick.

 

AJ knew he had to act quickly before Nick recovered; he threw out his arm and slammed him with a frost bolt and then an Ice Trap. “Go Nali.” He said as he quickly pushed her towards the spies.  “Go go” AJ said as he motioned them to get out the window.  “Jump Nal.” AJ shouted when she got to the window and she did just that.  His two spies dove in after her.

 

“I’m done playing.” Nick said as his jaw clenched. “To bad Rayne’s not here to see you die.”  His friend jumped at him and the two went crashing to the ground.  AJ followed the momentum and rolled over coming out on top.  Quickly he let loose his freeze trap spell and jumped up leaving Nick stuck to the ground.

 

“There now try too…” Something hit him in the back of the head and he dropped to the ground.  Something grabbed him by his robe and pulled him back up.

 

“Hello, Brother.” Dyn said as he looked at AJ.

 

“Wha…the…” His head was spinning and throbbing but as he stood there staring at his Brother he wondered.  “Where is Rayne?” He asked the pain in his head disappearing as the rage rushed through him.

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Nick said as he popped his head around from behind Dyn.  “See your Brother and I have come to a conclusion.” Nick said as he walked around AJ.  He tried to twist and break away but Dyn’s grip was to strong. A lot stronger than it use to be. He looked at Nick as he walked around his left side.  “We both want you dead.”

 

AJ jerked but Dyn’s gripped didn’t break.  His Brother laughed at him and he wanted to punch him in the face even harder.  “Where is she?” He shouted as he tried to jump at Dyn. His Brother just laughed at him, it infuriated him but it also led his mind to a revelation. “Screw this.” He said and then teleported away, even though Dyn would come with him. They appeared exactly where AJ wanted them too, on the shore in front of the cottage.

 

Knowing Dyn would be caught off guard AJ slammed his elbow into his gut.  His Brother bent over with a grunt and AJ turned around.  Bringing his knee up AJ slammed it into Dyn’s face.  His Brother leaned back and then AJ let a fire bolt burst from his finger tips. It erupted against Dyn’s chest and he stumbled back, tripping on his feet.  Quickly he patted at his chest putting the flames out.

 

“Alex!” He heard Kevin shout and he quickly looked behind him.  While distracted Dyn tackled AJ and they both went crashing into the water.  Disoriented under the water he couldn’t react fast enough and Dyn got the upper hand.  His Brother held him down and AJ struggled against him.  He looked up and saw a blurry image of his brother but then he saw a blurry image of Kevin tackle Dyn.  His Brother let go immediately and AJ quickly broke the surface.  He stood up and walked over to Dyn and pulled him away from Kevin.  Grabbing him by the collar AJ slammed him down onto the ground.

 

“Where is she!!” He yelled at him as he quickly picked him up and slammed him down again.  “Where the fuck is she!”

 

“I do not know” Dyn replied but that wasn’t the answer AJ wanted to hear so he brought his arm back and punched Dyn in the face. His Brother grunted as his head bounced off the sand.

 

“Alex!” He heard Kevin shout again and as he looked up a bright light surrounded him and then a purple mist exploded around him. He looked behind him and saw Nick flying at them on his shadow bird.  His eyes darted to Kevin and he realized his friend had blocked a spell with his bubble.  AJ was flipped onto his back and in a flash he was staring up at Dyn.

 

Quickly AJ conjured a wind spell and sent Dyn flying back into the water.  When AJ stood up he looked around for Nick and saw him fighting with Kevin.  Raising his arm his fingers sparkled with flakes of snow and he sent out a frost bolt at Nick. It hit him hard enough that it turned him a little and Kevin was able to pin him down.

 

“Alex” Avit said as he came running up to him.  Bussa and Lawrence wrapped Nick up and gagged his mouth.  “We have in coming.” Avit told him as he nodded towards the boat.

 

“Get him to Kalica.” AJ said to Bussa and his second in command, they both nodded.

 

“Sir what do you want done with him?” Jaina asked as she walked up with Dyn.

 

“Get him to Kalica too, he knows where Rayne is.” AJ said looking at her.

 

“I told you I do not know where that harlot is.” Dyn hissed.

 

“Denied you again did she?” AJ asked and Dyn spit at him.

 

“How did he get here?” Avit asked.

 

“Nick, he was the one they saw on the bird with him.” AJ told him.  “Now I’m worried.”

 

“Well we still have them to worry about.” Avit said as he looked at the incoming Dwarves.

 

AJ turned around and began to conjure a spell.  His fingers were covered in wisps of air and then with a push of his arms a gust of wind blew towards the in coming enemy.

 

“Jaina!!” He heard Avit shout and it distracted AJ.  He turned and saw Avit running towards Jaina who was on the ground.  Dyn had broken free and when AJ didn’t see him close by he knew his Brother had teleported away.  Quickly he ran over to them and stopped beside Avit a couple of feet away from her.

 

“The Priests are coming darling hang on.” Lawrence said as he held Jaina’s hand.  AJ looked at Avit and his heart broke for his friend.

 

“What happened?” AJ asked and Lawrence looked up at him.

 

“Dyn had a dagger on him.” Lawrence said. 

 

A Priest and Brian came running up to them and began to heal her wound.  AJ turned to Avit and frowned.  “She’ll be ok Avit” AJ whispered.  His General turned and began walking towards Kevin.  He then turned to the Priest tending to Jaina.  “Does she need the Springs? I can take her there.”

 

“Yes that would be best” The Priest said.

 

AJ knelt down beside her. “Ready?” He asked and she nodded.

 

In a flash they were gone and inside the Winnol Springs.  AJ shouted for a Priest and one came right away.  They took Jaina in a room and slipped her into the tub.  He waited until they had her completely settled in and the left for the cottage again.  When he arrived everyone was in a flurry of fighting.  What were left of the Dwarves were coming in from the ship had made it to shore and were now fighting with everyone.  He was to busy distracted with what was going on in front of him that he didn’t see the shadow bolt coming at him from behind.  It struck its mark mid back and he dropped to the ground with a grunt.

 

AJ scrambled around and saw Nick standing there staring at him.  He tried to get up but Nick sent another bolt at him.  It flipped him around and he slammed hard into the ground.  The air in his longs disappeared and lied motionless for a second.  Catching his breath he started to climb to his feet when he heard a snarl and a loud howling growl.  He looked up and saw Paq come to a dead stop in front of him.  She turned at Nick and planted her paws into the sand. 

 

Quickly AJ looked around to see if he could see Rayne but she wasn’t anywhere in view.  Then something strange happened, a bear came out of the woods and roared as he shook his head.  He slowly walked towards Nick and then stood on its hind legs and roared again.  The birds that hung out around the cove squawked and AJ looked as they turned and headed towards the battle on the shore line. He looked back at Nick and his friend was taken back by the scene even more than he was. More wolves came out, more birds flew in, and a couple of panther looking creatures entered the scene. 

 

“Druid!!” Nick yelled and AJ looked at him.  “Show yourself”

 

AJ slowly got up keeping an eye on Nick while still trying to look to see where Rayne was.  The bear roared and Nick spun and looked at it.  The birds that had joined them began to dive at him and soon they had him on his knees as he swatted at them. 

 

Then the loud ear piercing squawk was heard and even the animals retracted.  AJ watched as he covered his ears, the birds scattered and the shadow bird came flying in.  Nick jumped on it and took off flying towards the ship.  The sound disappeared and he could think again.  He looked behind him and saw that most of the Dwarves had scattered.  Others were being rounded up.  Turning back around AJ looked at Paq as she walked over to the bear, the other animals began to gather too. 

 

“Alex what is going on?” Avit asked as he walked up to him.

 

“Is it Rayne?” Kevin asked.

 

“I don’t know” AJ replied with a shrug and he looked around again. “I don’t see her anywhere”

 

Then with a puff of smoke the birds, the wolves, the panthers, and the bear turned into Elvaans.  Elvaans that he had never seen before and the one that was the bear walked towards him as Paq followed closely. The man stopped in front of him and knelt down as did the others.

 

“King Alexander it is a great honor to finally meet you.” The man said.

 

“Who are you?” AJ asked his eyes darted around again for Rayne.

 

“My name is Kimiri and I am one of the last Aurona Elvaans.” He told him.

 

“Aurona?” AJ replied confused.

 

“Yes, this is Aurona.” The man said as he gently waved his arms around.  AJ followed his arms and then realized the man was talking about Pixcadia.  “We sought shelter underground when the Drak’nor attacked; we have been there ever since, watching and waiting.”

 

“So what you are telling me is that you are the Original Elvaans?” AJ asked

 

The man nodded.  “And we are Druids, Pixca did not understand everything about us.”

 

“So the animal thing that’s?” AJ said still a little confused.

 

“We transform it is one of the stages of being a Druid.” He told him.  “It is how we survived this long, hunting and gathering in our animal forms.”  AJ looked down when Paq walked behind him. 

 

“You wouldn’t happen to know where Queen Rayne is would you?” He asked as he looked back at the old Elvaan man.

 

“I am right here.” He heard Rayne say and he spun around.  There she was standing right behind him but the looks on Kevin and Avit’s face told him a lot more.

 

“How…” He looked around and saw no Paq, he then looked at the Elvaans, and like a lock fitting into place everything clicked. His head snapped back to her and he stared at her with some shock on his face.  “Paq was you?”

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “They taught me how.” She replied as she lightly nodded towards the Elvaans.

 

“But Dyn?” AJ replied.

 

“Dyn took me to west Kalica, a ways north of here.” She told him. “We faught and then Nick showed up, Dyn attacked him when he tried to attack me.” She stopped and AJ wondered what was with the expression on her face.  “I took off while they were fighting and passed out after I could not run anymore, they took me in.”

 

“That’s where you were?” AJ replied and she nodded.

 

“When they told me who they were and what they could do, I just had to stay and know more, I am sorry if you worried but I needed to ask questions.” She told him.

 

“Milady!” Lawrence yelled and both her and AJ looked at him.  “You are alright.” He said relieved as he walked up to them.

 

“Yes Lawrence I am” She replied with a light smile and a nod.

 

“How is Jaina?” Avit asked looking at AJ.

 

“She’s resting, the Priest said a couple of hours and she will be as good as new.” AJ told him.

 

“What happened to Jaina?” Rayne replied confused.

 

“We had Dyn captured…”

 

She interrupted her husband.  “Dyn?!” She some what shouted.  “What do you mean Dyn?”

 

“Nick showed up with him last night” AJ told her.  “When I realize it was him that’s when I started to really worry about you because he was here and I still didn’t know where you were.” He told her. The look on her face was confusing.

 

“What about Nalia?” She asked.

 

“She’s in the cottage.” AJ told her with a nod.

 

Quickly Rayne spun around and started running towards the cottage.  AJ looked back at the Elvaan’s.  “Well you might as well come with us then.” He said as he nodded towards where everyone else was.

 

When he walked into the cottage he saw Rayne on her knee’s in front of Nalia, she was crying and begging for Nalia’s forgiveness.

 

“I am so sorry Nalia, I-I was not thinking and like I said it just blurted out of me.” Rayne cried.

 

“Rayne, it is ok” Nalia said as she looked up at AJ a little confused.

 

“When your Mom learned about what happened she freaked out on Rayne.” AJ told her.

 

“She had every right too.” Rayne replied.

 

“Rayne you know how Mother gets” She said as her friend looked up at her.

 

“No she was right it was such a stupid selfish thing to do.” Rayne said.

 

“It is working.” Nalia told her.  “I was able to talk to Nickolas last night for a moment.”

 

“Really?” AJ replied as he got a little excited.  “What did he say?”

 

“He said that you were the one that could help him.” Nalia said as she looke at him.

 

“Me?” AJ replied confused and a little shocked.

 

Nalia nodded.  “He said you could see what you could see I have no idea.” She sighed.

 

“Sir” Avit said as he walked into the cottage.  AJ turned and looked at him.  “The ship has set sail, I have Gryphon’s ready to ride and follow, I suggest we get back to Kalica.”

 

“Is everyone ready to go?” AJ asked and Avit nodded.

 

“Alright then.” He then knelt down to Rayne.  “Are you ready to go?” He asked, she didn’t reply but she nodded.

 

“What do we do next?” Nalia asked as they walked out of the cottage.

 

“We go to Kalica, we rest up, we regroup and then we figure out how to help Nick.” AJ told her.

 

“What about them Sir?” Avit said as he nodded to the new Elvaans.

 

“They will stay with us.” Rayne replied.  “Have rooms prepared for them in the Palace.”

 

“Are you sure you can trust them Beautiful?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes” Rayne replied.  “I would not have stayed if we could not.” AJ lightly smiled and walked with her over to these people.  It wasn’t that he didn’t trust her but he still didn’t trust them, so the sooner he got to know them and feel them out the better.