- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 28

           

            AJ walked down the hall with Avit beside him.  They had both come from a meeting with Evia.  The halls to the Palace were pretty quiet but there were more guards standing about than usual.  He couldn’t wait to get to his room and close his eyes but first he needed to get Rayne.

 

“Where is her Majesty?” Avit asked.

 

“She went to Winnol to check on Jaina and then she was going to Drisel to see her Mom.” AJ told him.  “I’m going to meet her there.”  They both stopped outside of the Winnol Globe room and AJ couldn’t help himself.  “Are you going to go see Jaina?”

 

Avit looked at him, his face showed annoyance and then it went blank. “If you need me too.” He replied and the annoyance came back for a moment.

 

AJ thought about it.  “Sure, go check on her and report back to me.”

 

It took everything in AJ not to crack a smile as Avit stared at him.  “Very well.” He replied and turned to the doors.  When the doors closed he snickered to himself.

 

“Rayne’s gonna be so pissed.” He sighed and shook his head.

 

Then a smile broke from his lips.  He thought about his wife, safe at home, and soon sleeping in his arms for the rest of the night.  With almost an extra step he made his way to the Drisel Palace globe. He entered the room, closing the door behind him and walked over to the globe which was already on.

 

Placing his hand on it, the globe began to glow and engulf him.  The next thing he knew he was in the Globe room in Drisel. Taking his hand off he walked towards the doors and walked out of the room.  He made his way down the hall and connected with the other hallway before going down the stairs towards the meeting room.  He was about to knock on the door when someone interrupted him.

 

“She’s not in there.” The voice said and he turned around and saw Rayne’s Mom standing behind him.

 

“Oh?” He replied a little confused.

 

“After she left here she went out back, she has been out there ever since, I figured I would just wait until you came.” Halian said “Did Dyn do something too her?”

 

“I don’t think so.” AJ replied a little worried.  “I’ll go talk to her.”

 

Halian lightly smiled and AJ headed past the Meeting room and followed the hallway to the large back door.  Pushing on the door it opened and he walked out to the large field that surrounded the back of the Drisel Palace. Trees scattered the bright green grass and red, purple, and yellow flowers popped up all over the place. He walked out a ways as his eyes darted around the area.  Even though it was dark his eyes didn’t falter but he still couldn’t see her.  Then he heard something in the distance.  He walked in its direction and the closer he got the more he realized it was Rayne crying.

 

“Rayne?” AJ spoke loudly but made sure not to yell. She stopped crying and he kept looking around for her.

 

“I am up here” She finally spoke and AJ looked up. 

 

“What are you doing up there Beautiful?”

 

“Thinking” She said as she wiped her eyes and then took a deep breath.

 

“You want to come down and talk?” He asked and she sighed as she looked up at the sky.  “You are going to make me climb that tree aren’t you?”  She still didn’t say anything.  AJ reached up to the first branch within reach and began trying to climb the tree.  His foot slipped the first time and the second time. The third time he got his leg up to a branch but then he got stuck.

 

“I can not believe you can not climb a tree.” Rayne sighed.

 

“I can.” AJ grunted.  “Just apparently not this one.” He replied as he got himself unstuck. “Please come down and talk to me.”

 

She rolled her eyes a little and sighed but he smiled when she began to climb down the tree.  He held back on the comments about the view and waited patiently for her to come down.  When she got to the bottom she jumped down the rest of the way and turned to look at him.  Still wearing the dress she was wearing when Dyn took her. Her hair messy and dirty, he barely noticed because of the look in her eyes.

 

“What did he do?” AJ asked trying not to blow up at that moment.

 

“Nothing” She replied and before he could ask then why was she crying.  Her face winced up in pain, the tears began to fall, and she answered.  “It is what he did not do.”

 

“What?” AJ replied confused.

 

“He just did not understand that I do not love him anymore.  He was still convinced I am with you because I could not be with him.” She told him and then she wiped her eyes.  “I tried to walk away but he turned me around.  I started attacking him and I had him pinned down with my vines and I just kept casting my moon spell at him.”

 

“You had every right to kick his ass.” AJ replied and it got a small smile out of her but then she lightly shook her head.

 

“Nick showed up.” Rayne replied. “He got his Drain spell on me again but Dyn attacked him.” She told him and then she paused.

 

“What happened?” He asked as he took her hand noticing the look on her face.

 

“Nickolas gave me a choice, stay and fight and try to save the both of us…” She paused again.  “Or…or run and leave Dyn to die.”

 

“You ran” He replied.  “Rayne you did the right thing.”

 

She took a deep breath and started to look around.  “Nalia, Dyn and I use to play back here all the time.” She stopped talking and looked behind to her left.  “One time I was hiding in a tree.” She turned back at looked at him.  “Dyn thought he would be smart and teleport to my spot but he landed to close to me and knocked me out of the tree.”

 

“Did you get hurt?” He asked

 

She nodded.  “I broke my arm.” She said pointing to a spot above her wrist.  “He was crying more than I was.”

 

“How old were you then?” He asked.

 

“Nalia and I were nine Dyn was eleven.” She replied. “I said goodbye to that Dyn when he went to Pomic, I said goodbye to that Dyn when I sat next to Marsa at Nati, Tsa, and his funeral.” 

 

“I understand the friendship that is there and I get that you still care abo…” She cut him off.

“No I do not!” She snapped.

 

“Rayne” AJ replied with a light frown.

 

“What is so hard to understand when I say I do not care about him, I feel nothing for him, I wanted him dead!” She yelled as the tears started flowing again, she started to shake, and AJ couldn’t really remember when he had seen her this upset before.  “I wanted him dead, I left him there to die and he is still alive!”

 

Quickly he took her into his arms and held her tightly against him.  It was at that moment he realized they were not tears of sadness but tears of anger and frustration.  He hushed her quietly and told her it was ok. When she had calmed a little he slowly pulled her away.

 

“Come on lets get back to the Palace.” He said “Where were you staying?” He asked.

 

“With the Elvaans, they have caves and tunnels all under the ground.” She told him.

 

“I am sure you want to get into a nice comfy bed.” He said with a light smile as he brushed her hair from her face.

 

“And a hot bath.” She replied with a sigh, as she sniffed and wiped her eyes.  “I am a little hungry as well.”

 

“Then I will get the cook to make you something.” He replied as they started to walk back to the Palace.

 

“Where is Avit?” She asked as he reached for the door.

 

He paused before opening it. “Uh…He went to go see Jaina.”

 

“Oh” She replied.

 

“So did you know she was seeing Lawrence?” He asked as he closed the door.

 

Rayne turned and looked at him.  “Yes”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me” He replied with a frown.

 

“Because I know how you are when it comes to those two.” Rayne replied as she started walking down the hall.

 

“Well you could have said something, then I would not have looked like an ass.” AJ said and Rayne stopped dead in her tracks.  She slowly turned on her heels and looked at him.

 

“What did you say?” She asked calmly.

 

“He was just looking kind of sad and I just wanted to give him a little boost of confidence.” He told her.

 

“What did you say?” She asked again.

 

He tilted his head a little.  “I told him that even though I didn’t know Nati I would know she would want him to be happy.”

 

“Alex” Rayne sighed. 

 

“But he loves her so much Rayne.”

 

“I know he does Alex but he has his reasons and we must respect that.” Rayne told him as she walked up to him.

 

“Well it won’t last, she doesn’t love Lawrence.” AJ replied with a sigh.

 

“Are you pouting?” Rayne asked with a small laugh.  He looked at her defensive but he had to admit defeat.  “Come, you need the bed more than I do it seems.” She said as she reached for his hand. He took it but didn’t stop talking.

 

“He is my friend, he is more than a friend to me and I just want to see him happy.” He said as they walked up the stairs together.

 

“I know Alexander but you can not push them or you could do more harm than good.” She told him as they reached the top of the stairs.

 

He didn’t say anything more as they walked down the halls and made their way to the Globe room.  Even when they crossed over to Hevi he still said nothing.  He knew she was right but he knew how Avit felt about Jaina and he just wanted to see him happy. 

 

“So” He said taking a deep breath. “Did you talk to Nalia about what you told Nick?”

 

“Yes” She replied with a nod. 

 

“What did she say?” He asked.

 

“I guess when she was on the ship Nick had said something to her.  She was not sure why he was thinking she was pregnant but she went with it because it got a reaction out of him.”

 

“So she’s not mad?” AJ replied

 

“No” Rayne said as she lightly shook her head. “But Evia still is.”

 

“She will come around especially now that Nalia is home and safe.” AJ told her and then they both stopped at the door to their room.  “I will go get a servant and have them bring you up something to eat.”

 

“Alright” She replied with a nod.

 

“Go have that bath.”  He said and leaned in and gently kissed her.

 

“Will you join me?” She asked and he smirked at her.

 

“Well I would never turn down a ladies offer.” AJ replied.

 

She giggled and kissed him again.  He waited for her to walk into the room and then he left to go find a servant. He walked down their hallway and turned into another hallway.  His eyes jotted around looking and he saw one at the end of the hall. 

 

“Excuse me?” AJ said as he approached her but then something happened he wasn’t expecting.  The woman wasn’t a woman at all she was Nick. 

 

Nick put his hand over his mouth and held him against the wall.  AJ tried to fight free but his friend had already started to drain him.  His body got weak and he grunted as he fought again to break free.  A small sadistic smile broke from his lips and then he finally spoke.

 

“Let’s show Rayne who you really are.” Nick said and AJ looked at him confused and then everything went blank.

 

When his eyes opened again he was lying in a bed, his head hurt and he grabbed his forehead as he sat up. He moaned as the throbbing worsened, probably all the alcohol he had to drink and the eight lines of coke he did but something felt very strange to him.  Pulling his hand down he looked at his fingers, they looked longer than usual.  Then something caught his eye, he looked down and saw long dark hair hanging over his shoulders.

 

“What the…” He paused as he reached for it and then pulled on it.  “Owe fuck.” It hurt, it was attached it was his hair? 

 

Quickly he got up out of the bed and then hit the floor, the bedding tripping up his legs.  But then he looked down and saw it wasn’t the bedding at all. He saw the green, silver with a hint of blue clothing.  It looked like a robe and he looked at it very confused.

 

“What the hell am I wearing?” He asked himself and then got to his feet.  Looking around the room his eyes scanned for a mirror.  When he saw one on the other side of the bed he walked over to it and then stood in front of it.

 

“AHHHH!!” He screamed as he looked back at himself.  “WHAT THE FUCK, HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK!!” He repeated over and over as he just started touching all over his body making sure what he was seeing was real.  He looked away as the door opened and saw a woman coming in.  Then he saw Kevin, Brian and Howie walk in.

 

“What the fuck is going on?” AJ asked as he walked past the woman to his friends.  They looked at him confused.  “Hello!” He yelled.  “Fucking answer me.”

 

“Wha-What do you mean?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“This!” He snapped as he pointed to himself and then walked back over to the mirror. “I’m as tall as you.” He said as he turned back and looked at Kevin. “And..and I have long hair…and..” He paused as he pulled back his hair and saw his ears.  “Holy shit.” He gasped as he sat down on the floor.  “What the fuck did I take?”

 

“Take?” Kevin asked and AJ looked at him. 

 

“I’m tripping out right?” He asked as he got to his feet.  “I must have took some bad E or something dude, I might need to go to the hospital.”

 

“Alex” Kevin replied with a solemn face.  “You don’t remember where you are?”

 

“Where I am, I don’t give a fuck where I am dude, look at me!” He snapped. “Where’s my Mom, I want my Mom.”

 

“What year is it AJ?” Howie asked.

 

“Two Thousand.” AJ replied.  “Please tell me I at least got that right.”  But by the looks on their faces he didn’t.  “What the fuck is going on?”  To his surprise no one answered instead they all looked at the woman who came in with them.  He looked at her even though he didn’t have a clue who she was expecting her to answer but she just looked at him with tears in her eyes.  He then looked back to his friends frustrated.  “What the hell is going on?” AJ asked again.

 

“Sit down man.” Kevin replied as he walked over to the couch.  “You’re going to wanna sit down.”