- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 34

           

            AJ walked down the street as he made his way towards the Springs.  Some of the people gave him quick glances and he wondered if they were in the Tavern when he was or perhaps they heard the stories that were now being told about the last couple of days.  He sighed to himself as he looked up at the bright morning sky.  The air was warm for how early it was and he wondered if this meant summer was coming.  Even though they didn’t get snow in Winnol the months before had been rather cold. 

 

            “Good morning you’re Highness.” Someone spoke and he looked to the voice.

 

“Lawrence” AJ replied seeing Bussa’s second in command standing in front of him.  “How is Jaina doing?”

 

“Very well Sir, I am just heading to inform Queen Rayne that she will be able to return to Drisel today.”

 

“My wife is still sleeping; if you want I can tell her.” AJ told him.

 

“That would be fine, thank you King Alexander.” Lawrence replied with a light nod.  “I will see you at the meeting then.”

 

“See you there” AJ replied as Lawrence began to walk towards the Castle. He didn’t really like Lawrence, there was something about him.  If Rayne were here she would say it was because of Avit and Jaina and he knew she was probably right.  His mind drifted back to when he woke up and how he must have laid in bed for an hour before he actually got up.  He did nothing but watched her sleep and thought about how amazing she was the night before.  And he wasn’t talking about the sex part. It also reminded him that no one and nothing can make him feel as good as she makes him feel.

 

When he heard people laughing he looked up and realized he was in the Springs.  Kevin, Howie and Brian stood outside Nick’s cave talking.  They were so engrossed in the conversation they didn’t see him walk up too them.

 

“Hey guys” AJ said and the three turned around.

 

“Hey man, how’s the head?” Kevin asked.

 

“Good” He replied with a nod.  “Everything seems back in place.”

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Howie asked looking around.

 

“Still sleeping” AJ replied. “How’s Nick?”

 

“He’s good just waiting for the Priest to finish the morning check up.” Brian told him.

 

“Well I’m going to go check on Jaina first and then I’ll come see him.” He told them and then headed into Jaina’s cave.

 

When he walked into the room he saw her sitting on the edge staring into the pool of water.  “Jaina?” He spoke and her head snapped up.

 

“King Alexander.” She replied and he heard some shock to her voice.  “What are you doing here?”

 

“I figured I would come check on you, Rayne is still sleeping.” He told her.

 

“How is she doing?” She asked with concern.

 

“Much better” He replied.

 

“That is good to hear.” She said as she looked back down into the water.

 

“I hear you are getting out.” He said and she looked back up at him.  “I saw Lawrence on my way here.”

 

“Yes and I am eager to get back to my duties.” She replied.

 

“Well we are eager to have you back.” He replied with a light smile.  “Have you seen Avit this morning?”

 

“No” She said and her body language perked the curiosity in him.  “I have only seen him once since I have been here.”

 

“Really?” AJ replied and he couldn’t help but let the shock in his voice out.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “You told him to come and check on me for Queen Rayne.”

 

“Oh” AJ replied and her body language made him regret the curiosity.

 

“I am grateful for your concern King Alexander but Avit has made his decision and trust me I have tried to change his mind.” She told him. “He loves your sister and does not want to let go…”

 

“That’s not healthy.” AJ replied quickly and then realized he should have bit his tongue.

 

Jaina smiled.  “I have told him that as well but that is the way he chooses to live life.” AJ stayed quiet and the room fell silent. 

 

“Jaina?” Lawrence said from the doorway as he walked in but stopped dead when he saw AJ standing there. “King Alexander”

 

“Lawrence good to see you again” AJ replied trying to stay diplomatic.  “Well I should go check on Nick now, glad you are doing better Jaina.”

 

“Thank you” She replied with a light smile and nod. He walked out of the cave a little depressed, he had hoped he could work some kind of magic and make Jaina see the light but now he realized it wasn’t Jaina that needed the magic. 

 

“There he is” Kevin said and AJ looked up.  “Nick wants to see you.” AJ walked past his friends and into the cave.  When he walked in he saw Nalia and Nick talking, Nick still lying in the tub and Nalia sitting beside him.

 

“Well you’re looking better.” AJ said and Nick looked up and Nalia shifted her body around.

 

“I am going to go get something to eat.” Nalia said as she stood up.

 

“Good, you should go get some sleep too.” Nick said as she started walking towards the door.  AJ smiled and lightly laughed as he watched Nalia wave Nick’s comment off.

 

“So how ya doin’?” AJ asked as he sat down beside his friend.

 

“Better than yesterday.” He replied.

 

AJ sighed.  “Yeah I hear ya.”

 

“How’s Rayne doing? I hope she’s not to mad at you.” Nick said. “I can talk to her if you want, tell her…”

 

“Its fine Nick, she’s fine.” AJ replied.  “She’s not mad.”

 

“Really?” His friend said a little shocked.

 

AJ smiled. “She knows how I was; she knows what I went through, hell thanks to you and Ignis or Ti’Hort, whatever the hell his name is she saw some of it.”

 

“So things are ok between the two of you?” Nick asked.

 

“Never better” AJ replied as a quick memory of last night flashed through his mind.

 

“Awesome than we’re even.” Nick replied.

 

“Even?” AJ said confused.

 

“Yeah, putting up with drunken dick headed AJ is enough payment for lying about Nalia being pregnant.” Nick told him.

 

“You’re an ass.” AJ sighed. “Besides she was backed into a corner and you know that.”

 

“Yeah” Nick replied the tone in his voice was disbelief. “I can’t believe I did all those things.”

 

“You know better, it wasn’t you.” AJ told him.

 

“Why me, seriously first Ignis, now Loki, what makes me so damn special.”

 

“Rayne says it’s your Power.” AJ told him and Nick looked at him shocked.

 

“You remember when you found Dyn with Rayne?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah what was up with that?” He asked.

 

AJ sighed “Dyn took off with her after she chewed his ass out for being him.”

 

“He’s not right.” Nick replied.

 

“Yeah, well after you gave her the choice and she took off…”

 

Nick interrupted him.  “She told you about that huh?”

 

“Yeah, and she’s pissed at you.” AJ replied quickly.

 

“Cause of what I made her do?” He asked.

 

“No because you didn’t do it.” AJ told him and Nick looked at him shocked. “She ran until she passed out, she woke up in a cave and she met an Elvaan.”

 

“Who?” Nick replied confused.

 

“His name is Kimiri I haven’t seen him much, him and the others seem to stay to their rooms.” AJ told him.  “They are the last of the people who lived here before the Drak’nor came.”

 

“There are still some of them alive?” Nick replied even more confused.

 

“All Elvaans live longer than most people, we live longer than the humans and dwarfs here, the Elvaans from Aurona live longer, Pixca probably didn’t know exactly how long they lived.” AJ told him. “He told Rayne that Warlocks are a magic profession that Pixca created but because of your Guardian Powers you are becoming stronger.  Like Rayne and I have, like Nalia has.”

 

“I’m still blown away it was all a lie, I wonder how Nali and Rayne feel.” Nick said.  “Growing up with this legend, with this God and now learning she was nothing but a fake in hiding.”

 

“You wouldn’t happen to know anything, from Loki’s point of view would you?” AJ wondered.

 

“What do you mean?” Nick asked.

 

“Do you know anything about the Drak’nor that could help us?”

 

Nick sat there silent for a moment thinking and then like a light bulb going off he snapped his fingers and sat up.  “That’s what I wanted to tell you.”

 

“Huh?” AJ replied with a light laugh.

 

“Loki was here before Pixca.” Nick told him.  “Loki stayed after the Drak’nor had left, he was happy with the way the place was.  Then Pixca showed up and started changing everything, so he just sat back and watched what happened.”  AJ slowly nodded as he listened. “When Ti’Hort showed up Loki decided to make his move.  He corrupted the Dwarfs and that meant Genua and well you know the rest.”

 

“Why did he stay?” AJ asked.

 

“It was a reward, someone from this place before Pixca summoned Loki, he went back and got the Drak’nor, they destroyed this place and as a reward, they gave it to him.”

 

“Wait a minute…they were summoned here?”

 

“Yeah, someone from before they all got here and destroyed everything.”

 

“So this person opens the door and…”

 

“It’s not a door it’s a portal…well I guess it is a door but it’s really a portal.” Nick replied.

 

“Is there a point to this?” AJ asked annoyed.

 

“Yep” Nick nodded. “And it doesn’t really close, when the blood from someone here, someone chosen like Rayne, is used, it just goes dormant until someone else’s blood is used.”

 

“So it’s not closed.” AJ said

 

“Right” Nick replied nodding.

 

“So then how do we close it?” AJ hated it when Nick played twenty questions.

 

 “Who ever summoned Loki here must have used his or hers blood to open the portal…what if it is Loki’s blood that closes the portal.”

 

“It makes sense.” AJ said as he nodded again.  “I’ll make sure I bring this up at the meeting.”

 

“Why, I’ll be there” Nick said as AJ stood up.

 

“Dude, you don’t need to go Nali can fill you in, you need to rest.” AJ told him.

 

“I’m feeling much better; I’ve danced my ass off and sang for two hours feeling worse than this.” Nick said smartly. “I’ll be fine.”

 

“I’ll take your word for it.” AJ replied.  “I am going to go wake Rayne, I will see you at the meeting.”

 

“Alright” Nick said with a sigh as he sunk back into the water.

 

“You take it easy.” AJ said as he turned to Nick before walking out the door.

 

When he walked out to the Springs he saw no one was there and kind of wondered why no one waited for him.  He walked out into the streets and greeted the people with smiles and nods, even the ones who whispered as he walked past.  Stopping at a small flower stand he looked for the flowers that Rayne adored and just as he saw a bouquet littered with them, someone yelled his name.  He looked up as a guard came running towards him. When the man stopped in front of him he looked at the guard confused.

 

“You’re Majesty you need to come to Drisel right away.” The man told him and AJ didn’t like the look on the man’s face.

 

“Is it Queen Rayne?” AJ asked with worry.

 

“No Sir, Avit sent me to get you he sent another Guard to get her.” The Soldier told him.

 

“I will teleport and meet you there.” AJ told him and the man nodded.

 

In a flash of light he was at the Drisel Palace in the hallway outside of the Globe Room to Winnol.  He looked around and saw the halls were empty. When he started to walk down towards the large staircase someone came running around the corner from the other end of the hall.  They never acknowledge him and never saw him as they hurriedly ran down the stairs.  AJ made his way to the stairs and looked down to the foyer below.

 

“Alexander” Avit’s voice said from beside him and he spun around.

 

“What’s wrong?” AJ asked when he saw the look on his General’s face.  Avit said nothing as he turned around and AJ followed.  They walked down towards where he saw the woman running to the stairs and as they did what he saw paralyzed his whole body.  There on the floor was Rayne’s Mother.  She wasn’t moving, she wasn’t breathing, her eyes still open and as AJ stood over top of her he collapsed to his knees.

 

“Halian…” AJ whispered hoping he got some sort of reaction from her but there was nothing from the lifeless body in front of him.  Then as he looked closely he noticed her neck, his teeth gritted, his fist clenched and his breathing became heavy. Her neck had been broken.

 

“Who…did…this…” AJ huffed out.

 

“Reports are saying it was Dyn Sir.” Avit said solemnly. AJ closed his eyes, he knew Avit would say him, would say that name.

 

“Avit what is so important that…” Rayne’s voice stopped and he dared not turn around.  He didn’t want to see the pain in her eyes and he didn’t want to see her heart break but with one word, he didn’t need to see it he heard it. 

 

“Mother?”

 

Slowly AJ stood up and turned around. He looked at his wife as her eyes drifted down past him and then horror ripped across her face.  Rayne ran at her mother but AJ wrapped his arm around her waist and stopped her.  She pushed on his chest; she tried to pull his arm away as she screamed at her Mother.

 

“Someone raise her!” Rayne shouted as AJ stood there holding her.

 

“Rayne they can’t.” AJ told her as he tried to fight back his tears.

 

“What do you mean?” She asked as she looked at him her eyes drenched in tears. “Get a damn Priest and raise her!!”

 

“Her neck Rayne…” AJ told her and didn’t want to finish the sentence.  Her eyes darted down to her Mother and then closed as she started to cry harder.  She collapsed into his arms as her cries turned to screams and uncontrollable sobs.

 

Rayne pulled away from AJ and looked at him.  “Who…” She paused and gasped for air, trying to push back her sobs so she could speak.  “Who…did…this?”  He didn’t want to tell her, he didn’t want her to be hurt anymore and he didn’t want to have to deal with the anger she would unleash when she found out. “WHO DID THIS!?” She yelled at AJ.

 

“Dyn.” AJ replied and the grip on his sleeves got tighter.  Her eyes closed and then she buried her face into his chest as she broke down again.