- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 38

           

            Nick jumped down from the ship’s plank board onto the sand below.  He looked back and saw Nalia doing the same thing.  A smile broke from his lips when she walked up to him.  It was good being back with her, back in the safety of her arms, and back where things were peaceful, where there was no anger and pain. 

 

“What?” She asked with a light laugh. 

 

“Just enjoying the view.” He replied.

 

And to his shock Nalia softly chuckled.  “What ever you say Alexander.” She said as she walked past him.

 

“Hey” He pouted at her joking insult. 

 

“Which way do we go?” Brian asked as his wife, Howie and Leigh walked up to him.  Just then a giant gust of wind blew past them, blew through the trees and then it was gone.

 

“Something tells me that way.” Nalia said looking at Nick.

 

“Howie what do you hear?” He asked looking from Nalia to his Friend.

 

“Definitely that way.” Howie replied with a nod.

 

Nick gave the signal to Bussa and they made their way through the trees, following the path the wind took on moments ago.  A loud crashing sound was heard and then a giant flash of lighting came crashing down from the sky a ways in front of them.

 

“Looks like AJ’s working over time.” Brian whispered.

 

“I’m going to go sneak up and see what I can see.” Leigh-Anne said.

 

“Alone?” Brian whispered to her.

 

“Right now I’m the only one who can stealth and run.” She replied to him.

 

“We’ll keep walking; get back to us as soon as you get a report.” Nick told her

 

Leigh-Anne nodded and headed into the trees and he wasn’t sure whether it was her spell or the trees but she disappeared.  Nick gave the order to move forward and that’s what everyone did.

 

“I can hear shouting.” Howie said a little while later.  “Not close enough to make out voices though.”

 

“How far do you think we are?” Nick asked but they kept walking.

 

“A mile maybe two.” Howie replied.

 

“How long till Rossi reaches the other ships?” Brian asked.

 

“Bussa said an hour…”

 

“How long have we been walking?” Brian asked.

 

“At least a half of it.”

 

“How are we suppose to get there, help them, and then get back in time for Rossi?” Brian asked.

 

“AJ can teleport, he has his Gryphon Riders, and Rayne can turn into a wolf I’m sure we can figure something out.” Nick replied getting a little annoyed with the questions.  He made a mental note to tell AJ that next time he gets Brian.

 

“Hey” Someone said from in front of them and the three turned around.

 

“What did you see?” Nick asked when he saw it was Leigh-Anne.

 

“One Big ugly Demon down, they’re still fighting the other ones.”

 

“Big Ugly Demon? Other Ones? How many are there?” Brian asked.

 

“I think there was three.” Leigh-Anne replied.

 

“Alex and everyone seem to be fighting on the land but there are still people on the ships firing at the demons too.” She told them.  “I think I saw Rayne too, not sure.”

 

“Not sure?” Nalia replied.

 

“It was either her or I got really lucky that I wasn’t turned into wolf food.” She told her.

 

“Did you see how many were left in the fleet?” Nick asked.

 

“Thirteen ships left.” She replied and he was a little shocked she even knew to count the ships.

 

“I”ve seen the same damn movies you have Nick.” Leigh-Anne shot back without him saying a word and Brian giggled beside him.

 

“Thirteen? Nickolas they left with twenty?” Nalia replied and she seemed scared.

 

“We need to pick up the pace.” Nick shouted to Bussa and the man nodded.

 

 

 

AJ slammed down to the sand as a thunderous crash and bang echoed around him. Quickly he looked back and saw a giant boulder that by the looks of it had been picked up from the ocean floor and thrown at them.  As he stood up he looked around.

 

“Everyone still here?!” He shouted looking.

 

“We’re good!” He heard Kevin’s voice as he looked and saw Kevin and his Wife.  They were a little bitten up but they still looked ready to fight.

 

“Alright here Sir.” Avit replied and he looked over and saw him getting up, just a ways past him he saw Jaina and Lawrence getting up.

 

“Rayne” He said as he realized she hadn’t reported in.

 

“Over there.” Avit said as he pointed down the shore line. She was running to them, in wolf form. “At least I think that’s her.”

 

AJ couldn’t help but smile.  “Yeah that’s her.” He replied.

 

Just before she got to him she shifted into her human form and for a moment it made him breathless.  It was going to take a while to get use to seeing that.  “What’s up?” He asked.

 

“I saw Leigh-Anne, I think they sent her out to scout, so they must be some what close.” She told him.

 

“Incoming!!” Someone shouted and out of instinct they both ducked and covered.

 

“These things are really pissing me off.” AJ sighed as him and Rayne helped each other back up.  “Go to them, let them know what’s going on.”

 

“Alex…” She said unsure.

 

“You’re the only one who can run quick enough.” He told her. “Don’t worry about me I’ll be fine.”  He noticed she stared at him for a moment and then started running. He waited until she was in wolf form and then turned back to the giant demons.  Closing his eyes he mumbled something.  He felt the waves of the ocean rushing in and falling away.  He turned them, twisted them and when he opened his eyes back up he smiled lightly.

 

An old friend began to form, his arms shot out from the tornado of water that was his body.  A loud ear piercing roar was heard as the creature’s mouth took form.  AJ sent it rolling to demon that was closest.  It slammed its arm across the one demon sending it falling backwards into the water.  He heard Avit shout, he heard his men, and Rayne’s men shout.  He could feel the spell dispersing the farther the elemental took the demon down under the water but he fought it, fought to keep the spell going as long as possible.

 

Just like when you would pull on something until it snapped, the momentum of the spell breaking sent AJ forward and he went crashing into the sand and water in front of him.  His head spun and as he tried to stand he fell back to his knees. 

 

“Alex man you alright?” He heard Kevin say as he felt his friend take his arm.

 

“Yeah, yeah I’m good.” He replied shaking his head a little. AJ looked around out across the ocean, he only saw one Demon left.

 

“I hope he stays down there.” Kevin said as Avit walked up to him.

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Avit asked.

 

“She went to get Nick and everyone; she said she saw Leigh-Anne sneaking around.” AJ said as he looked back to the trees. 

 

“Does that mean they’re close?” Kristin asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded. “They most likely sent her out to scout ahead.”

 

“Incoming!!” Someone shouted again and with a frustrated growl AJ and everyone around him dropped to the ground.  Another Sea boulder came flying over their heads and crashed on top of some men a few feet away.

 

“Rrreally starting to piss me off.” AJ huffed as he stood up.

 

A loud roar was heard and everyone looked to where it was coming from.  AJ looked and saw the Demon he had beatin’ down with his elemental was back and he was staring right at AJ. The rock that was its body smoldered and surprising most of it still burned like hot coals.  As it snorted steam rushed from his nostrils. 

 

“He looks pissed.” Kevin said as AJ looked at him.  “I’m guessing anyways.”

 

“I think I have a plan.” AJ said as the demon started walking towards him.

 

“And what is this plan?” Kevin asked.

 

“Jaina!” AJ shouted and she quickly looked over he waved for her to come to him and so she did.  “Everyone grab onto me.”

 

“What?” Kevin replied confused.

 

“Are you teleporting?” Avit asked.  “We shouldn’t…

 

“Just trust me Avit.” AJ said and his General nodded and grabbed onto his robe.

 

He closed his eyes and remembered when he was facing off with Dyn. Remembering how he watched in horror as Dyn sent Rayne flying over the edge off the window.  Remembering how he wanted everything to just stop and as he thought those words he heard a slow rumble.  When he heard his friends gasp in shock he opened his eyes.

 

“Alexander…” Avit said breathless as he looked around.  Everything was stopped. The waves, the men on the beach, the men on the ship, and even the demons…they all stopped.

 

 

 

“Stop” Howie whispered quietly and everyone did as they looked at him. “I hear something.” He told them.  “Coming this way.”

 

“What is it can you tell?” Nick asked.

 

“Animal, I hear at least four footsteps.” He said.

 

“There” Nalia said pointing but then it cut behind a tree. Her eyes feel in confusion when she saw Rayne walk out from behind the same tree and then she remembered.  “Rayne!” She shouted quickly.

 

“That’s just trippy.” Nick mumbled as she walked towards them.

 

“Alex sent me to lead you back, we must hurry.” She told them as she stopped at them.

 

“How did you know we were here?” Nick asked.

 

“I saw Leigh-Anne.” She told them.

 

“How?” Leigh-Anne replied.

 

“Wolf sight.” She said and Nick raised his eyebrows in shock and then hid it.  “Now we must hurry.”

 

“Okay” Nick said nodding and everyone began running as they followed Rayne through the forest.  He was having a hard time keeping up with her they all were even Nadia and she wasn’t in human form.  Then she stopped dead and he noticed someone else did too as he past them.  When he stopped he looked back to Howie.

 

“What’s up D?” Nick asked as he walked up to him.

 

“Everything just stopped.” Howie told him.

 

“Stopped?” Nick replied confused.

 

“I can’t hear anything, the men fighting, the running, shouting, even the waves of the Ocean I can’t hear it.” Howie said with worry.

 

“Rayne” Nick shouted as he quickly turned around and she was already walking towards them.

 

“Howie can’t hear anything, he says nothing at all.” Nick told her.

 

“Not even the waves.” Howie said to her and Nick watched her.

 

“Alex” She whispered and then turned around. “We must hurry quickly.” She said as she started running again.

 

“Wait, what?” Nick replied even though he ran with her.  “What’s going on, why can’t he hear anything?”

 

“Just hurry” She said as she picked up her pace.

 

“What the hell” He gasped out trying to keep up but when they all broke from the trees.  Everyone but Rayne stopped dead. 

 

“What the fuck…” Brian gasped and even Nick was too stunned to react to that statement.  Everything stood motionless. 

 

“Nadia?” Nick said turning to look at her.

 

“This…I do not know” She gasped in awe.

 

 

 

 

With a grunt AJ dropped down to one knee, he was getting tired, and his body felt heavy like the world was pushing in on him.  He closed his eyes and concentrated because he needed to hold this spell, he needed to buy them time.

 

“Alex” His friend said from beside him but he pushed the concern away.

 

“Alex!” He heard her shout and he slowly turned his head and saw her running down the beach towards him.  When she reached him she dropped to her knees beside him.  “What are you doing?” She asked breathless.

 

“Called a time out.” He replied with a light tired smile.

 

“What the hell is this Rayne?” Kevin asked.  “What did he do?”

 

“Let it go.” She told him.

 

“Not till we are ready, where is Nick and everyone?” He asked.  She looked past him.

 

“They are coming, slowly.” She replied and he knew what she meant by slowly.

 

“What is going on, what is this?” Nadia asked as she walked up to them.

 

“Just get ready, the big guy in front is heading right for us, the ships are holding up ok with the other.” AJ said to him as he fought to keep his strength up.  “Nick when I let go of this spell, we’re going to teleport out to him and you do that thing you do.”

 

“Alex…” Rayne said in protest.  “This spell…”

 

“Rayne, I will be fine. Help take down the other one.” He told her.  His eyes saw the protest in hers but she nodded and stood up. 

 

AJ closed his eyes and released the spell, there was a loud zipping sound and then gasps from his friends, waves crashing, men shouting, and demons screaming.  He dropped to his hands as his head spun.

 

“Holy shit he can stop time.” He heard someone say.

 

“Alex?” Another voice said and he tried to stand up but he crashed down to the sand.

 

He settled his mind and slowed the spinning.  With a deep breath he pulled himself together and pulled himself up.  His eyes opened in an awaking motion and he centered himself.  Eyeing the big guy that was still coming their way he turned to Nick.

 

“Ready?” He asked.

 

“Are you sure dude? You looked out of it there for a second.” Nick said.

 

“I’m good just had to get my bearings.” He told him.  “Ready?” AJ asked again putting his hand on Nick’s shoulder.

 

“I should say something smart ass here but I can’t cause dude you just stopped time.” Nick replied like a giddy five year old boy. 

 

With a laugh AJ sent them out into the demon and they both landed on his broad shoulder.  Both of them lost their balance at first but regained it quickly.  AJ looked at the giant head and sighed.  He hadn’t notice they were there yet.  Hoping Nick would stay quiet he slowly made his way over.

 

“Umm…what do we do when this things drops into the ocean?” Nick whispered.

 

“Grab onto me and I’ll pop back up on the beach.” AJ told him.  “Hopefully.” He mumbled quickly and Nick heard him as he shot him a look. He took a couple of steps back and nodded to his friend to start.

 

Carefully bending down Nick put his hand on the rocky creature and started the purple pink stream flowing into the demon.  AJ almost lost his balance again when the creature stopped dead and moaned. 

 

“Hold on!” Nick shouted as the beast roared.  “This is where they get pissed.” He said with a smile and AJ knelt down gripping the ridged shoulder. 

 

The beast jerked a few times and they were both able to hang on but then a shadow crept across them and both looked up.  “Oh shit” AJ gasped as he saw the giant hand coming towards them.

 

“Jump!” Nick shouted as AJ quickly looked at him and then they both went diving into the water.  When he came up he quickly looked around for his friend and saw him swimming towards the creature’s leg.  Then he climbed up a little ways and started the spell again but no sooner had he had it flowing, the beast swatted at him again.

 

“Damn it” AJ huffed as he started swimming over.

 

“I need a distraction long enough to sink that spell in.” Nick told him as the water splashed around him. 

 

“Get back on him, I will give you one.” AJ told him and Nick nodded.

 

He watched as his friend swam over and climbed up onto the leg. Then suddenly the demon started walking again.  He saw Nick’s look of worry but he wasn’t.  Closing his eyes he listened to the water.  Feeling it crashing and flow around him.  He moved it, turned it, spun it around and soon, had the elemental at full height and ready for another fight.  The demon turned and charged at the giant water elemental.  It was hard for him to keep his concentration and fight off the water that splashed around him.  He tried to look for Nick as the demon swung at his watery companion.  Then the rock beast howled and splashed his fist into the water.  His elemental swung at the demon and sent it stumbling.  It crashed into the ocean and that’s when he realized.

 

“Nick” He gasped and then took a deep breath. He went under the water and began swimming towards the sinking demon.  Through the swirling current he could see the bright purple glow from the leg but he was running out of breath.  Remembering the words of Kimiri he manipulate the water around him turning it into air, as he started to get dizzy he took a breath.  He sighed in relief at the spell working around him and then began to swim back towards the glow. 

 

A moment later the glow disappeared and AJ panicked a little.  Then he saw something, something moving away from the demon, quickly he sent himself over there with a quick teleportation.  He popped up just above Nick and began casting his new found spell around his friend.  When Nick started breathing he looked at AJ and gave him a thumbs up as the water bubbled around him.  AJ rolled his eyes and pointed upwards and then both started swimming to the surface.  He let the spell go when they both popped up from the water.

 

“Damn you can hold you’re breath for a long time.” AJ said a little breathless.

 

“Deep sea diving, ya have too.”  Nick replied with a smile.

 

“Is it dead?” AJ asked as his eyes darted to the water.

 

“Yep” Nick nodded with certainty and AJ smiled.  “So these new spells you’ve learned…”

 

“The old Elvaan Kimiri said that before the Drak’nor came they could do a lot more than we could.”

 

“Including stopping time?” Nick asked.  “Which by the way is still fucking awesome, I’m jealous.”

 

“I stumbled on that one by accident, which I will tell you about after we get back to the beach.” 

 

Nick’s face changed almost like he had forgotten for a moment.  AJ grabbed his friend and sent them back to the beach where they stood before.  He looked around to see where everyone was, they were down a ways fending off the last demon which was being pummeled by Kristin’s and the Gryphon Rider’s arrows.

 

“Come on” AJ said and they hurried to their friends and family.