- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 39

           

            AJ chugged back the mug of water he was given.  He felt like his stomach was in a thousands knots and trying to climb out of him.  A thump pounded his head and he closed his eyes, this was one of the worse hangovers he had ever had, only it wasn’t an alcoholic hang over it was magic.  His body was telling him he was drawing in too much energy and he sighed knowing he couldn’t stop yet.  A shadow casted over him and he looked up and saw Rayne sitting down on the box next too him.  He tried to perk up.

 

“Do you need more water?” She asked as she took his mug from him.

 

“Not right now” He replied with a light smile.

 

“How are you feeling?” She asked with concern.

 

“I am fine beautiful.” He replied.

 

Rayne sighed.  “Alex, those spells they are a lot to take in.  You had your Elemental out twice, you teleported all over the place, and how long did you do that Time spell for?” She asked.”You may be a Guardian but we have limits.”

 

“But are we not more than just Guardians now?” He asked her and she looked at him.  “We all have evolved; you can’t even tell Nalia is missing her eyes.” AJ said.  “Nick just took down a giant demon with one spell, you can shape shift Rayne.”  She looked at him and he took her hands.  “I am fine, do not worry about me.”

 

“We need to get back to the other fleet.” Nick said as he walked up to the two of them.  “My mages are ready, Avit and Jaina are getting yours, should be enough to get us over there quick enough and you some more rest.” 

 

“Alright then let’s go.” AJ said as he stood up.

 

The three of them walked over to the dingy for the man ship in AJ’s fleet and loaded into it.  AJ sat in protest because neither Rayne nor Nick would let him teleport there.  When they were all aboard the boat, Nick gave the signal for the mages to start their wind spells.

 

“You should go lie down in your Quarters.” Rayne said and he looked at her ready to snap at her over protectiveness but then he saw the look in her eyes.

 

“Only if you join me.” He replied with a sigh.

 

She lightly smiled and took his hand.  He followed her into the room and it wasn’t until he saw the bed he realized how much he wanted to lie down.  His legs pushed him there and with a gentle thump he hit the bed.  He sighed as he looked up at the wood above him.

 

“We lost seven ships fighting those demons.” Rayne said as she sat down.  “I do hope Kalica is holding up better against Rossi.

 

“AJ!!” They heard someone shout from outside on the ships deck. Quickly they hurried to the door and went running outside.  They were surrounded in fog.

 

“It over took us, just like woosh.” Nick said breathless.  “The mages can’t even blow it away.”

 

“Look out!!” A deck hand shouted but it was too late they crashed into another boat and AJ went slamming onto the ships floor.  He heard wood snapping and people yelling, he heard an eerie howl and scream coming from both ships, and then it all stopped.  Slowly he looked up and saw the ship that had collided with them.  It flew the Tokia colours. 

 

“Alex you alright?” Nalia said as he looked beside him.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  Then he looked around, he saw Kevin getting up with the help of Nick and Kristin, he looked behind him and saw crew members climbing to their feet. “Where’s Rayne?”

 

“She was beside me…” Her voice froze and he looked over.  She was standing near the end of the ship, fighting with something around her neck.  A purple beam much like the magic he saw Nick use only this spell had fingers that wrapped around her throat.  He followed it up to the Tokia ship and saw Rossi standing above the wreckage. 

 

Quickly he jumped to his feet keeping his eyes on her and on Rossi but then just as he was about to reach her, Rossi snapped his arm back and she went flying up towards him.  She went crashing down onto the ship beside the dwarf and he bellowed a laugh before turning around and leaving AJ’s sight. 

 

With a quick thought AJ popped himself up on the deck, only to be met with swords.  He looked right at Rossi and the little man smirked at him.  “Stupid Elvaan.” He scoffed and turned around.  It was then AJ saw the other men carrying Rayne through a doorway, where Rossi followed.

 

Closing his eyes he grabbed onto the wind and sent a burst of air out around him and sent all of Rossi’s men flying away from him.  “Little Dwarfs.” AJ growled as he began walking towards the room.  Sending out Ice bolt after Ice bolt he kept the other deckhands at bay.  Kicking open the door he walked into the room.

 

“Don’t you bloody well move Elvaan.” Rossi snarled and AJ stopped as he saw two Dwarves, one holding Rayne who was still out cold and then other had the knife to her throat.  “I don’t need her blood fresh to open the portal.”

 

AJ let a wind spell go but nothing happened.  He looked around a little confused and tried again.  “Trying to cast are ya?” Rossi smiled.  “Spell lock.”  The Dwarf nodded to his men and they kicked out his knees and brought AJ to the ground.  They may have been small and stubby but they were quick, and they had him tied up in a second.

 

“Take her to the Mage” Rossi barked to his men.  They dragged her past AJ and he tried to fight a little.  But his arms were tied behind his back, which was also tied to his legs.  “Bound like the Elvaan pig you are.” The Dwarf said as he walked past.  “And don’t yee be tryin’ to follow, she’s goin’ to Loki, somethin’ tells me yee don’t know where he be.” Rossi smiled and then walked out of the room. 

 

He shouted and yelled and wrestled with the ropes.  To busy trying to get out of his restraints to hear the fighting on deck but then someone ran into the room.  “Here!!” He heard Brian shout and his friend came running in.

 

“Where is Rayne did you get her?” He asked with a panic.

 

“No, she’s not here with you?” Brian asked.

 

“No, Rossi…” He stopped talking when Nick and Nalia ran into the room. “Did you see Rayne?”

 

“No, just Rossi before he teleported with a Mage.” Nick said as AJ jumped up as Brian undid the last knot.

 

“Fuck!” AJ shouted as he stormed out of the room.

 

“What’s going on, where’s Rayne?” Nick asked.

 

“Rossi…” AJ stopped as fright and worry flew through his body.  “Rossi took her to Loki.”

 

 

 

Nick looked over at Tokia’s men as they were rounded up by their crew.  Some of the faces he recognized some he didn’t.  Some he had drinks with, some he didn’t.  These were supposed to be his people.  He was supposed to lead them one day, not fight against them.

 

“Teleport.” Kevin spoke up.

 

“He can’t.” Nick replied before AJ could.  “He doesn’t know where Loki is.”  And then Nick snapped his fingers. “Bussa get me some of those Tokia men, I’ll make them tell us where he is.” He said as he walked over to Nalia’s General.

 

“It still won’t matter he’s never been there.” Nalia replied as she stood there in worry.

 

Nick ignored her and grabbed the man that Bussa was holding. The purple pink glow flowed from his hands and seeped into the man’s shoulder.  “Where is Loki?”  The Dwarf spit at him.  The glow got brighter and the man screamed in pain as he dropped to the ground.  “Where is Loki?” Nick growled.  But then something different happened.  Nick jerked and gasped as he was caught in some kind of hold.  He couldn’t see the ship anymore just a dark cave and then a door way.  Two men stood in the room and he looked at the woman they held.

 

“Rayne.” He whispered and then a broad tall demon, the one from his dream, the one that tried to make him a demon, stood in front of him.  He looked right into Nick’s eyes. 

 

“We only need her blood.” He hissed and then looked back as a Dwarf ran Rayne through with a dagger.  A loud grown broke from her lips as the little man pulled the knife out, Rossi walked over to her putting a jar against her and letting the blood flow into it.

 

Quickly not letting go of the captured dwarf, Nick swung around and grabbed AJ’s arm. The Vision flowed through him to AJ and his eyes fell in horror.  “Get us there, now!” Nick growled.  With the rush of the wind Nick looked around, everything for a second was blurry and then they were standing in the cave.  Loki spun around with the jar in his hand.

 

“You are too late.” The Demon spoke in a deep booming voice.

 

Nick heard AJ moan and he quickly looked over to his friend; he was looking to the floor beside Loki.  His eyes followed and there he saw Rayne, pail, she looked…

 

“Go.” Loki said handing the jar to Rossi. “Take this to the tree, open the portal, my people will be ready.” He told the Dwarf.  The man that was his Father put his hand on the Mages shoulder and they were gone.

 

Nick quickly looked over to AJ and his friend was looking right at him.  Without speaking they knew what each other was thinking.  In a flash AJ was gone and Nick spun around jumping at Loki.  They crashed to the floor Nick landing on top but the demon was much stronger and he pushed Nick off of him, sending him crashing into a shelf on the stone wall.

 

“Nettlesome Dwarf!” Loki yelled as he stood up. Nick shook his head trying to get his bearings.  The tall Demon walked over and picked Nick up, he looked down at the tentacle riddled face and frowned, it looked slimy. 

 

“Pixca may have lied to us but I’ll give her one thing…” Nick coughed out as Loki squeezed his neck tighter.  “She looked waay better than you.” He let out a shout as he was sent flying to the other corner of the room landing almost on top of Rayne.

 

“Your trivial jests mean nothing to me.” Loki growled as he looked down on Nick.  He slowly climbed to his feet and looked back at the demon.  “It is a shame she pulled the Drak’nor from you.” Loki said nodding down to Rayne.  “You could have been Origar.”  Loki stepped over Rayne and grabbed Nick by the throat. 

 

His hands scrambled as he tried to get a grip on the Demon.  After giving it a quick thought he heard a loud ear piercing but familiar cackle and then small orb of fire ignited against Loki’s back.  The Demon shouted in pain and dropped Nick again he almost fell right on top of Rayne.  With Loki distracted Nick grabbed the Demon’s wrist and then grabbed Rayne.  The Demon looked at him confused but it was enough time to sink the spell in. 

 

Loki tried to pull away but once Nick had you, there was no getting away.  He stared at Loki, this Demon, this thing responsible for the destruction of a culture, almost destroying another one.  He turned an entire Race, his race against their world, made them do horrible things and now he was trapped.

 

The Demons essence flowed into him, he took it in absorbed it as he always did but this time, instead of him taking the energy, he sent it to Rayne.  Loki wailed as he dropped to his knee, he tried with no avail to pull away again.  Nick breathed heavily as the weight of the spell grew on him.  The Demon screamed again and he was to busy concentrating on what he was doing to notice AJ was back with the Jar in hand. 

 

 

 

AJ eye’s darted around in panic as he watched the scene in front of him.  Nick was doing something to Loki and Rayne.  He watched the magic flow from the Demon to Nick and then from Nick to Rayne.  When she gasped his eyes went right to her as Nick and Loki dropped to the ground.  He ran to her and put the jar down.

 

“Rayne?” He said when he saw she was getting up.

 

Slowly she reached up and grabbed her head. “What happened?” She asked looking around confused.  His eyes darted to her stomach, the blood still on her dress, the rip that was created from the Dagger was still open but there was no wound, and no blood flowing.

 

“Is Nick alright?” She asked and his eyes darted back at her.  She was looking behind him. He turned around and saw Nick lying on the ground. 

 

He turned to his friend.  “Nick?” He shook him.  “Nick, Dude?”

 

“That sucked.” Nick moaned his eyes still closed. His eyes slowly opened and he looked at AJ.  “Is Rayne ok?”

 

“She’s fine dude, thanks to you.” AJ replied with a smile.

 

“Owe.” He moaned as he tried to sit up.  “Oh that hurt, that definitely hurt.” He sighed as he laid back down again.

 

“Is Loki dead?” AJ asked looking to Rayne and Nick.

 

“I hope so” Nick sighed again and then with a deep breath he sat up. “What about Rossi?”

 

“He’s out cold back at the tree.” AJ replied.

 

“I am still confused on what happened.” Rayne said as she held her head.

 

AJ and Nick began to fill her in.  From when she went flying onto Rossi’s ship from his spell, to her being run through with a Dagger.  She sat there stunned for a moment and looked at them.

 

“We need to get back to the others they must be wondering what happened.” Rayne said as AJ nodded.

 

“What about him?” He asked.

 

“We need to take him to the portal.” Rayne told them.

 

“You two stay here and watch him. I will teleport to the ship and tell them where we are headed, the Mages there can send them to the portal, I’ll come back with some other Mages and then we will head there.”

 

“Okay” Rayne and Nick said with a nod.

 

AJ closed his eyes and when he opened the again he was staring back at his friends.  They were looking at him with surprise and concern.  He felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned and saw Nalia looking at him.

 

“He’s ok” AJ replied.  “Loki’s dead.”

 

“What, how?” Nalia gasped.

 

“Nick some how saw what they were doing to her, they stabbed her and took her blood in a jar.” AJ told them.

 

“Alex.” Kevin said with concern and he waved them off.

 

“We teleported out there, Loki gave the Jar to Rossi and he took off with a Mage to the tree where the portal is.  I went after Rossi, I got the jar back but then when I got back to the cave, Nick was draining Loki but he was sending the energy to Rayne.  He gave her enough energy to come back and even heal herself.

 

“What?” Nalia said stunned. “Well where are they now?”

 

“With Loki’s body, we have to go to the Portal, everyone group up with a Mage, I need two to come with and we’ll meet you there.” AJ told them.  “Oh” He said snapping his fingers. “Rossi might be waking up now and he will most likely be confused as all hell, so be on the look out.”

 

“Okay” Everyone nodded and agreed.

 

With Mages in tow AJ went back to the cave and rejoined Rayne and Nick.  One Mage went with Nick, one Mage went with Loki’s body and AJ took Rayne from around the waist. 

 

“Ready?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She replied with a nod.

 

In a flash they were both standing at the tree and they quickly looked around surveying the area.  Nalia, Howie, Brian, Avit, Leigh-Anne, Leigh, and Jaina standing around in a circle and then AJ saw Nick and his Mage pop up on the other side of the circle.

 

“Nick!” Kevin shouted when he saw him. He felt a tug on his arm and he looked at Rayne standing beside him.  She didn’t look at him she just nodded.  He followed and saw Rossi and the other Mage on their knees.  The old Dwarf looked lost and confused.

 

“Loki is dead; they are no longer under his control.” She said as she finally looked at him.

 

“So…what do we do now?” AJ asked.

 

“From what I understand the tree marks where the portal is, we need to put his blood there, and that should close the portal, correct?” She asked looking at Nick and he nodded.

 

The body of the Demon was dragged over to the tree and everyone looked at Nalia’s sword. AJ looked around and saw his friends, Avit, Jaina, Lawrence and Bussa all staring at them.  He realized then what this moment meant for them.  It was the end, the end of a war, the end of being puppets for another race, another culture.

 

AJ looked up as Nalia lifted her sword.  “For Pix…” she stopped and he head tilted to Rayne.

 

“For Aurona.” Rayne said with a light smile, Nadia smiled back.

 

“For Aurona” Nalia said and then drove her sword through the Demon. 

 

A loud crackle and everyone quickly moved away from the tree.  The portal opened as a purple and black magic flowed around it and everyone gasped.  They saw a Demon on the other side, he roared and growl at them, and then it looked down and saw Loki.  Its howl got worse as the portal began to spark and rip as the magic that had held it open all these years began to weaken.  It got smaller and smaller as the purple and black magic slowly turned to white. The Demon roared again and AJ thought for a moment the beast was going to come through the portal but then a loud sonic boom was heard, it caused AJ and everyone around him to duck out of habit and they dropped to the ground.  When he looked up again, the tree was dead, the portal was gone, and the people slowly started to cheer.

 

AJ stood up and brushed himself off and then looked over to Rayne, she was staring at the tree and tear fell down her cheek.  “Are you alright Rayne?” He asked as he turned to her with concern. 

 

Her head turned and she looked at him.  Her eyes were filling with more tears but she smiled lightly.  “It is over. The War we fought for years, all the people we lost, it is finally all over.”

 

He smiled at his Wife and wrapped her in his arms.  Holding her tight he let her cry happy and relieved tears as the people celebrated around them.  When she pulled away from him a little he looked at her, her fingers drifted past his face and gently drifted down his hair. She trapped one of his long beads in her fingers and looked at him.

 

“So” Nick’s voice broke apart their moment and they both rolled their eyes and looked at him. “What are we doing about Rossi?” The anger of Nick budging in faded away as they looked to the Dwarf on the ground. 

 

“They were under Loki’s control.” Rayne said as the four of them stood in a circle.

 

“Can we blame them for what they have done?” Nalia asked.

 

“Nick what do you think?” AJ asked looking at his friend.

 

“I know what Loki can do, the control he can have over you.  We should put them all some where until we can know for sure the effects of him are gone and if they are then…” He paused and AJ waited for him to finish.  “Then I guess he can return as King…”  AJ noticed it looked like Nick wanted to say more but he didn’t.

 

“I will inform the Generals.” Rayne said with a nod before leaving the circle.

 

“So…” Nick said as the three walked towards Rayne and everyone else.  “What do we do now?”

 

“First we burn Loki’s body and then my friends we party.” AJ said with a smile and it made Nick laugh.