- Text Size +

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 40

           

            AJ sat at the long table in the town center of Hevi.  The people around him human and Elvaan celebrated.  He found himself thinking about all the Dwarves sitting in the camps that had been built to house and guard them. His eyes darted upwards when he saw a shadow cut across him and he smiled when he saw his Wife sitting down beside him.

 

“Done dancing already?” She asked a little breathless.

 

“And to think this afternoon you were so adamant about getting me to rest.” He replied.

 

“Hmmm” She hummed as she smiled jokingly. He laughed and wondered if he had ever seen her as happy as she was now. Well maybe on their wedding night.

 

“You’re Majesty.” Kimiri said from behind AJ and he turned around.

 

“Yes Kimiri?” She replied.

 

“I and the rest of us wish to speak to you, Princess Nalia, King Alexander, Prince Nickolas, and their friends in private.” The tall Elvaan said and AJ looked at Rayne.

 

“Alright” She replied with a nod.  “We can meet in the Auditorium.”

 

“Very well.” He replied with a nod and then walked away.

 

“What was that about?” AJ asked.

 

“I have no idea but we should gather everyone and find out.” She told him as she stood up. After a few moments AJ looked around and saw everyone but Nick staring back at him.

 

“Does anyone know where he went?” Kevin asked.

 

“He told me he was going to get another drink, that was only a few moments ago.” Nalia replied confused.

 

 

Nick walked the small path between the giant city wall and the castle wall as he made is way towards the temporary camps.  The guards nodded to him as they let him walk past the only entrance everything else was wood, spikes, and spiked animal fence.  He walked to the back of the camp and found the last tent.  With a deep breath he pulled back the flap and walked in.  He saw Rossi sitting on the mats and blankets that were provided to him.  The man looked up at him.

 

“Aye shouldn’t yee be out celebrating?” Rossi mumbled.

 

“Nalia told me the camps were finished so I wanted to check them out.” He replied.

 

“So what yee be doin’ here?” He asked.

 

“What happened to the Dwarves Rossi?” Nick asked.

 

The man sighed and sat there and then he spoke.  “T’was a Dwarf Priest that summoned Loki here and when he realized what Pixca was up ta, he took over her Dwarf race and well the rest yee know.” He said.

 

“When I first got here you acted like everything was fine…”

 

“It twas until yee broke from Loki’s spell when you and Nalia were going to Ashmourn, he couldn’t control ya anymore.”  Rossi told him.  “Tats when he started barkin’ orders to kill ya.”  The man sighed again.  “He took Mela first sent her after you, tat’s all I rrememba.”

 

“Took?” Nick asked confused.

 

“Mela didn’t want to do it, she still loved ya, I did too you were our son.” He said as he looked at Nick.  “I’m glad it was you in that she didn’t die by someone else’s sword.”

 

Nick stood there for a second everything since that moment had been happening so fast he didn’t realize what he had actually done that night, the night when Rayne found him in that cave, and they went to Hevi.  He remembered holding Mela by her neck, sucking the energy and life from her.

 

“Aye, yee should get back to the party.” Rossi said as Nick’s thoughts were broken

 

He didn’t want to, he wanted to talk to Rossi some more.  He knew it wasn’t their fault; Loki was controlling them, making them do these things.  He didn’t want to go but he knew that Rossi and the others wouldn’t want to be bothered right now as they tried to grasp their heads around what transpired.  Turning around Nick opened the flap and walked out of the small tent.  He was about to look back when he saw AJ walking up to him.

 

“How did I know you’d be here?” AJ asked as his friend walked up to him.

 

“What’s up?” Nick asked knowing AJ wouldn’t leave a party for just any reason.

 

“Kimiri wants to see us; we’re meeting in the Auditorium.” His friend told him.

 

“Really why?” Nick asked as the two started walking.

 

“I have no idea” AJ replied with a light sigh.

 

 

AJ stood beside Rayne as he looked around and saw his friends, their wives, Nick and Nalia.  In front of them on the floor where the seats were organized were Kimiri and the other Elvaans.  He wondered what this was about, why were they all brought here.

 

“Alright Kimiri we are all here why did you want with us?” Rayne asked as AJ looked to the old Elvaan.

 

“We have gifts for you Milady.”

 

“Gifts?” Rayne responded confused and AJ looked over at Nick just as confused.

 

“Yes” The man replied.  “First we have a gift for the proud knights of this land.” Kimiri said and AJ looked over to Howie and Kevin.

 

“Our world’s blood flow is magic, it always has been and it always will be.” Then Kimiri held up a bunch of shinny black stones as they hung from three necklaces. “These stones come from the deepest darkest caverns on this land and with these stones; you will always be connected to this place.”  Kimiri nodded to a man and he began to put the necklaces over the heads of Kevin, Brian, and Howie.  “With these stones you will be able to visit this place any time you see fit.”

 

“Seriously?” AJ and Nick replied a little shocked.

 

“What about our wives?” Kevin asked.

 

“You can take one person with you.” Kimiri replied with a light smile.

 

“So they can just come here any time they want too?” AJ asked and Kimiri nodded. 

 

“Hold the stone in your hand and remember this place, it will take you there.” The old Elvaan told them.

 

“That’s awesome.” Kevin smiled as he looked over the necklace he wore and even AJ smiled.

 

“Thank you Kimiri.” Rayne said with a smile.  “It is good to know our friends won’t be so far away.”

 

“So is that it? Can we go back to the party?” Nick asked and then AJ heard a huff from him as Nalia’s hand smacked against his stomach.  AJ giggled.

 

“No Prince Nickolas there is still more.” Kimiri replied to him with a light smile.  He then turned to the four of them as they stood beside each other on the stage. “Before we say our final goodbye this gift we give to you, the hero’s of Aurona, you saved our land, our world, and no matter how you got here or who created you, you saved our people, your people.”

 

“Final goodbye?” AJ whispered to Rayne and she lightly shrugged with a nod as she quickly looked at him.

 

“So in turn, we will save yours.” Kimiri said and both AJ and Rayne turned their heads to look at the old Elvaan who was already blanketed in a white, bright, glow.  It consumed the other Elvaans that were with him as they chanted.

 

“What is going on?” He heard Nalia whisper but he couldn’t say anything he just watched.

 

The bright light got larger and larger and AJ had to cover his eyes with his hand and then just as fast as the light had consumed them they were gone.  All of them, gone.  AJ’s eyes scanned the empty chairs in front of him.

 

“Well what the hell.” Nick said from beside him.

 

“Nickolas?” Nalia said and everyone turned to look at her.  She was standing in front of Nick as he turned to face her.  AJ’s eyes frowned in confusion as her hand reached up to Nick’s face and gently touched it, her eyes...  “I can see you.” She whispered as tears dripped from her eyes.  “I can see you!” She said with some excitement as she jumped into his arms.  AJ could tell Nick was still in shock from what was going on as everyone gathered around the two.

 

“Alexander…” A voice said from behind them and AJ froze.  He knew that voice, it had been a while since he heard it but he knew it.   Rayne had turned around before him and he heard her gasp and then she choked out a cry.  He looked at her and saw her face, saw the look in her eyes and that is when he finally turned around and saw…

 

“Marsa?” AJ whispered as his throat went dry.  Then he noticed the two women standing beside him.

 

“So in turn, we will save yours.” He heard Rayne whisper and then everything clicked.

 

Marsa walked up to him and the man had a bright smile on his face.  This time AJ noticed he stood almost face to face with him.  He stood there not sure if what he was seeing was real or not, maybe it was one final trick from Loki, from the Dwarves. Marsa put his arms around AJ and pulled him into a hug. 

 

“It is good to see you again my Son.” Marsa said and as AJ heard the words he brought his arms up and hugged him back.  When the two pulled away again they both had wet eyes from the tears they cried.

 

“Rayne!” Someone shouted from the back of the Auditorium and everyone spun around.

 

AJ felt his heart flutter when he saw Halian running down the isle towards Rayne. He looked to his Wife she was frozen, looking at the woman running towards her, and then Rayne jumped down from the stage and ran into her Mothers arms.  Then AJ looked up when something caught his eye.  He took a deep breath and watched as Rayne saw what he saw.

 

“Father…” Rayne said as she ran to him and hugged him.  He could hear her crying as she hugged the man that she lost over a year ago.  He smiled, happily as he watched his wife greet her parents again.

 

The door on their right side opened up and everyone looked but it was Nalia who gasped and let go of Nick as she went running towards the tall broad man who walked into the room. She jumped into his arms and AJ knew when he looked at Nick.

 

“Think that’s her Dad?” AJ asked Nick with a smile.  His friend turned his head and looked at him, he had tears and a smile, and he answered with a nod.

 

“What about Nick?” Kevin asked and AJ looked at him.  “Where’s Mela?”

 

“Probably not here, she was one of the reasons they lost their land.” Nick said as he wiped his eyes.  “It’s o…”

 

“Aye don’t ya be thinkin’ you could get rid of your Mother that easily!” They heard the familiar voice of a Dwarf and everyone turned around.  Mela stopped and looked at Nick, everyone looked at Nick.  His friend took a step and then another and then AJ watched as Nick knelt down and hugged her.

 

“I’m sorry” AJ heard Nick say to her and Mela lightly smiled.

 

“Don’t be me son.” She replied with a smile as she hugged him back.

 

When AJ felt something touch his shoulder he turned around and saw Rayne.  He smiled at her and he pulled her into a hug.  When they pulled away he saw her parents watching them with a smile on their face.

 

“Alexander?” Marsa said and AJ got a chill down his spine.  He knew this was going to take some getting use too.  “Your Mother and Sister would like to meet you.”  AJ smiled not really sure how to react as Marsa took a step back and he saw the tall Elvaan woman that had visited him when he first got here.

 

“You still have those eyes I remember looking back at me when you were first born.” Tsa said and then she hugged him.  When they pulled away she turned a little.  “And this is your Sister Nati.”

 

“Nati” AJ said with a smile and then a thought popped into his head. “Wait here ok.” AJ said not sure why they would leave in the first place.  His Family looked back at him confused.  Then in a flash AJ was gone.

 

“Alex, there you are Bussa’s been looking for Nalia, have you seen her?” Avit asked.

 

“Yeah, you need to come with me.” AJ said looking at Avit as Jaina, Bussa and Lawrence walked up to him. 

 

“Is everything alright?” Jaina asked.

 

“Yeah, everything is fine, meet us in the Auditorium.” AJ replied as he looked back to Avit.  “Ready?” He asked his General and the man nodded with a confused look on his face.  In a flash they were back in the Theatre.  But they weren’t on the stage; they were standing in the middle of the isle. Avit’s back was to everyone as they stood on the stage.  AJ looked behind Avit and saw his Sister Nati stepping forward. 

 

“Sir, what is going on?” Avit asked as AJ held him by the arms.

 

“What’s the one thing you want more in this world Avit?” AJ asked him.

 

“Well that has already happened thanks to you Sir.” Avit said and AJ knew he meant peace.

 

“Besides that?” AJ asked with a smile.  Just then Jaina, Lawrence and Bussa entered the Auditorium.  He heard gasps and mutters.  AJ watched as Avit’s eyes darted behind him most likely to Jaina.  For a moment AJ wanted to turn around and see the look on Jaina’s face seeing Nati standing there.  “More than anything…” He whispered when Avit looked back to him.

 

“Sir” Avit said and his face showed confusion but hope.  AJ smiled at Avit and let go of his arms.

 

“Someone wants to say Hi” AJ said with a nod and Avit slowly turned around.  AJ looked at his Sister as she stood there quiet, her hands folded in front of her.  Avit started to go down and AJ grabbed him Bussa did too.

 

“I can not believe my eyes…” Avit whispered.

 

“Believe it.” AJ said back as Avit looked at him.  His General looked back to the woman who was now walking down the stage.  AJ noticed Avit took a deep breath and then stood up straighter. He then made his way too her, AJ followed closely behind.

 

“Nati?” Avit said still confused by the person standing in front of him. Her hand drifted up the side of his face, her fingers trickled down his cheek.

 

“Avit” She replied with a light smile and then she was taken into his arms as they kissed.

 

AJ looked around as everyone smiled, cheered a little and began talking to the people they had just gotten back.  He looked back to his Sister and Avit as they stared at each other.

 

“I do not understand what is going on.” Avit said still looking at Nati.

 

“Kimiri” AJ said and Avit looked at him.  “He asked us to come here; he told us that they were giving us a gift because we helped save Aurona.” AJ told him.  “This…” He said as he waved his arm around and for the first time Avit saw everyone else.  Marsa, Tsa, Rayne’s parents.  “This was his gift to us; he gave us back what we had lost, because we did the same for them.”

 

“Everyone?” Avit asked.

 

“Everyone” AJ replied with a smile. He eyes drifted over to Rayne and she was back on the stage staring at him.  Looking back to Avit and Nati and smiling as they hugged and kissed again he made his way to the stage.  She jumped down and ran up to him and then wrapped her arms around him.

 

“This is so wonderful.” She said as she started crying again.  AJ smiled as he held her tighter. 

 

After a moment he slowly pulled her away and looked at her. “Now our lives can really begin together.” He told her and she nodded with a smile before falling back into his arms.