- Text Size +

                          The Guardian Crusade

                                            Volume III

 

                                                                 Chapter Six

 

Nick stood on the balcony of his and Nalia’s bedroom in Kalica.  He could see the ocean from it in the distance, the ocean lead to Tokia.  His eyes glared at the horizon as his hands gripped the thick stone balcony railing tightly.  Nalia kicked him out so he would go to sleep when her Mom showed up and he honestly tried to when he got back here but his mind was a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts.  The bedroom door opened and he turned around, he was a little surprised to see Nalia being carried in by some Priest from Winnol.  When he walked into the room Evia entered and walked over to him.

 

“They said she could come home and rest but a Priest must be here to tend to her…” The woman stopped and frowned.  “I am calling a meeting before breakfast to discuss what to do about Rossi and the Dwarves, I have sent Bussa to inform Rayne and Alexander, and I would like you to be there as well.”

 

“I will.” Nick told her firmly.  He watched as Evia’s eyes drifted to her daughter and she sighed.  “I worry what will happen to her but I know she will be ok because she has you.” Evia said and Nick looked away, he didn’t feel very worthy.

 

“Mom?” Nalia said and they both looked at her.  She was sitting up against some pillows, her hair was down and still damp, she wore a new dry robe, and her eyes were covered in clean soft linen bandages that wrapped around her head.

 

“Yes sweetheart?” Her mother asked.

 

“Is Nick here?” She asked.

 

“Yeah Nali I’m here.” Nick replied as he walked over too her and Evia left the room to get ready for the meeting before breakfast.

 

“You are supposed to be sleeping.” She said as her hand reached for him.

 

“I tried but I can’t right now.” He told her and he took it.  Nick sat down on the edge of the bed beside her. 

 

“Well I am tired so will you come lie with me?” She asked and he lightly smiled.

 

“Sure.” Nick said and climbed into bed beside her. He laid their hands on his stomach as she slowly moved closer to him.  Her head lied directly across from him and he examined her face more closely starting with the small cut on her lip.  There was bruise on her cheek, a cut on her forehead, and then there was the silk wrap around her eyes.  His lip started to quiver as tears began to swarm and he closed his eyes trying to push away the guilt and pain. 

 

Nick looked down when she let go of his hand and drifted it up his arm.  Her fingers drifted across his neck and gently along his cheek.  She tilted her head up as she let her finger tips lightly explore the side of his face.  When her finger ran over a tear it stopped and he saw her lips frown. 

 

“Do not blame yourself.” She spoke quietly.

 

“I don’t, trust me, I blame Rossi.” Nick told her as she wiped the tear away.  “I’m just scared.”

 

“Scared?” She replied puzzled.

 

“For you.” He told her.  “What will you do now? How can you fight?”

 

“I do not know.” She said with a light sigh.  “But we will figure out something and until then I have you.”

 

“Nalia I don’t know if…” He was interrupted.

 

“I know you can, I was awake when you were carrying me down the tunnel in that place, I heard those creatures and there were many.” She said as her hand slid down to his neck.  “I heard what the Dwarves were screaming when they got attacked by them.”  Her thumb rubbed along his chin. “I know I am safe with you and you will watch over me.”  Nalia pulled him closer to her lips and kissed him.  He wrapped his hand around the back of her neck, his fingers tangled in her hair and his lips parted as her tongue drifted along his. As they pulled away her hand drifted from his neck down around his waist and around his back.  He lightly kissed her forehead as she tucked it under his chin, against his neck and nestled into him.

 

“I love you Nali.”

 

“I love you too my darling.” She replied as her hand rested against his chest.  Finally his mind had stopped racing and he ended up falling asleep before Nalia did.

 

 

 

            AJ held onto Rayne’s arm as they walked side by side down the stairs of the Kalica Palace and Avit and Jaina walked in front of them.  The couple was eating breakfast with the guys and their wives when Bussa came in and informed them about the meeting Queen Evia was calling.  They both knew it was coming; Kalica would want justice for what happened to Nalia.  He was also interested in seeing how Nick was doing. 

 

The doors to the large meeting room opened and they both followed their guards into the room.  When AJ walked in he looked around and saw Evia sitting at her desk, Bussa standing beside her and as he looked around for Nick he heard the doors upstairs open.  He looked up and saw Nick coming out of his and Nalia’s bedroom. 

 

“How is she?” Rayne asked as Nick walked down the stairs.

 

“She’s sleeping right now.” Nick told her as he reached the bottom.  “So what’s the plan?”

 

“If Rossi is using Uldice as a base than that means he has the entire island under watch.” Evia said as she looked over a map of Tokia.

 

“What is this Uldice anyways?” AJ asked.

 

“It was an old city, Rossi told me about it once but he just made it out like it was somewhere they use to live until they learned to work with metal and built Augem.” Nick spoke up.  “He said it was abandoned with only some guards watching over the tunnels.”

 

“Did he ever take you there?” Rayne asked.

 

“No, just pointed it out on a map quickly.” He replied.

 

“How did you know where to go?” Evia asked.

 

“Didn’t, they jumped me and brought me too her and then I broke out.” Nick replied he then looked at Rayne.  “What did Pixca tell you?”

 

“Tell me?” She replied a little confused.

 

“Back at Ashmourn before…” He stopped at looked at AJ.  “Before the door closed, you knew about what the Dwarves did, what did she say?”

 

“She told me that while they were fighting for the land with the humans, they went into the mountains and started mining that’s when they came across Ignis.” Rayne told them.

 

“What was Ignis doing there?” AJ asked.

 

“That is where he stayed after Silvnia became a Dryad.” Rayne said.

 

“Who?” Nick spoke up.

 

“Silvina was a Druid she was the next chosen Druid to become a Dryad, when he learned what they a Dryad was suppose to do, he tried to stop her but in the end she followed the path she was meant too.” Rayne said as she looked over to AJ.  “He secluded himself in the mountains until the Dwarves found him.  He agreed to give them power to win the war with the humans if they helped him.”

 

“Do what?” Evia asked.

 

“Get revenge against Pixca for what he felt she made Silvina do.” Rayne told them.  “Something happened, for some reason the Dwarves destroyed the Tree and killed the Dryad; it sent Ignis into a rage. The door was opened and the Demons started coming through, the land changed and when Pixca went there to stop it, she lots her powers, like what happened to me and then she was placed in Ashmourn. Ignis went after the Guardians until everyone forgot what had happened.”

 

“So the Dwarves knew all along.” Nick said as he sat back in his chair.

 

“I would say so and now knowing the events that have happened, it would explain why King Colim and Father were always a step behind.” Rayne said as she looked at Evia.

 

“And why Rossi sent Nickolas away.” Evia said sadly.

 

“Perhaps.” Rayne agreed.

 

“What about me? Marsa knew nothing; He wouldn’t have been in on this.” AJ spoke up quickly.

 

“Marsa was Elvaan and above all else believed in the word of Pixca, he was only doing what he thought she asked.” Rayne told him.  “We know Marsa would not have been with Ignis.” She reassured him.

 

That pissed AJ off, he knew what it was like to get used by people who took advantage of his heart and where it took him.  Whether it be his Father back on Earth, Fans trying to get theirs or some woman some where wanting to see her name in lights along with his.  Now he was realizing it happened to Marsa too, he was used for following his heart. 

 

“Alex we will need to use your Spies.” Evia said and he looked up at her.  “We’ll need some in Augem and some to update us on what is going on at Uldice.”

 

“I will meet with them when we leave here.” AJ told her.

 

“Where does Sarila stand?” Evia asked Rayne.

 

“Jaina has begun to ready the fleet and the army is on stand by to be shipped with them.” Rayne replied.

 

“I had Avit send some Gryphon Riders as well; they will arrive in a couple of hours.” AJ told her as Evia nodded.

 

“We will send out the spies and let them watch for a day or so that way we can find out where his army is concentrated.” Evia said as she pointed to something for Bussa to see.  “Rossi knows we’re going to go after him, perhaps making him wait will falter his judgment.”

 

“They should start where we found Nick and Nalia.” Rayne spoke up.

 

“Yes I agree but we will need some spies to cover Augem as well, find out how the two places are communicating.” Evia replied.  “Rossi might have guards out searching, prepare them for that but a Dwarf of any kind is no match for your Spies Alexander.”

 

AJ was about to say something when a loud crashing sound from the room upstairs made everyone jump. Nick was out of his chair and up the stairs before anyone else reacted.  AJ walked into the room with Rayne and they both stopped when they saw Nalia on the floor no where near her bed.  Nick knelt beside her making sure she was ok.

 

“I just wanted to go to the restroom.” Nalia said bitterly as she cried.  “I can not even do that.”

 

“You just need to learn where everything is.” Nick told her as AJ looked at Rayne; she had a frown on her face and pain in her eyes.

 

“This has been my room since the day I was born.” Nalia replied with frustration.  “And what if I want to leave?”  She asked.  “How long will it take me to learn the Palace and the City?”

 

AJ felt something move beside him when he turned and looked he saw Rayne heading to the bedroom door.  He quickly looked back at Nick who was still on the floor holding Nalia and then back to Rayne but it was too late, the door was closing behind her.  He walked out of the room and into the hallway when he saw her heading down the hall.

 

“Rayne!” He called out to her but she didn’t stop. With a moan he rolled his eyes and then started to jog down the hall.  “Rayne!” He called out again as he got closer and he was glad to see she stopped. 

 

“What is it?” She asked turning around.

 

“Where are you going?” He asked as he approached her.

 

“To the Park.” Rayne said as she turned back around.

 

“Park?” AJ replied confused.

 

“The Park in Winnol, I need to think.” She told him as she turned back around.  “I will be alright.” She shouted back to him as she walked down the hall.  He was still confused on why she wanted to go to the Park in the first place and then he remembered, the Dryad.  Watching her until she turned down the other hallway that led to Winnol’s globe room, he thought about following her, seeing what she did there.  He then remembered the night before when he went looking for her and when he found her in their room later, she said she had been at the Park.

 

Letting his curiosity get the better of him he closed his eyes and pictured the Park at home.  When he opened them again he was there surrounded by the tall trees, green grass, and the smell of flowers flowed with the breeze.  He made his way over to some bushes near the gate hoping he would catch her walking in.  Quietly he waited and a few minutes later Rayne walked into the Park area.  She walked past him and made her way towards the large Flower Garden.  Carefully he followed her until she stopped and he found a place to conceal himself.

 

“Pixca?” She called out and his face fell a little confused.

 

“Yes my child.” He heard Pixca say and he looked towards the voice.  “I see we are still meeting here, I assume Alexander is still mad at me?”

 

“Can you not feel him?” Rayne asked.

 

“Only through you.” She replied.

 

“He is starting to understand what I had to do and I am sure with what is going on with the Dwarves he will get passed it.”

 

“I hope you are right.” Pixca told her. “Now why did you call for me?”

 

“It is about Nalia.” Rayne replied and he listened more closely. “Can you help her?”

 

“As I told you last night I can not interfere.” Pixca replied and AJ rolled his eyes as he let a small laugh out.

 

“You have interfered already.” Rayne said her voice showing a hint of anger.  “How is she supposed to be a Guardian if she can not do her job?”

 

“She will adapt.” Pixca told her.

 

“Adapt?” Both Rayne and AJ replied sharply but luckily no one heard him.

 

“Just give her time.” Pixca said.

 

“Perhaps Alex is right.” Rayne said angrily.

 

“Rayne” Pixca said with a sigh.

 

“You pick and choose, you brought me back, you changed me and you can not do the simplest thing for Nalia?” She asked as her voice became louder.  “You will leave her absolutely defenseless?”

 

“She is not defenseless Rayne you will just need to give her time.” Pixca told her.

 

“I do not understand this; it is not fare that you pick favorites.” She said shaking her head, AJ stood there in a little bit of shock that Rayne had spoken that way to Pixca and then she did something that made him worry instead of cheer, Rayne walked away from Pixca and left the Park.