- Text Size +
“No we don’t because we’re not gonna do this anymore,” Maggie replied; her arms folded firmly over her chest. She’d let him and he kept pulling back. What the heck was going on?! She wanted to be with him and she THOUGHT he wanted to be with her too. Apparently not. Fun game for him huh? She started moving toward the steps. He wasn’t going to see the tears again. How much rejection can somebody take before enough is enough?

Shit! How do you explain to a woman the reason you’re the one constantly pulling away? All they feel is undesirable. She may not have the experience yet but she certainly wants to think the man she’s dating only has eyes for her? Can’t tear them off of her? He certainly couldn’t but he knew from their online talks and from how she’d reacted in the last couple of weeks that she didn’t have the experience other woman did at this point in their life. Technically, they’d been dating almost seven months but physically, it’d had only been two weeks. He followed as quickly as he could and joined her where she stood; wrapped in one of his towels. “Maggie please try to understand.”

“Understand what? I finally meet a sweet, gentle man that I believed was crazy about me pulls away from me every time we get too close to being intimate. Why won’t you touch me?” She sniffled as the tears streamed down her face. No wonder he hates you. You’re an emotional wreck Maggie. Men don’t deal well there.

He knew he was screwed either way he decided to explain it to her so he took a deep breath. His hands skimmed over her crossed arms.” Maggie, I have fallen so hard for you. I just don’t want you to hate me.”

“I don’t hate you Brian. I just hate this part of myself.”

“I don’t. We talked about how we grew up and I know you led a very sheltered life. I don’t want you to compromise your beliefs. I’m not going anywhere. We’ll know when the time is right. I think you know that too.”

She nodded. She knew he was right. They both would know when the time was right but her head was spinning and she wanted him so bad her body ached at night. So apparently, she was ready physically but her heart needed a little more work.” Maybe we should call it a night.”

“Are you sure? We could get dressed and watch a movie. Something with a G rating maybe?” he teased.

She smiled but realized it was getting late.” I would love to stay but I have to work in the morning.”

“I’m only asking for a couple more hours but I understand if you have to.”

Oh man! He was doing that puppy dog eye thing again. When she didn’t answer, he took her hand and gently pressed his lips against the back of it.

“Please?”

It’s only a movie Maggie and you could snuggle with him. Sleep is overrated.” Okay. I’ll go get changed then meet you in the living room.” She headed for the bathroom and realized that she had fallen just as hard. They did need to slow down but in the meantime, she knew there were options to explore. Options only the girls could help her with. She’d worry about that tomorrow.



She looked so peaceful he didn’t want to wake her. They’d gotten comfortable watching the movie and she fell asleep resting against his chest. It was late and he didn’t want to wake her either. Her innocence was the very thing that turned him on. If she only knew her hand had landed on his thigh at one point. He cautiously eased up and lifted her from the couch. He gently laid her on the bed. After removing his shirt, he eased onto the other side and pulled the comforter up from the end of the bed over them and she snuggled up against him once again. He wanted her just as much as she wanted him but he had to go out of town in a couple of weeks and he didn’t want to do the hit and run for her first time. She deserved more than that.

She felt the fingers running through her hair and looked up to find his smiling face. She sleepily returned his smile.

“Good morning.”

“What time is it?” She leaned up; realizing he was naked from the waist up. And they were in a bed. She was still dressed. Well so much for that dream.

“Seven thirty.” He could see the panic in her eyes the minute he told her. He knew she was going to be worried about making it to work on time.

“I have to get home. I have to get ready for work. Brian please!” He wasn’t letting her go. Why wouldn’t he let her go?

“Maggie. Haven’t you ever called in sick?”

“No. I can’t afford to.”

“ I don’t condone it but sometimes it’s okay to take a day for yourself Maggie. Everybody does.”

“You’re not gonna back down are you?”

“I just want to spend some more time with you,” he said; pushing the hair away from her face. “I’m sorry. I understand if you don’t feel comfortable with it.”

“I’ve just never done anything like it before.”

“So is that a yes?”

She couldn’t believe she was actually considering it. He was right about everybody doing it. Her friends do but not so often they lose their jobs. “What would we do?”

“Anything you want. We could start with coffee then just go with it.”

Her days were always so planned and ever since she started going out on dates with him, she only had one coordinated night in her life with the book club. It could be fun. “Okay. I’m in.”

“I don’t want you to feel pressured. I’d just like to spend some time with you.”

“And I’d like to do that.”

“Okay. So I’ll go get our coffee, you can make your call, freshen up if you like while I’m gone.”

“You’re trusting me to be alone in your house?”

“I trust you any other time. You’re not one of those girls that plays innocent are you?” He teased.

She only wished that were true. “No but I don’t want it to be a deterrent when we get all hot and heavy as my friends put it.” She blushed.

“I promise that is not the reason. We’ve got plenty of time darlin’. Let’s enjoy it okay?”

“Okay. “ Maybe he really did respect her and not want to complicate things. Seemed to be the problem when her friends got involved that way. Just reel your hormones in Maggie.

“I’d better let you make that call before it gets too late and I’ll go get our coffee.”

“Brian.”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you,” she said and soflty kissed him.

“For what?”

“For last night. For today. Just because.”

“I should be thanking you. For the longest time, I closed my heart off to the idea of love. You came and opened that door. So thank you.”

Wow! That was the sweetest (and most romantic) thing a man ever said to her. “I’ve got a call to make.” She smiled then kissed him before moving out of his embrace. Her life was becoming a romance novel. A really good one at that!