- Text Size +
Maggie was cooking dinner when his arms slid around her waist. He nuzzled her neck as she stirred the pasta sauce. He was very distracting when he wanted to be and she enjoyed the attention most of the time but she still hadn’t approached the subject of birth control on her part. They were being careful and so far no scares but she wanted to be as close to one hundred proof as they possibly could.

Nibbling on her ear, he whispered,” I like it when you wear your hair down but I’m really glad it’s up right now.”

“Why’s that?” She replied; her resolve fading as his hands slid under her blouse.

“Because I like nibbling on you.” As he trailed down her neck.

“Brian. Dinner’s gonna burn.”

“Let it.” His hand had slid down under her leggings.

She knew she had to stop him. It was time. She was going for her first appointment in two days and it was something they really needed to discuss. “Brian. Please stop.” Oh crap! That came out the wrong way. She didn’t want to sound agitated but once his fingers found his way inside her body, it was all over and she wasn’t about to let it get that far.

He pulled back immediately. He hated being a guy in thinking it was that time but she had to at some point. Maybe she had when he was gone. Stop it you fool. She trusts you enough now to tell you those things.

She turned around and saw the look on his face. Maybe there was a reason not to get involved with men after all. She couldn’t stand seeing him look like he’d just lost his best friend. Wasn’t she supposed to be his best friend now? Well at least the one that could make him feel good between the sheets. Now she wasn’t so sure she was even that. “I’m sorry but we need to talk about something we’ve never really talked about before.”

He exhausted a deep breath then took her hand. “I’m sorry too. I just thought you didn’t want me to touch you anymore.”

“Trust me Brian. I like the way you touch me.” She bit her lip nervously. It was going to be harder than she thought.

“What is it angel?”

“I know we’ve been playing it safe on your part but I just think maybe we should hold off a little until I’m a little more protected y’know?” She looked shyly to the ground.

He tilted her chin back up. So that’s what this was about. She was afraid of getting pregnant. Well now she was. But she was right. They needed to slow down. “ You’re right. We do need to talk about it. I want to have children with you someday but I’d like to have a little more time with you before we do.”

“Me too. A month isn’t a lot to ask of you then?”

He chuckled. “I’ve waited a lifetime for you Maggie, one month isn’t going to be a burden.”

“This was easier than I thought.” She grinned.

“Was it now?” He pulled her into his arms.

“Unless you want a sticky plate of fettucini, I suggest you let me go Mr.Littrell.”

“Oh all right but after dinner, I get a snuggle on the couch right?”

“Of course.” She pecked him on the lips and returned to dinner.



But the office visit wasn’t all sunshine and roses. She had her initial visit and she thought that would be it but the gynecologist wanted to run a few more tests before she put her on the pill. How do you tell your boyfriend that it may be longer than a month? You don’t.

Her stomach was twisted in knots for a week before she got the results back. She knew she could be honest with Brian but she just didn’t want him to worry unless there was anything to worry about. Camille and Maggie were sitting in the doctor’s office waiting for the doctor to get to her.

Camille rubbed her friend’s hand comfortingly.” I’m sure everything’s gonna be okay Mags.”

She took a deep breath. “Thanks for coming with me today Cam. I really needed the support.”

“Mags, I don’t take enough personal days. It was no trouble.”

“Thank you again.”

“I apologize for the delay Miss Nelson.” Dr. Andrews sat down at the large desk across from herself and Camille. “ You seem to be in perfect health Miss Nelson.”

“But there is something wrong isn’t there?” Maggie gripped Camille’s hand tighter.

“Yes there is. There’s no easy way to tell any woman this but you may not need birth control.”

“What do you mean?”

“There is a very real possibility you may not be able to have children.”

Maggie’s lower lip started trembling. This was not happening. Her mother already hated her for being a ‘old maid’ now she wouldn’t be able to give her grandchildren? It just kept getting better and better.

“Miss Nelson. I can’t to begin understand what you’re feeling but if you’d like a second opinion, I’d be more than willing to recommend some.”

Maggie nodded as the tears started falling. She heard the doctor speaking but she was talking more to Camille at that point. She met the man of her dreams and not two weeks after he tells her he wants to have children with her one day, she’s been told that she might not be able to give him that gift.

“Maggie. Hun. Talk to me,” Camille begged.

Maggie was so overwhelmed. Why? Just when she thought her life was coming together, it started falling apart. It wasn’t fair! “How am I gonna tell him?”

“What do you mean?”

“We talked about this. He wants children one day and now I can’t have them?!”

“I don’t know Mags. “

“I meet this great guy and now I have to tell him this. I don’t think I can stand losing him.”

“Mags you’re not gonna lose him.” Camille reassured her.

“How do you know?”

“He’s a good guy. That’s how.”

Maggie’s phone started going off . Camille grabbed it from Maggie’s hand and answered it.” Hey Brian. Can she call you back? She’s a little busy right now.”

“Sure. Is everything okay?”

“Fine. I’ll have her call you.” After hanging up, she looked at Maggie. “Mags, we gotta go. I’ll keep you company as long as you like but the doctor won’t let us stay here forever.”

Maggie nodded. She hoped she was able to break this to him. This was a time when a girl really needed her mother and she wasn’t about to turn to hers. Thank God for her friends!