- Text Size +
Maggie spent the better part of the morning crying on Camille’s shoulder. She was right about Brian being a stand-up guy but even this could bring the strongest and bravest of men to their knees. She knew they could talk about anything and if they made it through this, it truly would be a God sent miracle. Why her? Why did she have to be one of those women that couldn’t bear children? Why?! It made absolutely no sense at all. She prayed her mother were a different kind of woman but this would surely be the death of what little relationship they did have.

“Maggie? How ‘bout I fix us a little tea? I know it’s not gonna solve your problem but it might help you relax a little.”

She nodded and followed Camille into her own kitchen. “Cam?”

“Yeah?” She turned back to Maggie with the box of tea bags in her hand. The water was already heating up.

“I need to call him don’t I?”

“I think you should. I’m sure he’s worried about you.”

“I’m scared Camille.”

“Maggie. I’m not going to lie to you. It’s gonna be tough but the boy isn’t going to leave you. He’s one of the good ones. You got lucky, lady.”

“So did you.”

“So don’t worry about it.”

“Have I told you what a good friend you are?”

“I know you’d do the same for me Mags. It’s no trouble.”

“Thank you.”

“Anytime lady,” Camille replied just as the knock on the door came. She exchanged looks with Maggie. “I’ll bet it’s Brian.”

“I’ll get it.” Gathering herself because she knew she looked a mess and he’d seen her worse off than this, she opened the door. “Hi.”

“You don’t look so good angel. Something we need to talk about?” He said as he stepped inside the apartment.

Maggie nodded.

Camille grabbed her purse and said, “You two need to be alone. I’ll talk to you later.”

“What’s going on baby?” He said as he took her hand in his.

“I saw my doctor this morning.”

“You’re not dying on me are ya?” He remarked as they sat on the couch.

She gave him a slight smile. “No but it’s not good either. Remember how we were talking about having children one day?”

“Yeah.”

“I know we haven’t even talked about marriage yet but I may not be able to give you children if we ever do get to that point.”

He hesitated for a moment. What was he supposed to say? She was right. They hadn’t even talked about marriage but if they were talking about wanting children, it was there.

He gently took her hand and pulled her closer to him. When she’s pressed against him he tilts her face up to his. “I love you Maggie. Only you. You believe that, don’t you?” She nodded. “Then believe this. We’ll try whatever we can. Second opinions, specialists, the works…IF you want to try. We can always adopt. Did you think I’d run because of this?” She nodded and his heart broke. “Maggie…I can’t believe you thought this would chase me away.”

Tears spilled down her cheeks. “Brian…I’m sorry. I just…”

He stood and moved away. “Maggie, I’m sad you may not be able to have children. My heart is aching, not just for me, but you. But…if you thought this would chase me away...we have to talk about this.”

She sniffled. “Brian, please. I’m sorry. You’re the first man I’ve ever been in love with. I’m afraid every move I make will chase you away. Please, please don’t leave me!”

Her hysterics sent him rushing to her side. He hauled her against his body. “I’m sorry Baby. I’m not going anywhere. You just…you have to have more faith in me. God brought us to this, he’s gonna bring us through it. Together. You just have to have faith.”

She knew he loved her but this was going to be a big obstacle. She should really listen to her friend. He was one of the good guys. The whistle of the tea kettle interrupted her thoughts briefly. “I should get that. I was gonna have some tea. Would you like to have some with me?”

“Sure.” He let her go and followed her to the kitchen. He watched as she pulled the mugs from the cabinet after removing the kettle from the burner.

She turned back and sat the mugs on the counter next to the tea box. She removed two bags from the box and placed them in the cups. She poured the boiling water into each one then sat it back on the back corner of the stove. She turned and looked him in the eye. “I’ve made a complete fool of myself. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay Maggie. We’ll figure this out. Together.”

“I think we need to discuss something else while we’re at it today.”

“What’s that?”

“The reason you have such an insecure girlfriend.”

He chuckled at her comment. “Unsure maybe but not insecure. Heck, I’m afraid if I introduce you to my friends one of them might snatch you away.”

She blushed.” I wouldn’t let them but I do need to tell you something about my relationship with my mother.”

“Are you sure you want to talk about it in light of everything that’s happened today?”

“I think it’s kind of necessary.”

“Then fire away angel. You have my undivided attention.”

“Well you know I never dated in high school and the one time I tried my Mom found out what my friends were doing and it never happened so when I got to college, I had no clue what I was doing and the first party I went to with Camille, I almost ended up doing something I would have regretted.”

“So that’s why you two are so close.”

“Yeah but my Mom put this fear of God in me against men. Like you’re all evil and only out for one thing and to her that one thing should only be for procreation.”

“And she expected you to find a man how?”

“Well I was supposed to stay home and let the hometown boys court me until I found one that was worthy of her approval instead of running off to college.”

“Didn’t she go to school?”

“No. She and my Dad were high school sweethearts. They got married almost right out of high school. I think they broke up at one point for what reason I don’t know. That’s more than my Mom ever told me. I got that from my grandma.”

“So it was okay for her to date and get married out of high school but you had to wait?”

“I never understood it either so now you have a little insight to me.”

“Not to you. It’s your mother that’s screwed up. She raised a very beautiful and intelligent woman. If she can’t open her eyes to how wonderful the rest of the world finds you then it’s her loss.”

Maggie slid her arms around Brian’s neck and softly kissed him. “You are a truly wonderful man and I will never doubt the way you feel about me again.”

“I know you won’t but I have a question for you. How would you feel about meeting my folks?”