- Text Size +
“Well?” Connie looked between the three of them and Steve took her hand.

“Brian just asked for Maggie’s hand in marriage and I gave them my blessing, “ He replied with a smile.

“You did this without discussing it with me?”

“Our daughter is not seventeen anymore. They really didn’t need my permission to begin with. Brian was just being a gentleman.”

“That’s what he wants you to think.”

Maggie glared at her mother then started in.” I have put up with a lot of things from you mother but I’m not going to let you ruin this for me. I don’t know how Daddy has loved you all these years but you must have a heart under there somewhere that he knows. Tim always got to see that. Why do you hate me so much? Why?!”

“Don’t you dare raise your voice to me Margaret Susan Nelson! I’m your mother. I don’t need a reason!”

“That worked when I was seventeen Mom! I’m thirty one. I deserve some answers as to why you never let me date. Why you didn’t let me go to Prom! I did everything you ever asked me to until I went away to college. Even then you didn’t trust I was going to make the right choices. Brian is a good and decent man and I’m going to walk down the aisle with him whether you like it or not!”

“I think maybe it’s best Maggie and I spend the night in a hotel then come back and discuss this in the morning,” Brian suggested as Maggie had buried her face in his chest. He was curious as to why Maggie’s mother treated her like she was less than herself all those years. He needed the answers just as much as Maggie did.

“I think that might be a good idea,” Steve agreed.

Connie stared at Steve in disbelief. She couldn’t believe her own husband was turning on her. That’s what it felt like. “You agree?”

“Yes I do. We’ll talk in a minute.”

Brian walked Maggie to the car and opened the door. Maggie lifted her eyes to his and apologized.

He brushed the hair from her face.” There’s no need for that angel. Your father is a saint for putting up with that woman all these years. I’ll go get our cases and you can guide me to the nearest hotel okay?”

“Sure.”

“You’re gonna be okay by yourself for a few minutes right?”
“I’ll be okay. I knew she was going to be horrible to me but I never expected her to be so rude to you.”

“It’s not your fault baby. I don’t know what held her back to hold you back all that time but you’ll find out. I think your Dad’s finally got a grip on it. Just let him convince her to talk because no amount of shouting is going to solve anything . I’ll be right back,” he said and placed a kiss on her forehead before heading to retrieve their luggage.

“Take me to my grandma’s please,” Maggie requested of Brian once he’d joined her in the car. So far, Maggie’s grandmother, Helen had been the most forthcoming in the information to her mother’s past. Maybe Brian could charm it out of her. She hoped.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” His hand came to rest over hers.

“Brian, she’s the only one that’s given me anywhere near an answer as to why my mom is so callous with me.”

He would do just about anything for Maggie and he thought that her mother should give her the answers to the questions she so longed to have but maybe she was right. It seemed as though her mother would never divulge the reasons she kept her daughter a hostage through her teenage years.” You got it angel. Just tell me where to go okay?” He lifted the back of her hand to his lips and gently kissed it when he responded.

“My mother couldn’t even let me have this one moment. I need to know why.”

“I understand baby. We’ll get your answers. One way or the other.”


Five minutes later they arrived at her grandmother’s quaint little house. Midwestern charm at it’s best. Brian assisted Maggie out of the car and held her hand as they walked up the red brick path leading to the porch.

“Is that you Maggie Sue?” Her grandmother rose from the wooden chair with padding to greet her.

Maggie let go of Brian’s hand and greeted her grandmother with a long, genuine hug. When they released one another, her grandma took her hands and said,” Let me look at you young lady. You do have that glow. This must be your young man.”

She let go of her grandmother’s hands and introduced Brian; as her fiancé. Wow. For a girl that thought she was going to grow old alone, her life sure had changed.

“Well it’s not quite official yet ma’am. I just asked for her hand,” Brian replied politely.

“First of all, call me Helen and secondly, Maggie Sue why are you two here when you should be at your folks?”

“You know how Mom and I are. She pushed me too far this time grandma. I was hoping you could shed some light on why she never let me be a teenager.”

“It’s complicated darlin. I know you want answers but I think she needs to give them to you precious.”

“Grandma, you know I wouldn’t ask otherwise but she doesn’t even want me to marry Brian.”

Helen sighed and took Maggie’s hand. “Okay. Let’s have a seat inside and I’ll tell you.”

“Thank you Grams!” Maggie beamed. Finally! And she didn’t need Brian’s charm after all.

Brian sat in the individual chair across from them as they got comfortable on the couch. “Maggie, your momma got pregnant when she was sixteen. I didn’t keep her from being a teenager because I figured everything she could do after a curfew, she could do before one. She went away to ‘take care of her sick, elderly aunt’ until she had the baby. She gave him up for adoption then came home. She still didn’t limit her dating but she was a lot more cautious about it.”

Maggie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She was denied her teenage years because her mother couldn’t keep her legs closed?! It wasn’t fair! Brian’s gaze met hers and he knew immediately to move to her side. He sat beside her and held her hand for support. “ She denied me my all my homecoming dances and proms because she thought I was going to end up like her?!” Maggie lashed out.

“She only did what she thought was right Maggie Sue. Your daddy was a godsend. Her past indiscretions didn’t matter to him. He made her believe in love.”

“Then why does she hate me grandma? Why?!” The tears started to spill from her eyes.

“Because you became everything she wished she could be. She got married so young because she thought it was the right thing to do. You don’t see her like your father does. They have their disagreements but all married couples do. She just wanted to be able to go out and do all the things you’ve done but you came along and those dreams just kind of faded.”

“That’s the real reason she never let me do anything. I was a burden to her. “

“Maggie! That’s not true! She loves you child. “

“She has a funny way of showing it Grams. I never once questioned my Mom’s decisions except for Prom. She could have done all the things she wanted to but it’s easier for her to blame somebody else for her decisions.”

“Maggie please try to understand why we didn’t tell you.”

“I’m not a little girl anymore. I’m a grown woman. I think I could have handled it when I was a teenager if she just would have told me. I’m not mad at you grandma. I just wish she had the guts to tell me herself.”

“Me too precious. Me too.”