- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



I apologize for the delay. The creative juices and muses didn't seem to be working together. I hope this makes up for it. Enjoy!


“I can’t believe you just sprung this on me Brian. I have to work in the morning you know. What if they don’t like me?” Maggie rambled as they entered the club

Brian took her hand and pulled her alongside the wall. “Listen to me.” His hand curved against her cheek.” They are going to love you . I know I do.”

Maggie blushed.

“That is why are they going to love you angel.” He kissed her softly. He was well aware he just threw this at her but he didn’t want her to overthink it either or she’d never agree to it.

“Thank you for being my rock Brian.”

“You’re gonna be just fine baby.”

“Let’s do this then,” Maggie replied; squeezing Brian’s hand and allowing him to lead them further in.

He stopped before they reached their destination and told her how wonderful she was for doing this on such short notice.

She smiled then kissed him; telling him he was the reason.

A voice interrupted their moment. “Are you gonna introduce us or keep her all to yourself Bri?”

Brian actually blushed and Maggie smirked as she held his hand firmly.

“Maggie, this is my cousin Kevin. Kevin, Maggie.”

“It’s nice to finally have a face to the girl he’s been going on about for months.”

“It’s nice to meet you Kevin. I have to say I haven’t heard a lot about any of you,” Maggie replied.

“We’ll take care of that tonight then.”

“I can’t stay too long. I do have to work in the morning.”

“We’ll keep it short then. Let me introduce you to the others.”

Brian nodded as Kevin walked her to the VIP section and into their private section of booths. She knew all eyes were on her and that was okay. That’s what this was all about but the ones she felt scrutinizing her the most were the other pair of blue eyes across the way from them. Now the whole Chris and jealousy thing made sense. “ So let me start with AJ right here and next to him is Howie and the guy over on the far side there is Nick,” Kevin made the group introduction.

Brian sat down next to Maggie and gently took her hand. He knew what it felt like to be under the microscope himself. He’d had a little more experience with it and he didn’t want her to be uncomfortable.

“So can we get you anything to drink?” AJ offered.

“Just a coke thank you,” Maggie replied.

She could feel Nick’s eyes on her; watching her every move. “Something I can help you with?” She met him eye to eye as any one of her friends would have. Now was not the time to back down from a butthead of a friend.

“I don’t get it.”

“Get what?”

“I guess you didn’t get the memo that you have be blonde and have big tits to marry Brian?”

“Last time I checked, I can change my hair color and they say you can pay for the other. Any other suggestions?” Maggie raised her brow curiously.

“Yeah. What do you do for fun?”

“Brian.” Okay, that was SO not her but it felt good. That shut him right up. That was after the short one nearby smacked him upside the head.

“Look, I get that you’re all worried that he’s got another gold digger on his hands but I can assure you that I had no idea who he was or what he did for a living and I still don’t care as long as it’s what makes him happy.”

“Good answer. Now what do you do for a living?”

“ I work in a library. I read stories to children and help people find information they need. I love what I do and I’m not about to give it up. “

“She’s a feisty one Brian. How long did it take to break her?” Nick smirked.

Oh shit! Nick was drunk . Granted, Maggie was holding her own but he could see she was starting to weaken. “Nick. “ He glared as his friend.

“What? We’re just having a good time, getting to know Mags right?”

“I feel sorry for you. Your friend finally finds somebody he’s truly happy with and you can’t be happy for him. You’re a real piece of work Nick. “ Maggie turned to face Brian. “ Can we go?”

“Sure. Could you give me a minute?”

“Of course.” She pecked him on the cheek and stepped out of the VIP room

Once she was gone, Brian laid into Nick. “What is your problem?! I bring my fiancé to meet you all and you act like some high school boy that’s jealous that his friend’s girl is getting more attention than he is. Is the honeymoon over Nick? Is that why you had to be a shit to Maggie?! That girl has been through hell and back the last couple of weeks and you just amplified it!”

“I bet she finds that sexy as hell when you get all caveman on her.”

“I WAS going to ask you to be my best man but you just bought yourself a one way ticket to I screwed myselfville. I know you’re drunk and won’t remember this in the morning but you can kiss that honor goodbye.”

“Brian,” AJ spoke up. “He’s your best friend. He’s just looking out for you.”

“No, what he was doing was spiteful tonight and you, you’re the last one I expected to be sticking up for him after your opinion yesterday. “

“She seems like a really nice girl Brian but she’s very reserved and doesn’t make much money. Nick was only looking out for your welfare like I was.”

“Yeah,” Nick chimed in on the subject and fell back against the seat.

“You know, I don’t care if either of you is at the wedding to be honest. I love her and I’m going to marry her so if anybody else has a problem, too bad. I’m going to take her home if that’s okay with all of you.”

“Bri,” Kevin started after him.

“What?! He spat as he turned back.

“I think Maggie’s perfect for you and Nick’s just pissed because he couldn’t rattle her.”

“I know. Listen, I’m gonna get her home. I’ll give you a call when everything’s settled because believe me, she’s rattled.”


“Okay. I’ll talk to you later.”

Brian found Maggie leaning against a wall near the exit. “Ready?”

She nodded and gave him a half-hearted smile. Her friends didn’t give him the third degree when he showed up; uninvited even. The radio played quietly on the way home. Neither of them said a word until they reached her door. “Was everything Nick said true?”

“About my exes?”

“Even me.”

“ They were both exactly what he said and I thought at one time that was what I wanted. I walked into that coffee shop and saw you and knew that I’d been fooling myself. “

“So you’re saying only the surface matters?”

Oh shit! He walked right into that one. “No Maggie. That’s not all that matters. That’s what I’m trying to tell you here. When I saw you, I saw more than what was on the surface because I wanted to. I never let myself get beyond the physical with them.”

“ I love you so much,” Maggie said and pulled his mouth to hers. She kissed him with all the life in her. She knew his friend was drunk and it hurt to think that her boyfriend still liked that type but she had her answer now.

“So you’re gonna be okay alone tonight?”

“Well you could come in and snuggle with me but I think your friends might get a little ticked off if I keep you too long.”

“Well they are big boys but after tonight, might be a good idea to go home. I’ll miss you. Love you.” He kissed her one last time and waited for her to get inside before he left. He was going to kill Nick. It would be a slow, painful death. He could live with that.