- Text Size +
There she sat. Her usual place. He never thought he'd look so forward to a cup of coffee in the morning like he did. She was the reason. She wasn't like other women. And when he introduced himself yesterday, she didn't react like he would have expected. He was used to most of them knowing who he was. It was refreshing to say the least. Maybe the reason he was so intrigued with her. Then there was her name. Surely she couldn't be the online romance he was carrying on. He pushed that coincidence out of his head and waited for his coffee. He was so distracted with her, he barely heard the call for his order coming up. She smiled shyly when she caught him staring at her. He couldn't help it.

And her beauty wasn't all on the outside. Those eyes hidden by the glasses held more than he could imagine at this point. He approached her and said,”Maggie right?”

She looked up from her computer screen. Wow! He remembered. Maybe it was working. She had to do this on her own and prayed she didn't fall flat on her face.”Yes,” she replied quietly.” Brian, right?”

“Yes. Is it okay if I join you?”

Closing the lid on her laptop, her hearting racing wildly.”I'd like that.” Pushing it to the side and taking a sip of her java chip frappucino.

“So what is you're working on every day when I see you typing away on that thing?” As he sat his drink on the table.

Easy question Maggie. He's just making conversation.”Sometimes it's work and sometimes it's just surfing the web.”

“So what do you do for work?”

Here comes the big turn off. Get ready for him to run.”I work in a library.”

Taking a sip of his coffee, he smiled and said,”So you were typing up what exactly yesterday?”

He's still interested. Okay.”I was working on some ideas for our children's weekly story corner. Ever week there's a different theme.”

“I bet you have some great ideas.” She blushed slightly. He was used to women doing that but for different reasons. Like nobody had ever told her she had talent.

“I don't know about that.”

“The kids enjoy them don't they?”

“Yes.”

“Then that's all that matters.”


She was baffled. He was actually interested in mousy little her? Then again, that's what she wanted right? ”They are pretty happy when they leave and the mothers are always complimenting me on how their children respond to me.”She never opened up that much to any man so soon. What was it about him that made her feel she could share even that much?

“Maybe I'll have to check out one of your story hours.” He knew she wasn't like other girls but that seemed like a place to start. Her comfort zone. She was shy. He knew that but to what extent was she?

“Maybe.” She smiled. She was starting to relax a little

His phone rang and he turned his wrist to look at the time.”Excuse me would you?” And took the call.

At least he was polite about it.

When he turned back, she knew he was going to have to leave.”I'm really sorry Maggie but I'm going to have to cut this short. I have an appointment I completely forgot about. Same time tomorrow?” He suggested with that warm, genuine smile of his.

She returned his smile.”I'll be here.”

“I'll see you then,”he said and left her there.


She let out all the breath she'd been holding in and dialed Camille's number.

“You didn't call me yesterday.”

“I know I'm sorry but we talked today. Actually talked!” Maggie squealed.

“Okay. You just got girlie. I don't know you,”she teased her friend.

“This is a serious breakthrough Cam. He knows what I do for a living and is still interested. This is huge!”

“I know Mags. But what happened yesterday?”

“I don't know. He came over to join me and left when his order was up but said he would see me today. And he did! He's so sweet Camille. I hope I'm not getting too jacked up too soon.”

“Mags, I saw the look in his eye yesterday. He wants to KNOW you.”

“You think?”

“Oh yeah. Just take it slow and before you know it you'll have that date.”

“I know this is weird to you guys. Thank you for being there for me.”

“It's what you pay us for. Now get to work cuz I have to before my boss gets suspicious.”

“Sorry.”

“It's okay. I'm excited for you really. We'll talk tonight okay?”

“Thanks again. Catch you later!” She said as they both hung up. She smiled as she packed her things up. What a way to start the day. Could life get any better?