- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



I apologize for the delay but I hope this makes up for it. Enjoy!




The DJ came across the stage and took the microphone from Brian and the room went deathly silent. Maggie enjoyed being the center of his attention but this time it seemed she was the center of everybody else’s as well. Seriously, what was happening? Brian took her hand and started speaking.


“Eight months ago I had pretty much given up on the idea of ever falling in love again then my friends suggested I try online dating. I didn’t try the dating services but my faith in love was restored when I met a girl in a chat room that up until three months after the fact I had no clue that I was passing by every morning in my favorite coffee shop.

The night I asked you if we could meet, you told me that you had met somebody else. Crushed, I asked if we could still meet. You agreed. From the conversations we’d had, I gathered that you’d put your heart on the line as many times as I had and were being cautious but when you walked into the shop that morning, I knew my life would never be the same if you weren’t part of it. Until you walked into my life Maggie Sue, I never really knew what true love was. What it was like to give your heart to someone so completely. You’ve captured my heart Margaret Susan Nelson,” He said as got down on his knee; never losing eye contact with her. “ Tell me I’ve captured yours and spend the rest of your life with me.”

He produced the box with her ring and opened it. He anxiously awaited her answer as she stared at the ring.

Her heart was going a million miles an hour. It felt like a dream all night but it was very real. She didn’t know much about jewelry other than its beauty and man it was beautiful! A shiny diamond square with smaller ones alternated with her favorite stone of sapphire that would surround her finger. She nodded and answered yes barely audible enough for him to hear. He slipped the ring on her finger and rose to kiss her. This time she really didn’t care they were putting on a show.

He didn’t pull away immediately but when their friends’ applause became thunderous, he did as he held onto her. The others had said yes without hesitation but the emotion in her eyes and the hesitation in her answer told him that her heart answered, not just her voice.

She leaned in and whispered in his ear. “Isn’t this the part where I’m supposed to run down and make my friends jealous of this beautiful ring you picked out for me?”

“I think so but I’ll walk down with you because I think you’re still staring at it too,” he teased.

He was right though. She was admiring it as they spoke. She giggled and pulled out of his embrace; taking his hand as he led her down the stairs. There was no need to go very far. The women were on the edge there; dying to get a glimpse and his friends were waiting to congratulate him.

Deidre was the first to grab her hand. “Omigod! You bitch! That’s gorgeous! He’s probably gonna take you somewhere exotic for your honeymoon too.”


“But if anybody deserves it Mags, you do. We finally get to start picking out wedding gowns,” Jasmine added.

“That is beautiful Maggie. I can’t wait to see you walk down the aisle in a gorgeous fairytale gown,” Camille joined in the celebration.

“It all still feels like a dream,” Maggie managed.

“It’s not a dream anymore Mags. You got your Prince Charming,” Chris interrupted all the girly gushing going on.

“I did.”

“I just wanted to jump in and congratulate you before you girls started planning the wedding.”

“Thank you Chris,” she replied and hugged him.

“He’s a lucky man.”

“So are you. Thank you guys for coming tonight,” Maggie said as she gave him one last squeeze.

“Would you get out of the way? I haven’t had a chance to gush over Maggie’s ring,” Trish teased him. He stepped back and allowed her to get all girly with them.

“Hey Chris,” Brian approached him.

“Hey Brian. Congratulations man!”

“I just wanted to say thank you for helping me out with her ring.”

“She does love it doesn’t she?”

“ I just love the smile this whole night has put on her face. “

“Your buddies gave you hell for this whole scenario didn’t they?”

Brian chuckled. “Yeah but it was worth it. Can I ask you something Chris?”

“Fire away.”

“Why didn’t you ever make a pass at Maggie in college all those years ago?”

“Why?”

“I’m just curious.”

“I don’t know,” He shrugged. “ I had plenty of opportunities but we were always getting interrupted just as I was about to make my move.”

“I can relate to that.”

“Don’t tell me you haven’t had girls falling all over themselves for you?”

“Sure but the ones that were worth the time and effort passed me by until Maggie came along and there’s my angel now,” he grinned as she and Trish approached the two of them.

Brian slipped his arm around her waist and she pecked him on the cheek before whispering in his ear, “This has been the most wonderful night of my life and I love our friends and all but I’d really love to be alone with you right now.”

He turned his head once she’d finished whispering. “Is that so?”

She twisted her lip between her teeth and nodded.

He kissed her softly then made a move up to the stage one more time. The DJ handed him the microphone. “I just want to thank all of you for making this a night to remember not only for us but hopefully for yourselves as well. Maggie and I are going to head out now but you are welcome to hang around and enjoy yourselves for a couple more hours. Goodnight and thank you again!” He handed over the microphone and rushed to Maggie’s side. He couldn’t get her out of there fast enough. The limousine was waiting and as soon as they were settled, he kissed her just as he did the first time they kissed. “I love you so Maggie.”

“I love you so Brian.”

“One more thing,” he replied as he retrieved the two champagne flutes and the bottle that had been chilling since they’d been inside. He popped the cork and poured the bubbly liquid into their glasses. He returned to her side and handed her one.

“This wasn’t in here before was it?”

“No, but I did ask him to start chilling it once we were inside.”

“ You are just full of surprises tonight Mr. Littrell.”

“Only for you I would do this angel.” She’d made him the happiest man alive tonight and just by the glow on her face, he knew he’d made her the happiest woman in the world. “ To us.” He raised his glass and she joined
him; glasses clinking.

“To us.” After taking a sip of her champagne, she
said,” Should we take a picture of my ring and send it to our folks?”

“You really want to do that?”

“I know my mother will never be happy for me but my dad will and I know yours will be over the moon for us.”

“Okay,” he agreed and took out his phone. After saving it , he captioned it with ‘she said yes! We’ll call tomorrow’ and hit send to all their numbers.

“Now that we’re done with that………”