- Text Size +
Lunch was incredible. He brought another rose. Actually two. Peach again. At the rate things were going , he was going to be carrying a dozen of them to her by the end of the week. It was sweet but it was time for a consult with the girls. After lunch with Brian, she sent a text message out to Camille, Jaz and Deidre asking them to meet her for happy hour. Not as uptight as you think she is. Alcohol was the first thing she tried once she got out into the ‘big, bad world’. Everything can be done in moderation. She learned that lesson all too well after the first frat party the girls took her to. Camille seemed to be the one always coming to her rescue. Thank goodness for that or her very virtue would no longer be where it is today. That was a good thing right? Had to see how things turned out after the ‘official’ first date. Technically, they’d been on two if she was counting. So far, so good.

She arrived a few minutes earlier than the others and she’d had a few eyes on her before the others got there. Wasn’t bothering her so much this time. Brian was the only man she was interested in at this point.

“Hey Mags! This must be serious. You started without us,”Jaz teased as the waitress came to take their order.

“Actually I didn’t. The guy over at the end of the bar sent it.”

“And he has friends! Way to go girl!” Deidre congratulated her.

“He’s gonna be disappointed when he finds out he ain’t getting any.”

“So what’s going on with the cutie from the coffee shop?” Camille interrupted as the other two flirted shamelessly across the bar from their table. “Girls! Later! Maggie asked us here to help her.”

“Sorry but damn he’s cute Mags!” Jasmine commented.

“So coffee shop cutie you were having coffee with this morning?”

Maggie took a sip of her drink then answered Camille.” You’re not going to believe this.”

“Try us.”

“The guy I’ve been talking to online?”

“Yeah?” The other two leaned in.

“He’s the cutie at the coffee shop.”

“Hold on. How do you know this?” Jasmine said.

“We were talking last night online when I told him there was somebody else. He was disappointed but he asked to meet still at another coffee shop saying we could be friends and I was like okay. Then he asks me what my favorite color is and I tell him.” She pauses and takes another sip of her tropical colored drink.

“And?” Jasmine said.

“So I go to meet him and come to find out online boyfriend is

“The coffee shop cutie. That is so cool Maggie,” Camille interrupted then finished.

“He brought a peach colored rose so I could find him. Then he brought me lunch at work and before I went back , he asked me to dinner tomorrow night.”

“So what’s the problem?” Deidre said.

“Seriously? When was the last time I was on a date?” Maggie glared at her friend. “You go out three nights a week at least and get laid at least one out of them.”

Camille and Jaz’s jaws dropped. Deidre was right along with them.

“I’m sorry but I meet a guy I really like and you don’t give two blinks about it. I’m supposed to just drop my life every time you meet Mr. Wonderful. If you don’t want to help, don’t bother. I’ve got plenty with Jaz and Camille.”

“God Mags! I was just kidding. You really like this guy don’t you?” Deidre apologized.

“I do. I wish this stuff came to me as easy as it does to you guys but it doesn’t. My Mother made me fear men. Why? I don’t know . I guess she figured my brother could give her grandchildren .”


“Chill Maggie. You’re our girl. We want you to be just as happy as we are. So we’re going to be supportive.” Camille directed her statement toward Deidre.

“Why do you always look at me when you say things like that?” Deidre huffed.

“Because you’re the one that always drags her feet when it comes to helping Maggie. I’ve seen this guy. He’s really cute and he really likes her.”

“So we’re not talking Brad Pitt hot here or nothing?” Jasmine said.

“You know, just forget it! I’ll figure it out and lose another one and grow old with five cats to keep me company!” Maggie said and grabbed her purse; frustrated. Why should they help? God forbid she ever have a man! She made it outside the front door before Camille caught up to her.

“Maggie come on! You know those two. They don’t mean it,” Camille attempted to reassure her but she was already in tears.

“They do too! I want to do it right this time Cam. I know everything takes time but I’m thirty years old and I’m afraid to let a man touch me below the waist. I finally meet one that I want to let do that and all those two can think about is getting laid themselves. I want something real. To know that a man wants something more than what’s on the surface. Is that so wrong?”

“Not at all. I’m gonna call Dave and I’m gonna help you. I’ll go get my purse and Jaz and De can do whatever they want. They forget what it’s like to fall in love. WE’RE going to show them what romance is all about. Just you wait! I’ll be right back.” Camille smiled at her.

At least she had one friend that understood. She swiped the tears from her face and started pulling herself together when she heard her phone go off. Probably just Camille letting her know she’d be a little longer. She pulled it out of her purse to find it was him. Well, he had to have her number so he could get directions to her place.

“Hey Maggie. “

“Hi.”

“Would it be too forward of me to tell you I called just because I wanted to hear your voice?”

She giggled. “ Then maybe I’d be out of line to tell you that I missed yours.”

He chuckled. “So I’ll see you tomorrow night at eight then?”

“Unless you’ve changed your mind.”

“Now why would I leave a beautiful girl like you all alone on a Saturday night ?”

She could feel the heat rising in her cheeks. She was glad that he couldn’t see her at that point. But Camille could. Damn!” Call me tomorrow and I’ll give you directions.”

“Do you have to go so soon?” Tomorrow wouldn’t be soon enough. He wanted to keep her on the line for as long as he could tonight.


“My girlfriend is waiting for me. I probably should.”

“Tomorrow it is then. You have a good time with your friend.”

Lord he was so sweet! “Thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow night Brian.”

“I’ll be counting the hours Maggie, “He replied as they hung up.

Camille just stared at Maggie.

“What?” Maggie said.

“I don’t know why you think you have such trouble with men. From my side it sounded like he was eating out of the palm of your hand.”

Maggie smiled shyly.

“Why’d he call?”

“To tell me that he missed my voice.”

“Oh girlie. He’s got it bad.”

“Really?”

“You don’t need any advice. You just need to be yourself.”