- Text Size +
Maggie was putting the final touches on her make up when her cell phone went off. She put the blush brush down and looked at the caller ID. Deidre. She swiped it to unlock and hit accept then speaker.

“Hey Mags. Got a minute?” Deidre inquired.

“I’m getting ready for my date but we can talk.”

“Actually I’ve got Jaz here with me too.”

“Hey Maggie!” She said.

They must have had speaker on as well. “ Hey Jaz. What’s going on guys? My date is going to be here in fifteen minutes.”

“About last night. We’re sorry. We were just trying to lighten the mood. It was in bad taste.
If this guy is really everything you want, we’ll be there for you.”

“Thank you. So why aren’t you guys out tonight?”

“We’re giving the male species a break,” Jasmine said as she laughed.

Maggie returned her laughter. “You don’t have dates?”

“More like they don’t have us. It’s girl’s night in. You have a good time Mags and we want to hear all about it before services in the morning okay?”

“De?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m gonna do okay right?” She knew she shouldn’t be nervous just from what Camille said last night but she was. She didn’t want to screw it up.

“You’re going to be fine girl. Have fun!” She wasn’t sure because she only had what she’d been told to go on but the way Maggie talked about him, she was sure the guy was crazy about her friend.
“Thanks De.”

“Anytime girlie. Talk to you later.” And hung up.

Maggie took one last look in the mirror as she draped the gold chain around her neck. It was a horseshoe charm that Camille gave her for her twenty first birthday and it always seemed to bring her good luck. She prayed that it would do the same for her tonight. She grabbed her phone and turned the bathroom light off. She found her shoes then pulled up the time on her phone. Five minutes to spare. That’s if he was on time. Please God let him be on time! She didn’t think her nerves could handle it if he was late. Her dating history proved that. She turned some music on in hopes it would calm her. It did. For about two seconds when the knock on the door came. Thank goodness he was on time. She slid her pumps on and took a deep breath before opening the door. There they were. Three peach colored roses. “Hi.”


Breathtaking. The only word he could find to describe the way she looked. “I’m not too early am I?”

She giggled. “Right on time. Come on in and I’ll get these in some water before we leave.” She told him this after accepting the flowers. The music was still playing in the background as she arranged the three individual flowers in a small vase.

He heard the music that was playing in the background. One of his songs. Well the group’s that is. She really had no idea who he was. He would have to tell her eventually. Maybe at the end of the night. “Maggie?”

Her eyes lifted up when she replied, “Yes?”

“We never did talk about what I do for a living did we?”

“I don’t think so. I figured you ‘d tell me when you thought the time was right, “She said as she slipped her shoes on then turned the music off.

“You’re okay with that?

“You tell me whenever you’re ready,” She said; grabbing her purse from the table by the door.

“So there will be a second date then,” he teased but he realized it was his nerves taking over. Maggie was so different tonight.

“If you play nice there will be,” she returned. Okay that was just not her. It’s like she was channeling Jaz or Deidre. “Shall we?” She swung the door open with her key in hand. Maybe it was because she was in her home where she was comfortable but technically they’d got past the first and second dates. It was nice to know his nerves were teetering on the edge too.


Dinner was a success but this was the part where things got tricky for her. If there were any possibility of another date, this was do or die time. It’d had been three hours of food, pleasant conversation and hand holding. Yes. Hand holding. He was the perfect gentlemen. He opened doors and held her chair out for her even. She’d never had a date like this before. Too good to be true? She hoped not. They walked hand in hand to her door. She pulled her key out and turned it in the lock . She still hadn’t let go of his other hand. It fit so perfectly it had to be right. She didn’t want to let go. Not this one. “I had a wonderful time tonight Brian. Thank you,”she said and gently pressed a kiss against his cheek.

“Maggie?” He said as her eyes came back to make contact with his.

“Yes?”

He knew he should just do it but he also knew that Maggie was the kind of girl that was worth the wait.” I had a nice time too. Would it be too forward of me to ask you for a goodnight kiss?”

She was anticipating him telling her this just wasn’t going to work and wow! He was asking to kiss her? Could her heart beat any faster? She nodded. She couldn’t find the words.

He pushed the hair away from her face; his hands resting against her cheeks. His lips gently brushed against hers. He couldn’t believe she’d actually let him. He thought this would be more like the second or third time they ‘officially’ went out. He counted too. Her lips were so soft and delicate yet he didn’t feel like he was consuming her. Her hands pressed against his chest as he turned up the volume slightly.


God his lips felt so good and his body so close. Good grief! She felt so warm and tingly in the places she’d thought were wrong to feel that way. She let him lead only so far because she could feel herself losing control with such a PG-13 kiss. No tongue but just the way the leading man holds the heroine. The kind of kiss you wait for all your life. Not wanting to but she did so and met his gaze. “ I should let you go.”

“I don’t want to let you go.” His lips met hers again as he held her tighter. He knew he wasn’t wrong in feeling what he felt because he knew she was feeling it too.

“Brian.” She gently eased out of his arms and said,” I don’t want you to go but I think you should.”

He brushed the hair from her face one more time and gently kissed her one last time.” I’ll call you after church tomorrow?”

“Works for me. Goodnight.” She smiled then kissed him on the cheek before letting go of his hand and turning to the door. She tossed her keys on the table as she slid out of her shoes. That kiss was incredible. Should say kisses. He said he would call! NONE of them ever said that before. He was going to call. She was sure of it!