- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Update 05-06-2012

 

 

Kirsten opened her eyes. It was still dark which meant that it had to be very early in the morning. Nick was in deep sleep right next to her. The sun wasn’t even up yet. Cramps of pain ran through her stomach . It was probably her period. She waited until this flash of pain went by. Within a minute or two the wave of pain slowly drifted off. Kirsten sneaked out of bed as quiet as possible and tiptoed to the bedroom door. She opened it as careful as possible to make sure she didn’t wake Nick. She stepped into the hall and quietly closed the door behind her. Another pain wave shot through her body. “Oh God” she moaned silently. She sat down on the floor off the hall since her legs couldn’t hold her anymore. This wasn’t normal. She usually had her cramps before getting her period but they usually weren’t that bad. After this wave passed by she got up again and headed downstairs. She knew she had to had painkillers as soon as possible. She first went into the toilet for a sanitary towel. Another heavy pain wave arrived. After waiting for a couple of minutes she had the power to get up again and went inside the living room for some painkillers. She always carried them with her. She didn’t used them daily, in fact, she wasn’t a big fan of using painkillers at all. But at this moment they were needed. Definitely needed. As she opened her purse she felt another pain wave coming. This one was even heavier than all the waves before. Instinct took over and she tried to puff this wave away. This pain was killing. The wave took very long.  She couldn’t sit, she couldn’t lay down, she couldn’t stand still. The only way to make it a little bearable was to keep moving. Although it must have been pretty scary for someone else seeing her move so relentless she had to do it in order not to collapse to the floor.

 

 She was so caught up in her pain that she didn’t noticed the footsteps on the stairs. The door of the living room opened and Nick appeared in the doorway in his boxers with a bed head. He looked confused and worried “Sweetie, are you okay”. He saw her moving up and down the room with her pale face and eyes drowned in pain. She puffed while she tried to answer “I.. am… just having … cramps … that’s all…”. “This is not okay. I’m taking you to the hospital” Nick walked to the phone. “No… don’t… it’s nothing… it’s just … my period… coming up”. “No, this is something else sweetie. I have sisters, I know what’s normal when periods arrive and this is not normal” he frowned worried. He grabbed the phone and called the emergency number. The nurse asked if he could take her to the hospital since this was no life threatening situation. Right as he put down his cell Kirsten collapsed on the floor and passed out. “ F*ck”  he rushed over to her to make sure she was still breathing. He felt a heartbeat. He tried to wake her up but that didn’t work. Panic rushed over him. He ran upstairs to get some clothes on and rushed downstairs again. He lifted Kirsten into his arms and rushed to the car and softly placed her in the back seat. He speeded up to the hospital. It might not be a ‘life threatening’  situation to the lady of the hospital but this situation was f*cking scary. 

 

In the backseat of the car Kirsten regained consciousness. She opened her eyes trying to understand where she was “ Nick” she spoke hoarse. “Sweetie, thank God your back again. You got me so scared”  he looked at her via the mirror of the car “How are you feeling now baby? ” Kirsten looked into Nick’s eyes through the mirror and started to cry “ Not good, it hurts” she sobbed as tears rolled down her face. “Oh baby, I wish there was something I could do” Nick felt a big lump in his throat and tears well up in his own eyes. He couldn’t bare it when he saw her in so much pain. He now was even more determined to  get to the hospital as fast as possible “Hold on sweetie, we’re almost at the hospital”  he said as he speeded his car down the highway. Who cares if he got a speeding ticket. There was no one on the road at this time of night so he could race to the hospital without being bothered by other car drivers. With Kirsten moaning and sobbing in the backseat they finally reached the hospital. Nick parked the car kind of sloppy and rushed inside the hospital with Kirsten in his arms. As soon as the hospital personnel caught eyes on them they immediately were directed to the ER and went inside an examining room. 

 

The doctor ran some tests on her, including a blood test, and they had to wait for half an hour before the results would come back. In the mean time she had gotten a heavy painkiller. They spoke about what might have caused these pain waves. At one point the doctor asked her if she had a regular period. He wanted to know when the last period had started and when she was expecting to have her period again this month. He also wanted to know if she had sexual intercourse lately. Kirsten suddenly realized that she was 3 weeks late. Until now. She told the doctor about it and explained that there had been a lot going on in her life right now and that she was unaware that her period had been absent for that long. Nick’s jaw dropped down “ Does that mean that she could be having a miscarriage right now?” “That’s definitely possible” the doctor answered. “ But how? She takes birth control pills and we use condoms”  Nick was astonished. “ Well condoms and birth control aren’t one hundred percent safe. Of course using them together is extra safe but as you two can see there is still a very small possibility of getting pregnant” the doctor answered. A soft knock on the door announced the test results. Kirsten did indeed had an early miscarriage. The doctor explained that a lot of women had early miscarriages without even knowing. It was nothing to worry about. The rest of the test results showed that Kirsten was in great health. The doctor gave her some prescription pain killers and advised her to, if she still had heavy pains and bleedings after more than three days, she had to come back for check up.

 

During the drive back to the house Nick and Kirsten both where silent. They had to digest what just happened. They never talked to each other about having kids. Of course it was very early in their relationship to make huge decisions like that but these things apparently knocked on your door when you least expected it.  “ Honey “ Nick placed his hand on her knee “I was thinking about it and this might sound weird but I am actually very happy to know you were pregnant. But I’m also feeling sad right now knowing we’ve lost it” a tear rolled down his face. Kirsten smiled sadly and rubbed his arm “I never really thought about having children but I do want them. And knowing now that we were almost there breaks my heart” Kirsten sobbed. Nick parked the car on the side of the road and held her tight “I love you”  he whispered “ an one day, sooner or later, we’ll start a family. I know you’re gonna be a great mom” he kissed her on her head as he held her even tighter. “I love you Nick, and I know you are a gonna be an awesome dad to our future baby” she sobbed. 

 

When they arrived at the house the pain killers were doing their job. Both Nick and Kirsten took a cup of hot milk and chocolate chip cookies before heading to bed again. “You said in the car that you want to have kids sooner or later, but what exactly did you mean by that?” Kirsten asked shy. “Exactly like I said it. If it was up to me you’d stop taking birth control immediately” Nick smiled and yawned at the same time “but let’s talk about this tomorrow okay? I’m very tired and you should rest as well.” Kirsten nodded being completely overwhelmed with what just had been said by the love of her life. At this point she was too tired to think about it. She quickly changed her sanitary towel while Nick waited for her outside the toilet. They both went upstairs and crawled back to bed. Nick wrapped his arm around her and held her tight. Within minutes they both fell into a deep sleep.   

Chapter End Notes:

Tell me, what do you think about this chapter?