- Text Size +
Before: Commence Operation Win Her Back


Ashley

Chris came in the apartment, threw his jacket on the hook, and came up behind me, bending over the couch back to kiss my cheek. I was engulfed in a movie on Showtime. I kissed the air back, not tearing my eyes from the screen. "How was your day?" Chris asked.

"Uh huh."

"Anything interesting happen?"

I pointed at the TV. "Bruce Willis just found out this guy is himself in the past."

Chris laughed, "You're a dweeb." I heard him walk away and the bedroom door opened and closed a couple times. I was still absorbed in the movie. Then Chris came back out and sat down next to me. He put his arm around my shoulders and stared at the TV in silence for a few minutes. "I asked Dustin to be my best man," he said, talking about this guy he worked with who had a Spanish wife that always sent authentic beanless chili home with Chris.

"I asked Nick to be my maid of honor," I answered.

Damn this movie's good.

"You what?" Chris' voice was surprised. He looked at me, "Nick?"

"Yeah, what's wrong with that?" I paused the DVR and looked at Chris.

"He's a guy?"

"Yeah but he's my best friend. Patrick Dempsey was a maid of honor."

"And he ended up in a skirt before the movie was over."

"That was a kilt," I replied.

Chris shook his head, "I can't picture Nick doing a very good job at being a maid of honor."

"I can," I replied, shrugging.

Chris sighed. "Why would you want Nick to be your maid of honor anyways?" he asked, "After the shit he pulled in January?"

"I can't hate him forever for one stupid night that was partially my own fault, Chris," I said, "I told you I went to Vegas that day knowing full well what I was getting into. It really wasn't his fault, I pet the dragon expecting not to get burned, but, Chris, news flash, dragons breathe fire."

"He could've called you sooner. After sitting twelve hours in a waiting room, he owed you that much. Maybe you don't remember how upset you were that night, Ashley, but I do, and it breaks my heart he could be so... careless... about you." Chris frowned.

I moved so I was straddling Chris, grabbed his hands and twined my fingers through his. "Nick has always been clueless when it comes to me," I said quietly. "He didn't even know what I did for a living today when it came up." I leaned forward and kissed Chris, "You're a good man for loving me like you do, sweetie, but this is a good thing. It means that broken part of me is healing, it means I have my brother back."

"Yeah, I guess."

"It also means you can be friends with Nick again," I said, smiling. "You said you miss him."

"I said that once," Chris corrected, "I'm not like... pining for him."

I smirked. "I know, you're so manly, baby." I leaned down and kissed his stubble-covered chin.

"I'd never be a bridesmaid," Chris clarified. "It's a chick job."

"Maid of Honor," I corrected, "And I'm telling you, it's not as weird as it sounds, really. Nick's going to do a great job at it. And even if he doesn't that's okay because I really want control of everything anyways."

Chris stared up at me, "Just promise me you'll be careful, okay? I don't want you to get hurt out of all this."

I smiled, "I'll be careful."




Nick

After talking to Ashley, I stopped on my way home and picked up Made of Honor, the movie with Patrick Dempsey that Ashley had been talking about earlier. I needed to study up on what the job entailed. An hour and a half of Scotish accents and Patrick Dempsey stealing back his girl later, and I realized that I needed a plan. A fool proof plan to make sure that I managed to hang onto my balls long enough to tell Ashley exactly how I felt before it was too late.

If Patrick Dempsey could do it, then shit so could I.

And, the bonus, Patrick Dempsey only had 90 minutes. I had almost six months.

I had thought of nothing but Ashley since January. And really even before that. I'd realized during my time alone in my house, thinking about her, that I'd spent years and years going on dates with her and sleeping with other women under the guise that Ashley was my 'wingman'. I'd shared my life with her already, one more step would barely change a thing. Telling Ashley that I loved her wasn't really that much different than what I'd always ever done. It was just... making it all official, I guess. But I'd been there for her since we were kids, and she'd been there for me, and we'd been through a lot. My sister, Leslie, had shown me that much in a -- I dunno, dream? apparition? I'm not sure what it was, but it had opened my eyes to a lot of things I'd been blind to before.

And I guess the reason I'd been so complacent when Chris asked me if he could ask her out was because of that vision or whatever. Because Ashley loved me, and always had, and I didn't think Chris could detour that affection. I took her for granted because, even while I wasn't calling her or seeing her because I was afraid of her reaction to my scar, I never dreamt that she wouldn't be there waiting for me when I was ready for her. But I guess some time along the line, Ashley just got sick of waiting.

Well she wouldn't have to wait anymore.

I was going to be the best fucking maid of honor that ever walked the face of this earth. So good in fact that Ashley would fall in love with me and I wouldn't have to be a maid of honor anymore.

Maybe I wasn't gonna be the best maid of honor.

Commence operation win her back.