- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

enjoy!

  1. Someday Maybe

                November 2015

He was too nervous to sit still. With an excited grin he kept hopping from one foot to the other. Nick was gonna be sooo happy! It had been Baylee’s idea really. Actually, he’d just mentioned it, Dad was the one that made it happen.

“Jeez, stand still, you’re gonna ruin the whole surprise!” Dad said crankily.

“I’m sorry! I can’t helpt it!” Baylee grinned.

“And what am I supposed to do?” came an insecure voice from the other side of the room.

“Why aren’t you hiding already?” Dad said, unbelieving, “It’s the whole point of the surprise!”

“You think Nick’s gonna be happy?” Baylee wondered and looked up at his father and smiled. Dad did not smile back. He seems a little stressed.

“It’s not about him being happy, it’s about him being surprised. And that’s not gonna happen if you guys don’t work with me!”

“Okay, okay, we get it. Relax, Brian.” The other voice joked from across the room.

“Get down and hide. Then I’ll relax.

 

March 2015

“Come on, Bay. We gotta go.”

“What? Where?”

“Home.”

“But I thought…”

“Yeah, change of plans.” Dad looked pissed off. Baylee wondered if it was his fault, but didn’t dare asking. Instead he watched wordlessly how his father packed his suitcase furiously. He was breathing hard and Baylee realized he’d never seen his dad so angry.

“Dad? You okay?”

Dad stopped his packing momentarily, stared straight ahead for a moment and finally glanced Baylee’s way. He could see the fury in his father’s eyes and it scared him. Involuntarily, he took a step backward. Dad had shifted his gaze and began stuffing the suitcase once more.

“I’m fine!” he spat angrily, “If someone asks me if I’m okay one more time, I’m gonna…” he left the threat hanging in the air and growled.

“I’m sorry… I just… why are we going home?” Baylee asked cautiously, trying not to tick his father off. Dad was like a landmine now, one wrong step… BAM! He stayed silent for quite a long time, and Baylee began to wonder if the older man had even heard him.

“Dad?”

“Because we have to. Now go get your stuff.”

“We don’t have to,” Baylee protested, “Tour doesn’t end for six more weeks, right?”

“It ends for us. Go get your stuff.”

“I don’t understand!” He was getting frustrated now. Why couldn’t Dad just tell him what was going on? Why couldn’t anybody ever tell him what was going on?

“Baylee, damnit, just get your stuff! Be ready in ten minutes.”

“No! I don’t wanna leave! You can’t make me!”

BAM! He’d just taken the wrong step…

 

November 2015

“I think I can hear them!” he exclaimed excitedly.

“Shh!” Dad warned. “Okay, I’ll open the gate, you guys… don’t move!”

“Is he always this authoritative?” she wondered, “I can’t remember exactly…”

“Not on Tuesdays,” Baylee murmured quietly and she laughed. “You’re funny. You got that from your father, didn’t you?”

“Mom can be funny too,” Baylee paused for a second, “Wait, no, it’s my Dad definitely.”

“Haha, I want a kid like you,” she stated and Baylee frowned at her.

“Err, thanks… I guess.”

“Oh yeah, that was a compliment.” She assured with a smile. Faintly, they could hear the front door open and loud voices coming their way. Baylee’s eyes got big and he frantically gestured to her.

“Get down! Get down! They’re almost here!” he said urgently.

She dropped like a ragdoll and Baylee snickered. The door to the living room opened and the others stepped in. He had to supress a laugh because of the priceless expression on Nick’s face. He looked fairly suspicious and seemed prepared for attacks of all sorts. Dad’s endless pranks from the past had put a radar on Nick and he was ready for nearly anything.

“Now!” Dad yelled suddenly and it became clear that Nick had been prepared for nearly anything, but not everything. Baylee would never forget the look of pure surprise in his eyes when she appeared from behind the stool. The surprise soon turned to an expression of joy.

“You? How? What are you doing here?” he exclaimed, jumping up and down in excitement.

“Well, I actually just came for Baylee’s birthday in two weeks, but hey, it figured you’re here too!” Lauren joked lightly, laughing when Nick threw his arms around her neck.

“God, I’m so glad you’re here!” he yelled happily.

“Alright big boy, I’m glad I’m here too!” she smiled.

“I love you so much, please don’t ever leave me!” Nick rushed quickly and Lauren laughed. Baylee wasn’t fooled. He could read the hiding meaning in Nick’s word and it made him frown.

 

March 2015

You think I want to leave? Do you?his father demanded harshly.

“I… I don’t know,” he drawled nervously.

“This wasn’t my idea either, you know!”

“It wasn’t?…” he replied lamely.

“No! You can thank my friends for this!” Dad declared, stalking away to the bathroom. Baylee let himself drop unto the bed. Suddenly it became crystal clear what must have happened. Baylee had been waiting for this moment for a long time actually, but he’d never figured Dad would have reacted the way he had. This is so not right.

“You’re ready?” Dad questioned impatiently when he returned from the bathroom. Baylee could clearly read the exhaustion in his eyes, see the lines of pain on his face and realized that whatever Nick, Howie, Kevin and AJ had done, was probably for the best.    

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

please review for more, thanks!